What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silica-Agsil-Protekt-Whatever

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Anybody else see no visual benefit from using this stuff. My stalks look no bigger or stronger and it sure as hell doesn't help my buds from bending over without support. Looks like another thing I didn't need that the plant was already getting in my well water or in the base nutes. Off to the worthless crapola cabinet it goes:biggrin:

papaduc

Veteran
The effect is definitely not as pronounced as they'd have you believe. If there is a benefit, it's on a tiny level, like every other additive out there.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
i think my stalks bend without breaking more successfully. but it might be my imagination too. i have to agree though, the beneficial effects are mostly unapparent. i keep using it though. superstition? probly. another urban cannabis myth? maybe. another fraud perpetuated by nute companies? probly.:laughing:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
The TINIEST of threads was so fucking TOUGH to simply pinch/pull off.. I attributed it to the recent addition of Protekt…

Then how do you explain the fact that those same outer hemp fibers have been mankinds favorite material to make ropes for the last 10,000 years at least. It would still be the number one choice for ropes if cotton and synthetics weren't a LOT cheaper to produce. I kinda doubt anyone had to run around adding extra silica to get what was already the strongest fibers for weaving rope known to man.

papaduc

Veteran
The biggest difference you make to your grow is with technique and timing... The decision when to switch your seedlings/clones from fluorescent to HID, how you pot up and when, whether you overfeed or don't, will make literally huge differences to the structure of your plant. Silica will never do that. That is a scientific and biological fact. It will never have that big an impact on your grow. Nothing will.

At the point when two plants are being grown really well and are both very healthy and strong, the one with silica added might have a small percentage of a boost in it's defence against certain pests etc, or slightly more give in the branches.. or some other small benefit.

At the end of the day, if the plant uses it, adding it will never be bad, but focusing on any additive ahead of things like light distance, intensity, training and potting up, will always be counter productive. A grower using nothing but a basic plant food but who's hitting every one of those targets on point, will have bigger structure and build in their plants and will yield more than someone who misses them and uses every booster, preventative and additive under the sun.

theother

It's beneficial, it also serves a super necessary purpose in that if you weren't using it you would use ph up which is just potassium salts with no benefit. The reason they don't bottle it in with nutes is because it locks a bunch of stuff out (hence the adding it to res first or you see the white cloud.

If your on well water Stoney that could change stuff. Is your water consistent? What is the ec? I have never had well water I could use, every time I was on a well I had to ro and even then I ate filters and membranes.

I've got some bad water at this spot too, if I'm not johney on the spot with a sediment a month and a odd every two my membranes will on,y go about 6 months, think I can get a year out of them if I keep changing filters.

theother

Sorry for the double post stopped in traffic had a quick thought. Silica is good for heat I have seen that, had an air cooled garden last summer that did better than any I could remember at those temps, based on this I have used it for the ph aspect and also a bit more chelated potassium. IMHO it's not bad to have several sources in the same mix. It's definitely going to be dine differently than a bottled nute with potassium. Think u will find it helps frost things out,

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
It's beneficial, it also serves a super necessary purpose in that if you weren't using it you would use ph up which is just potassium salts with no benefit. The reason they don't bottle it in with nutes is because it locks a bunch of stuff out (hence the adding it to res first or you see the white cloud.

If your on well water Stoney that could change stuff. Is your water consistent? What is the ec? I have never had well water I could use, every time I was on a well I had to ro and even then I ate filters and membranes.

I've got some bad water at this spot too, if I'm not johney on the spot with a sediment a month and a odd every two my membranes will on,y go about 6 months, think I can get a year out of them if I keep changing filters.

I live right on the bank of a Glacier fed river so in effect I'm just drawing river water 40' down through the mountain scree rock of the avalanche chute I live on. While it's almost neutral water 7.2 ph the minerals and their percentage change constantly with the amount of glacier melting and the amount of rainfall. It never registers more than 150ppm. I can see by residue it's high in calcium and iron but I ain't spending $500 to have it tested. It comes out of the tap at 42 degrees, tastes awesome and fuk the plants, they can drink it or die:biggrin: I'm getting some residue in my blumats lines that I think is caused by that silica which is why I'm not going to use it this next run to see if that's it. If that ain't it then I may start using the agsil again.

theother

I live right on the bank of a Glacier fed river so in effect I'm just drawing river water 40' down through the mountain scree rock of the avalanche chute I live on. While it's almost neutral water 7.2 ph the minerals and their percentage change constantly with the amount of glacier melting and the amount of rainfall. It never registers more than 150ppm. I can see by residue it's high in calcium and iron but I ain't spending $500 to have it tested. It comes out of the tap at 42 degrees, tastes awesome and fuk the plants, they can drink it or die:biggrin: I'm getting some residue in my blumats lines that I think is caused by that silica which is why I'm not going to use it this next run to see if that's it. If that ain't it then I may start using the agsil again.
150 ppm@500 isn't bad, I think if my water was .3 ec I would rethink to too, good for you. Ya I get it, fuck buildup right, but honestly salts and blue mats.....I don't know.

I was just thinking about something, when it makes the white cloud and binds cal and mag does it make them available through the potassium chelate or does the cal amd mag bond to the chelate and make the whole mess unavailable. I know calcium can have a funny effect and I know row crop guys definitely handle calcareous soils differently.

If I don't wash my 3 ML droppers out after sucking up the silica it leaves a white film inside them...

you from HI, I use to live in Kailua, oahu...have family in waimanalo...

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I moved to anchorage the summer of 82 went to jewel lake and had all these people swimming so I ran in and dove...instant icecream headache,I couldn't belive the pain.Fortunatly I had 19 hrs of sunlight to warm up.