What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What yields are you getting with the Gavita & E-Papillon?

No see Ums

In a closed system over 2+ per light is easily achieved. 1.5 to 2 was always the standard but now i feel and see pushing 3 per light is possible as a regular goal. Although you need very tall cielings a great AC and i am not taking into consideration people doing less than 4 lights .

313Ninja

If you aren't getting 2+ per light, you have to evaluate some variables in your grow. The gavita's and e-pap's are great fixtures, as long as you can compensate for the heat, and be able to read your ladies, and you have the vertical real estate.

3lb's with a dialed in evironment, stable genetics that you have grown a few times and know exactly how to run it, with a highly aerated soil less medium or hydro....

Environment and genetics are 80% of the equation though....you can only take a plant to it's genetic potential.

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got 4 gavitas.and my room is almost done 16 plants under 1 light I'm running geo pots in trays with co2 as soon as I pull I post what I get so far I love these lights

I don't know if you will post a pick of your room Mity but I would like to see that setup...sounds like a yeilder:tiphat:

Mad Lab

I have quite a bit of experience with utilizing gavitas in households with limited height. Here's some tricks as well as some results and numbers.

1. Purchase the 1000 DE pro series gavita with the remote ballast.
2. Purchase the Sun System - Agrotech Magnum Double Ended Reflector Hood.
*This will allow for the light to spread out horizontally as opposed to directly below.
3. Make sure to have at least 2 levels of (hortinova plastic)trellis. If you are running a sativa dominate strain that stretches in flower, i would suggest 3 levels of trellis.
*This allows you to weave your branches through the netting and create an even canopy as well as the height you want.

As for numbers, here's a good comparison for you guys:

Strain: Gorilla Glue #4
Plant No: 9
Plant size: Top at 1 week veg. flowered at week 2.5 veg. Plants topped at 1.25ft high when placed into flower.
Area: 4x4 tray, 5x5 canopy area.
Light: Gavita Pro Series 1000, set on 1000 for entire grow. (bumped up to 1150 at week 4-6 of flower)
Medium: 6x6 Rockwool Cubes
Irrigation: Drip system drain to waste
Nutrients: House and Garden Aqua

Now I have done multiple runs with exactly the same system, but with Lumatec 1000w HPS , DigiLux Bulbs, and open hoods.

Here's an average of quite of few grows of each:

Gavita 5x5 area: 2.97lbs
HPS 5x5 area:

Meison

I wouldn't change the reflectors on the gavitas, the HR96 DE is made for the bulb to be placed in the best spot inside the reflector, so it actually works to its best with the reflector it comes with. Almost 2/3 of your light comes from your reflector. I wouldn't touch that. 96% sounds hella good for me

Also, the reflector works great to the sides spreading the light, but not to the front and the back, that's why its so easy to overlap them side by side and not one in front of the other.

Also the 1000 DE has way to many umols/s to be placed to close to the canopy, cannabis can take up to 950-1000 umols/s before saturating. That's why the 30'' distance, its for a better efficiency on the umols/s/m2, making a complete 2x2meters area with an average of 800-950 umol/s.

Also, the balast don't heat up that much. If you have a good fan, AC is not needed unless you have height issues, then 4000btu is needed to cool a single 1000w DE ballast, its not really that much.

Mad Lab

Agree with everything you said. Unfortunately, it doesn't really pose a solution to 8 foot ceilings if you choose to run a sativa dominate strain that triples in size, when you are running tray etc etc.

I can tell you right now that I've run the 1000e DE with attached ballast(best fixture around in my opinion) next to a 1000 Pro remote ballast with Magnum hood with 7 foot ceilings and Gorilla Glue 4 which is a nasty stretcher.

Because of the tall ballast attached to hood. I lost 2 inches where I could have taken the reflector up to the ceiling farther. 2 inches is huge when your working with 7 feet.

1000e DE's canopy had slight heat stress, while my 1000 Pro did not. Heat stress absolutely reduced my yield, approximately 15%.

So , while i agree that the fixture is superior, I don't believe that it is practical for most home growers situations.

Meison

Agree with everything you said. Unfortunately, it doesn't really pose a solution to 8 foot ceilings if you choose to run a sativa dominate strain that triples in size, when you are running tray etc etc.

I can tell you right now that I've run the 1000e DE with attached ballast(best fixture around in my opinion) next to a 1000 Pro remote ballast with Magnum hood with 7 foot ceilings and Gorilla Glue 4 which is a nasty stretcher.

Because of the tall ballast attached to hood. I lost 2 inches where I could have taken the reflector up to the ceiling farther. 2 inches is huge when your working with 7 feet.

1000e DE's canopy had slight heat stress, while my 1000 Pro did not. Heat stress absolutely reduced my yield, approximately 15%.

So , while i agree that the fixture is superior, I don't believe that it is practical for most home growers situations.

I agree Gavita's are not for the average grower! To get the best out of them you need the right infrastructure! And a well though set up!

If you can spare some $$$ get an AC and the 1000 DE, you won't regret it !!

BTW I got that link for the research paper, pls allow your user to receive pm

Last edited:
F

fishwhistle

I think this is why gavita made the 750de,for those with less ceiling height.

Mad Lab

I think this is why gavita made the 750de,for those with less ceiling height.

I prefer to purchase the 1000 DE and turn it down to 800. If you move and want to utilize the full use of the 1000, you can. Also the 1000 isnt too much more than the 750.

BIGGS

Veteran
I prefer to purchase the 1000 DE and turn it down to 800. If you move and want to utilize the full use of the 1000, you can. Also the 1000 isnt too much more than the 750.

from what ive read doing this the 1000w turned down 800 is less efficent than the 750 running at 750.

Mad Lab

I like to push my 1150's with 8 foot ceilings. But that's because I prefer 3+ units a 5x5 area instead of likely 2. That's if your doing everything else right and have the right genetics.

DrFever

Veteran
although 750 are quite the addition to any room 1150 will dominate in every which way or form and talk about a one cool cookie i have changed all my lighting to Gavita's reason to reduce my heat and increase my efficiency
as for them 750's i have been talking to my supplier about them would be slick 2 750 's for side lighting 1 lep plasma inbetween 2 - 1000's

Mad Lab

has anyone run both a gavita and a cmh? 3 pounds of glues per 1k sounds great!

Indoors I use CMH's to veg and Gavita 1000e DE to flower.

I use Gavita LEP for supplimental lighting in greenhouses during the spring season March-May to provide the extra 4-7 hours of light continuing veg.

Gavita 1000e DE in greehouses during winter months about 8 ft above canopy to basically run an indoor run.

Mad Lab

Although the Glue is interrupting the average veg time so I really dont use the CMH 's very long. Glue need to be flowered for me quickly as it gets too big too quick.