What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coffeeshops in the UK

theclearspot

am I going mad or did I read somewhere that there are Coffeeshops in the UK? I mean it cant be correct surely considering its illegal etc and the UK is so metropolitan elites and dullard politicians...:biggrin:

gang-of-trees

Lol, no coffeeshops here mate, yes its illegal.

I do remember back in 2001 a guy called Colin Davies opened a coffeeshop up called the dutch experience.
It's wasn't far from me so used to go abit, think it was open for around a month it was raided twice with Colin getting sent down.
Shame really.

thcglory

Lol bud,theres none nr me!! Did hear a while ago from "paparazzi pops" a while back somebody set one up down south of England or was going to? Didnt tho_Or didnt last long.re:above post.Illegal yes.

tE

audioaddict

A few have tried it, but local busy bodies always have them closed down pretty quickly.

There are certainly no real, open to the public, coffeeshops in the UK... yet.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
^errm..... i beg to differ. i have visited the hole in the wall cafe on more than 1 occaision.
the locals preferred it there as it cut trouble in the area. it was raided many times, but carried on. there are vids about showing the attempted raids, but that place was buttoned up tight, one raid ended with the old bill putting a tractor through the wall .... hence hole in the wall

B

buddymate

Nol van schaik ran a coffee shop management course years ago at willie wortels aimed at UK entreprenuers wanting to cash in on the coffee-shop market should weed become decriminalised,Jamiroquai was planning a really flash million quid affair :tiphat: but all the plans sank like a lead balloon :comfort:

theclearspot

Interesting read,cant see it being legalised in the UK though. i remember years ago the 'Brixton Academy' used to be a virtual coffee shop,the minute you walked in you could see the pot smoke...hanging like a huge cloud as The Clash broke into 'White Riot'.....

audioaddict

^errm..... i beg to differ. i have visited the hole in the wall cafe on more than 1 occaision.
the locals preferred it there as it cut trouble in the area. it was raided many times, but carried on. there are vids about showing the attempted raids, but that place was buttoned up tight, one raid ended with the old bill putting a tractor through the wall .... hence hole in the wall

But it has since been closed down right?

In 2010 I believe.

Plus, maybe I should have been clearer, by real and open to the public I meant legal and safe to visit, the place in Lancing was open to the public but with police bursting thourgh the walls at any given moment, I wouldn't be going there just to get hit with a section 18!

spice A

despite previous attempts being squashed by the police, there are a few private members clubs about. They are pretty "private" to be fair to avoid public awareness! i think with 2 states legalising in America there is a real chance of progression with the failed attempt at prohibition in the UK.
As soon as there is a radical shift in policing i intend on setting up a small coffeeshop, it has always been a dream of mine and i think we all know the market possibilities in the UK!
I imagine there are a lot of other people poised such as myself, but i will be seeking advice and contacts on this site if it does. Considering the cream of the crop in the uk is on here.

fingers crossed!!!

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
But it has since been closed down right?

In 2010 I believe.

Plus, maybe I should have been clearer, by real and open to the public I meant legal and safe to visit, the place in Lancing was open to the public but with police bursting thourgh the walls at any given moment, I wouldn't be going there just to get hit with a section 18!
cannabis is illegal in the uk.
therefore there cannot be any 'legal and safe' coffeeshops in this country untill there is a change in the law.
sorry if i misinterpreted your question, but i would have thought it obvious that there are no legal places to consume illegal substances.
also, section 18 is a public order/ violence offence, so as long as you didnt kick off, that wouldnt happen

Last edited:

DannyDanky

No - unless you have a connection. Yes - if you look hard enough or know the right people!

TLDR :
I live in the East London area and am currently aware of three ( I won’t share locations for obvious reasons).

I’ll share one experience but will not be specific about any details.

One coffeeshop I visited a last summer was fairly central (zone 1) and was based on the top floor of some non-descript buildings.
I visited on a Sunday with a group of friends who already knew about the place. When we approached the building we rang a buzzer. There was a 20 second pause whilst we were assessed by the camera next to the door. They must have assumed we looked OK as they told us to come up.
We walked up about 6 or 7 flights and we got a really nice surprisee.

Despite the fairly ominous security when I got in I found the atmosphere to be totally chill. It appeared most of the people visiting there were students / hipsters and as it was summer and a world cup year they were showing the football on large TV screens which was a really nice touch!
Both bud and hash was sold - a bit more expensive than road prices. They also sold snacks and drinks as well.
I stayed there for a few hours.

When you find a decent London coffee shop you really have to make the most of it whilst it lasts. Once words spreads you get a load of chavs, scumbags and hard drug users and they become an obvious target for the police and are either shut down or the owners get prang and shut shop and move on.
Really the feds are playing a game of ‘whack-a-mole’ as when one coffeeshop disappears another one opens; sometimes with the same owners!!

__

Last edited by a moderator:

sandsmp81

Veteran
Nol van schaik ran a coffee shop management course years ago at willie wortels aimed at UK entreprenuers wanting to cash in on the coffee-shop market should weed become decriminalised,Jamiroquai was planning a really flash million quid affair :tiphat: but all the plans sank like a lead balloon :comfort:

Lol jay Kay the earth loving hippy with the petrol guzzling supercars.

Hope you are well buddy you've been missed here :tiphat:

hazyfontazy

Veteran
it wont be long before we get some sort of medical and/or recreation use laws changed ,,looking back in this thread in 2012 there was 2 states in usa allowing weed use ,,i aint sure how many it is now but its probably enough to warrant research by our dimwitted government ,,currently their #1 earner the pub is rapidly losing favour and hundreds are shutting and that means mills lost in tax ,,them greedy fuckers will want to replace it ,coffeshops will be a great earner ..

Hoypare.

Lol jay Kay the earth loving hippy with the petrol guzzling supercars.

Hope you are well buddy you've been missed here :tiphat:
Still around mate,just a name change after media exposure :tiphat: Theres a coffee-shop opening very close to me soon,the guy who is opening it was at the product earth expo :tiphat: