What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I be using calmag with canna coco a/b with Tap?

spaceboy

Should I be doing this?

Also I'm having some sort of deficiency or lockout problem. I think my magnesium and potassium are off. Whether its lockout from salts or just a deficiency, would a flush with 1/2 strength nutes take care of it?

Thanks

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What nutes are you using & how much of them ? etc..... we need more info :)

Vape-pro

I use it with canna A/B but i use RO water and I suspect your ppms are too high to start. Cut the cal mag in half and or run half tap and half clean water. Hope that helps. peace

spaceboy

Thanks for the advice guys. Using canna coco a/b at 10ml/gal. How bout the whole flushing situation? Do you think that should take care of it either way?

Been using canna for awile now and its pretty easy if you keep a few things on lock. PH very important. My tap ph rises on its own, so I ph everyday and avoid that problem. Check your runoff ph and ppm that"ll tell you if your " locking out". prob be way high or way low on ph??????
Temps are a issue this time of year, if they get too cold they wont eat = build ups or lockouts. Never let em get below 60! i run around 70 all the time!
Get yourself some drip clean from House and Gardens !!!!!! Shits so good to prevent lockout and build ups....
Finally water with plain water a couple days a week, plants dont need to be fed 24/7/365. The better you dial your feeding the more youll get out of the babies Less is more with canna!!

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Been using canna for awile now and its pretty easy if you keep a few things on lock. PH very important. My tap ph rises on its own, so I ph everyday and avoid that problem. Check your runoff ph and ppm that"ll tell you if your " locking out". prob be way high or way low on ph??????
Temps are a issue this time of year, if they get too cold they wont eat = build ups or lockouts. Never let em get below 60! i run around 70 all the time!
Get yourself some drip clean from House and Gardens !!!!!! Shits so good to prevent lockout and build ups....
Finally water with plain water a couple days a week, plants dont need to be fed 24/7/365. The better you dial your feeding the more youll get out of the babies Less is more with canna!!

^^^^^ Yeah all that..I hit this thread due to many of my 'people' having issues with cal-mag..most tap water does not need it IME..and a solid second on the drip clean!!!! Great stuff

Lowman

First of all...don't feed coco plain water except when doing a final flush. Using tap water is fine for coco. I have never had to use RO water with coco. I only add 1.5 ml calmag/G before adding nutes. I keep my ec around 1.2. It will go a little higher with a bloom booster...but otherwise 1.2ec. My tap water is 0.6....so getting to 1.2 doesn't require much nutes.

A flush with light nute strength is not a bad idea in coco I find.

A little more info and maybe some pics would really help us understand what's really going on though.

Mister_D

Veteran
What is the EC or ppm's and conversion factor of your tap water? Cal-mag shouldn't be needed with canna and tap, unless your tap water is very pure. I'd suggest you call your water company and get a copy of the most recent water test. Should be free and will give you a better idea of what exactly is in your water.

analogue

Have you had your tap water analyzed? It's easy to have done. Then you'll be able to make more educated decisions about your fertigation regimen for your ladies.

BongRipkenJR.

Canna coco A+B wasnt enough for me with tap water. I rocked 1/4 strength Cal-mag at first and then 1/2 strength. Everything got so nice and lush. You will need a PK booster in flowering. You also need to make sure your pH is spot on and not drifting outrageously. I wouldnt even fuck with coco without a proper pH monitor.

TheCatsMeow

Canna coco A+B wasnt enough for me with tap water. I rocked 1/4 strength Cal-mag at first and then 1/2 strength. Everything got so nice and lush. You will need a PK booster in flowering. You also need to make sure your pH is spot on and not drifting outrageously. I wouldnt even fuck with coco without a proper pH monitor.

a ph meter is so key when it comes to canna & coco!!!!!

spaceboy

Thanks for all the input everyone. I do have a ph meter and used to have a combo meter, when i tested before water was like .37ec. I did a flush the other day on my vortex with a light nute solution and then feed about 7ml a/b/gal and its looking even worse. Lots of rust looking spots and burning of the leaves, all leaf stems on all plants are very purple. I will try to get some pics up later seeing that the flush didnt help. Thanks again!

T

TribalSeeds

What stage of growth are you in? Purpling stems sounds like these are brand new clones? I dont have much info, but Ive killed a few clones in my day.
Back the lights off until they can handle higher ppms. If you are using tap, dont use cal mag w/canna unless you show signs of deficiency. Even then check everything else first, including recalibrating your meters.

spaceboy

Im in flower about from 4-6 weeks. Just went out and got some drip clean, hoping this will clear it up.

If I use the drip clean and am sure its not salts, does that mean nothing is being locked out as long as ph and temps are ok? I'm just wondering if something is causing my mag to get locked out or possible potassium.

T

TribalSeeds

Im in flower about from 4-6 weeks. Just went out and got some drip clean, hoping this will clear it up.

If I use the drip clean and am sure its not salts, does that mean nothing is being locked out as long as ph and temps are ok? I'm just wondering if something is causing my mag to get locked out or possible potassium.

Drip clean wont prevent lockouts caused by an over abundance of other nutrients. The ratios still have to be kept within range. I dont really know what ratios Im using, I just try not to overdue anything

gonzo`

things go wrong and people just add calmag... honestly guys, canna a+b has more than enough calcium and magnesium in there without you needing to add more.. your pH in the medium is wrong or your EC in the medium is wrong OR BOTH!!!

spaceboy

Here are some pics of one of them, most of the others are pretty much the same, but not quite as bad.

picture.php

picture.php

jd4083

Veteran
I use Canna Coco A+B with only tapwater, no calmag necessary. If I used R/O or filtered water I would have to use it. You can typically check the mineral concentrations of your local water on your local government website, just do a google search.

Mister_D

Veteran
Here are some pics of one of them, most of the others are pretty much the same, but not quite as bad.

picture.php

picture.php

You are definitely having a calcium def., but i'm also seeing the claw caused by overfeeding. So my thoughts are that you over fed and are now experiencing lockout. If your tap water is .37 EC then it likely has plenty of calcium to support healthy growth, this could be confirmed with a water report. My advice is to take samples of your media, about a spoon full more if you want, place in a jar/shot glass and add enough RO or distilled water to barely cover the media, allow to sit for an hour, then strain the media out of the water, ph test the water, this is the actual ph of your media. It should be between 5.5-6.0. If it's not let me know what it is and i'll further advise how to correct it. Also while you have that water test it's EC, this should read between 1.0-1.4. Again report back here and I will advise. Flushing is in your future, but it needs to be done properly to have the desired effect. Get me this information, and we'll get you sorted out :comfort:.

Latest posts

Latest posts