What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrients and Additives (UK)

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
The first time that I used Silicon was years ago in NFT. I was topping up the tanks virtually every day and added the 1ml/L dose that they (Growth technology) reccomend-except you are only supposed to give them that dose once a week. So i worked out that they had had approx 7times the reccommended amount. The stems went woody v early-so that they could not expand as the plants grew. The result was budz of a reduced size on top of these thin woody stems-it looked odd.
I got the dosage right after that.
Then growing on coir i didn't use it for several years-didn't know any coir growers who were and no-one i asked seemed to know. I've been using it in coir for a while now-but think that i recall being told not to use it in flower which i generally don't (only occasionally when i've messed up the ph).

I see you are using it in flower, FM-any excessive woodiness-or other oroblems?

I've never considered the effect that using Silicon might have on LST-bending etc-so thanks for that-something to mull over as i do alot of training and am noticing how diff strains respond to bending/breaking-perhaps the Silicon is making them more brittle and prone to snapping? Don't know.
Another thing about Silicon is that it takes the ph through the roof-which can be useful or can be a pain depending on the rest of the stuff you are using. ATM i'm using Growth Technology Liquid Silicon around 1/2 ml/L once a week (half the reccommended dose) until the first week of 12/12 and then a couple of times during the rest of flowering at a lower dose-probably an insignificant amount.

cheers
eddieS

cannaboy

oops!! back in a mo,,

picture.php

It is a mess!!!

funkymonkey

I've never seen any deleterious effects from using silicon. I've only used it in soil, coco and dwc and never had any issues. I give it once a week but I also use it as PH up so I sometimes add a wee bit yo my nutes a bit more often when PH adjustment is needed but as my tap water is near perfect I don't adjust PH that often. When I do give them a capful of silicon in 5 litres of feed once a week I usually have to add a bit of PH down to bring the PH back down.

cannaboy

I never used it for long enough to tell, the stems go fat with carbo and veg feed, I think vegtime and light is more important I can remember brittle stems no bounce back (Droop) from rino skin when supercropping lots of splits not what I expected,, the sample of barricade I had was used on a good grow and performance was somewhat enhanced form the usual canna coco food.. (About 4/5 hrs all tips bent back up) all serious training vigarous by 2 days!!
Don't overwater and don't over feed is some good advice but I like to live by if you can you should,,

what other silica is there??? I like the wound's to knuckle up HARD!

I use that Riz so my ph is like 10 after that!

funkymonkey

There's tons of silica products, Rhinoskin is by far the worst of the lot, it's the most watered down and overpriced, ideal for silly boys.

shafty420

only one ai stand by is the pm bnio silicone notice effects almost instantly i had some clones that where really limp and droopy folier fed them some silicone next mornin they where strecthed straight up looking perfect looking forward to tryin the potsil out though its on my to do list along with brew some pm essence never made an essence/tea before hear loadsa people raving about it

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
cool
Budlink is another popular one. Does anyone foliar feed silicon-perhaps as a defence against PM?

i was reading up on brewing waste last night-and there are a few papers and patents showing how diastatic malt and left overs from the mash, when used as a fert, have been shown to increase levels of trichoderma and micorizal fungi in the medium-and reduce the incidence of PM.

I hear you guys about Plant Magic-i've heard good things too and have been trialing some of their stuff-i met the guy who started it last week-he's an enthusiast who began messing around with nutes/additives because he got pissed of with the Advanced stuff.

cheers
eddieS

H

Hazyfontazy

There's tons of silica products, Rhinoskin is by far the worst of the lot, it's the most watered down and overpriced, ideal for silly boys.

is your opinion of rhinoskin based on your own experience or hearsay ?

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hazy I think it's based on what he posted regarding it's dilution and the falling ratio since AN introduced their own silicon products.

I will have to order some of this PotSil what a great name btw :D I thought that silicon was best used in hydro/coco wasn't sure if it was a good thing to add to compost. I used to use Budlink silicone as it's pretty strong, it worked great in coco/hydro would help with flimsy plants like Rez's Sour Diesel 2.5 (oh, how I miss that1)

Are humic and fulvic acids beneficial in compost (peat based)?

cannaboy

I got a sulpher burner for PM and botrytis never had any problems!!!!

I manage to kill a mites with it..

Note,, 1 hotbox can be good for a hectare so be careful in small rooms the concentration can leave sulpher residue in the fans and if the lights get it hot it will continue to vapor on the plant and cause burn damage,,

I've learned the hard way so you don't have to, Run it at night like it says!!! and an circulation fan is a must,,

Depends how you use it,, (AS IT DOES WITH EVERYTHING)

Dr. D

Veteran
I give my silicone every watering on coco at half dose, havent had any problems and it seems to flush just fine.
Plants seem to love it and you can really tell the difference when given to sick or otherwise weak plants..

Im gonna order some of the Potsil stuff to try out, good timing as well cause mines just about to run out..

@ Bigwity Vita-Link nutes are great use as directed for soil and water/feed on off, make sure you have run off to reduce salt build up.
As for a bloom stim it aint that cheap but Top max from Bio Bizz is good stuff. i used to use those together myself with excellent results....Hope this helps you out..Peace

Dr. D

Veteran
Note,, 1 hotbox can be good for a hectare so be careful in small rooms the concentration can leave sulpher residue in the fans and if the lights get it hot it will continue to vapor on the plant and cause burn damage,,

I've learned the hard way so you don't have to, Run it at night like it says!!! and an circulation fan is a must,,

Depends how you use it,, (AS IT DOES WITH EVERYTHING)

Iv got one of those and il never use it again except in a greenhouse, it made my whole house stink! Clothes everything!
Another thing to note with those is they stunt growth in large concentrations, not great for indoor use imo..

funkymonkey

is your opinion of rhinoskin based on your own experience or hearsay ?

Based on the fact they reduced the concentration and hiked the price as compared to Barricade that it replaced so that it works out as 45 times more expensive to use. Rhinoskin is the most dilute and most expensive potassium silicate on the market, you'd have to be a fool to use it when there are a dozen or more competing products that are less dilute and a lot cheaper.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great thread :)

anyone using the BAC organic bloom and root stimulators? or know what;s in them?

was given some by a friend - one of the bottles cost like 70 quid :D

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Anybody tried any of Ferro nutrients range out? There Root stim is used @ lower dilution rate than H&G root excelurator. £25 1L bottle of Ferro Bio Roots will used @ 50ml per 100L = 2000L. A £25 250ml bottle of H&G root excelurator used @30ml per 100L gives 833L.

It's said to contain heteroauxins used by plant to produce roots and flowers, also stops ethylene production by the plant, plus soy oil and another oil which I forget the name of as a type of wetting agent allowing nutes to be absorbed easier by roots? I think that what their website is trying to say have a butchers for yourselves...

http://www.ferro.nu/en/products/enhancer/2

Dilution ratio is spot on, if it does what it says on the tin... Any info on those auxins mentioned funky?

They also do nutrients regional nutes based on various regions water quality. As well as analysis your water quality if your game to send em a sample then they will tailor a nute based on what your water has in it.

Latest posts

Latest posts