What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1toke's dual 400 HPS closet grow #6

G

Thats a nice setup 1toke!!!! Well have to talk more in the chat room!!

G

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Hey issack - looking good so far! Keep them babies happy! :canabis:

:wave: nwODB Welcome - thanks fer stopping by and peeping my modest closet grow! Anytime in chat, mate - that's one thing we do best around here - talk about our grows! :laughing: :laughing: Catch ya in chat. :joint:

:friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:

G

issack said:
i found that two paynes of glass is much better. when i was doing one payne the heat still was extreme....just a thought 4 u
Yep - I had plate glass - nice thick tempered glass. Can touch it when the lights are on. Just be sure the top of the hood is vented if not a cooltube.

S

strain_searcher

I got 3 phoenix seedlings outside and they look like those. gees this thread is fun, I love the fish. Do they have enough room lol

G

strain_searcher said:
I got 3 phoenix seedlings outside and they look like those. gees this thread is fun, I love the fish. Do they have enough room lol
:wave: Hey SS! Will be interesting to compare smoke reports on both of these! :chin:

The fish are in the same boat as the plants! They both need a larger room :biglaugh: They're in 34 gal Bow tank now - getting a 75 gal tall in the near future - them guys are gonna love it. :eek:

Have to take good care of my fish oil and nute supply! :biglaugh:

G

:wave: Hi everyone - update. :wave:

Went to check the grow - found a pheno male budding and yanked the prick:

Dipstick supervised the extraction procedure and double-checked my work. :laughing:

:no: :cuss:

Hope I got him in time - dunno how I missed him yesterday. :mad:
Still no Neville males. :mad: :confused:
Checked the clones - only one rooting out of 4 - yanked the failures and cut 4 more - scarified and dipped in rooting hormone this time - Indole 3/butric acid. Checked the air wands, the girlz didn't want anything but left alone so I closed her back up. :rolleyes:
Checked on the second tub in the recovery room - have the 6 healthy transplants to veg under 200w MH with the 150w HPS. standing by. :canabis:
That's it for now - pics at 11. :biglaugh:
Off to take care of "hubby" stuff, like shopping, breakfast, etc. :wave:

dubmantx

Wow man thats an awsome closet set up. I hope when Im older and have my own place I can find this thread lol

Im thinking about a stealth cabinet for now so I can take it from place to place as I rent. You ever considered training so that you dont end up with 8' plants? Just curious your 8' plants kick ass and I could see why you wouldnt want them smaller since you have the room.

Well take it easy man and keep the grow alive!

G

:wave: dubmantx! Thanks for stoppin' by! :wave:
An 8 footer wasn't MY idea! :laughing:
Yep - training is gonna be a priority! Next time I'll start sooner! :biglaugh:
For now, I dug out some extending curtain rods to spread her out so other branches get a taste of the lights. I have some bamboo sticks that I'll use - thinking of making a grid of them across about a foot under the light and train her along that.

I noticed the cuttings look pretty sad - found the water level low and two of them wilted pretty bad. Topped it off and will have to keep a closer eye on them. My bad. :mad:

Here's a closer shot of each end to show the rods spreading her out.

G

:wave: Hey Mr GreenJeans! :biglaugh:
Dunno about ingenious - ya know what they say - necessity is the mother of invention! :laughing:
Is getting a little outta hand ain't it! :eek:

Nice to see ya - this one's getting more and more interesting - 8 weeks old, 4 weeks into flower, only about 14 more to go! :biglaugh:

G

:wave: Hey all. :wave:

Update pics. Since the staking and spreading she's beefing up more budsites and the other branches are catching up.

The cuttings are looking a little better today.

I had to redo my butter bucket. :biglaugh: I found an old 6-pack cooler long enough to lay the two 9" bubble wands down in the bottom, but didn't want to punch holes inthe top so I grabbed a styrofoam meat pack from the wife. Punched holes in that and used it for the lid - seems to be working OK for now - time will tell. Cuttings are on 5th day and still no sign of roots.

I got excited - thought I had a Neville male - a real close look and I think it's the other pheno. :mad: Will let him go one more day to make sure then he's history. If he matches his mom he's getting isolated for pollen downstairs.

That's it for today - catch y'all in chat.

G

:joint: Forgot a quick summary to date. :chin:
Started with 20 beans, not expecting much. 18 popped and the other two were tossed in with the transplants - they popped later. So 20 plants total, transplanted 2 phenos just for kicks (ya never know - may be some great smoke), found 2 pheno males and pulled one, mom took off for the sky - so transplanted all the others (14) into the veg closet (runts), hoping to find one good male for pollen out of that bunch. They are currently at 3' tall and have been topped twice to try to keep them bushed out and low - we'll see if it works on this tall strain.

Look like 15 plants, only had plans for 4 - so now have to rethink the gameplan. Wonder how tall they'll get vegging? :biglaugh:

dubmantx

hey 1toke... with the bubbler cloner do you need to pH adjust the water or add nutes or anything or is it just plain water? Ive had a bitch with rooting the cuttings and bubblers seem like they do the trick every time!

Your grow is lookin good. Whats the difference between the good pheno and the bad pheno for this strain?

G

:wave: Hey dubmantx - good to see ya. :wave:

The bubble cloners are filled with neutrally PH adjusted tap water, and have just recently been alerted to the fact that 7.0 may be high. I am adjusting a cloner water change and we'll find out how well they do with 6.5. Temperature of the water is crucial for success. I am also running concurrent clones in willow tea to find out how well that method works for a natural rooting hormone.

A side note: Neville's Haze or HazeXNL#5 both have documented histories of long rooting times in clones - some normally take 3 weeks and some just "exist" in that they stop showing any growth and never root but don't die.

I'm not a "breeder" by any wild sense of the definition and am still struggling to verify this strain after six grows, let alone understand the genetics. :biglaugh:

The answer to your question may be more complicated, the possibilities of phenos are more than a simple either-or reply. As I am understanding so far I may have anywhere from 4 to 16 phenos - depending on whether my beans are F1s or F2s. In past grows I selectively grew out only those that showed Neville's Haze/Haze X NL#5 traits and were verified by the quality of the end product. I may have harvested "sativa" phenos because they obviously weren't indica appearing, but the smoke and energetic head high didn't appear to be affected by it. I never bothered to grow out the indica traits until this grow and curiousity got the best of me, and those short squatty plants with fat leaves peaked my interest to grow them out and sample the smoke - in past grows all the "runts" were culled and only those that closely resembled the parents were grown out.

In short, my phenos will either produce: "The most potent variety of its kind on or off the market. Not recommended for inexperienced smokers - too trippy - too profound." (Green House Seed co.) - or - "...a superb Sativa/Indica hybrid that is suited for indoor growing but still retains the unique sativa qualities in the high. The Haze X NL#5 hybrid is the result of this search. A note of warning: Adverse effects have been known to occur among inexperienced smokers, particularly when combined with alcohol. Side effects may include nausea, dizzyness, fainting and loss of bowel and bladder control. Extreme introspective behavior is considered normal." (Sensi Seed Bank) This is not to say that I couldn't be presented with indica dominant traits in a pheno.

If I recall, you're more interested in muscle and pain relaxing qualities of a heavy Indica - in contrast to my "trippy" energetic high. I'll grow it out and post a contrasting smoke report for you, but it won't be of value unless you can somehow locate a supply of the genetics. I am desperately trying to have the med grower in Colorado Springs contact me with that information and I will post it as well (with their consent, of course). Anyone out there from that area in Colorado - PLEASE CONTACT ME! - I will make it well worth your reply. Until he contacts me I'm afraid I can't recommend a source for you, and my information will be just that - information - IMO you would be better served to pursue a proven strain from a popular reputable seed company that can provide you with documentation and testamonies verifying the med user traits you need for treatment.

Hope that helped a little - as you can see we are all struggling with this strain breeding secrecy trend, breeders seem to be getting more and more secretive about their genetic lines - like any of us little growers could ever get our hands on their top-secret genetically nuked beans. :biglaugh:

G

:wave: Hey everyone :wave:

Finally got another update. Have been busy trying to keep the lady in her place. :biglaugh:

Made a grid from bamboo sticks and been tieing back and forth in an attempt to keep her off the lights. :biglaugh:

It's been recommended to trim off the lower couple of feet - I'll prolly tackle that this weekend. Then train here up and down and back and forth.

It's been 8 days for the clones in the bubble cloner and FINALLY roots!

And, with time to kill (only about another 14 weeks! :biglaugh: ) I decided to set up the dual hydro tub and get it ready. Then I fired up the new seed starter greenhouse.

In 3 days I have about 58% popped now. We'll have to keep an eye on that gadjet.

Well, that's about it for now - more later.

Sleepy

Veteran
Wow, 1tokeOverLine...

i hope you are taller than i am!! :biglaugh:

can you bend those tops over for a week or so?? is it too late for that? :confused:

off with their heads! before the buds start packin' on! :biglaugh:

can you raise the ceiling?

lower the floor?!!

wow...

G

Sleepy said:
Wow, 1tokeOverLine...

i hope you are taller than i am!! :biglaugh:

can you bend those tops over for a week or so?? is it too late for that? :confused:

off with their heads! before the buds start packin' on! :biglaugh:

can you raise the ceiling?

lower the floor?!!

wow...

Great to see ya stop by Sleepy!
:laughing: :laughing: I've been tieing her! :biglaugh: Topping is the last resort - she's into flower a month. So, bending and tieing and staking - hell anything to keep her off the lights! :biglaugh: But - may have no choice other than top her soon. :confused:

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
I still say you're growing Amazons 1toke! :biglaugh: Yowsah! I read that Bog sometimes *snaps* a cola bending 90 degrees and leaves it. Maybe you can try that if they get too vigorous...

Cheers -MGJ

dubmantx

Ah the jiffy box! How do you like that i saw it at walmart for like $3. What is the temperature of the cloner you were referring to... the same as any bubbler (Like 80 or below)?
Nice detailed description of the genetics... I guess thats why breeding is an art with so many phenos and whatnot.
"The most potent variety of its kind on or off the market. Not recommended for inexperienced smokers - too trippy - too profound." Shit ill take that challenge!!!

G

DUDE.....
Those are friggn tall as flock.. Man they look good.
The only thing though is the light is not hittin the bottom at all.
Yield not going to be as much.. Medium sized plants are great indoors IMO..
But those things do look friggn great... I must add. peace..

click here to see our 1st outdoor grow
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11794

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint: