What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do you use all the bs hype money grabbing ferts (if you do)

As the title says, if you use all all the expensive cannabis marketed nutrients and additives with lame names and fancy bottles and pictures, why do you use them?

I am not having a go at anyone that does as it is not my money being wasted, I am just curious is it because you are led to believe you need this stuff to successfully grow? Or you just like to use them? Or any other reason.

I used to buy into the hype years ago as I was led to believe that's how you have to do it when venturing into inside cultivation. However one day I have said Fuck it and did an experiment with hardware store nutrients and medium (compressed brick coco). I have never looked back my yield increased also the quality of product increased, I can now grow a total of three one plant crops yielding up to around 1lb each for the grand total of 14 dollars. It is a no brainer for me.

So shoot and give me your reasons.

troutman

Seed Whore
If everybody owned 1 cow, 1 sheep, 1 bat house and a dozen chickens we would be all set.

No more chemical fertilizers. :laughing:

If everybody owned 1 cow, 1 sheep, 1 bat house and a dozen chickens we would be all set.

No more chemical fertilizers. :laughing:

Organics hmm that was going to be the next venture I apply myself to, I have done it outside but not inside yet, no hate from me on that. Maybe something organic less smelly for my indoor ventures though.

Good work I like your style

Grow 1 lb in ten days with........wonderbudz.........without any training, canopy control, lighting schedules, good genetics, at care of any kind.....only 149.95........ get it now.

Honestly that's how the indoor gardening product scene appears to me, they make it sound that the most important factor to getting good yield and finished product is that magic potion in the bottle.

It is not, as long as the plant is getting the basic nutrients and micro nutrients it needs in the right amounts, other more important factors come into play.

No magic potion will increase results

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I'm not convinced that it's to increase or compensate for fe-/maleness like it is with buying designer clothes or expensive cars. IMHO it is the same reasons why people buy expensive cosmetics: hopes and dreams (and not only stupid people fall for those).

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't say I see how you aren't having a go, the thread title and opening paragraph are combative.

Trendiest thing I use is SM90. But now we can't get it up here and I prefer bleach.

Many people have learned only by direct experience. Use this line, this feed chart, and you will get this result. They are loyal to repeatability, likely earn their bread from it and are not keen to poke the golden goose.

Some progress elsewhere as you have. Others plug along.

And some poor fucks buy into the spiel and beat their chest for their favourite brand like any good meathead sports fan.

One thing I have learned is we are all in the same boat, and that it doesn't take much scrutiny to start poking holes in anyones regime.

Here online and in person among like minded people, it is easy to speak this way. But to interact with someone with opposing views in person is not an easy dance. You have to look deeper, understand why and how. Chose your points to the target and show the result of your way.

If you want to change them, it takes more than tools made from easy conversation with similar people and writing off anyone else as an idiot. I know more than enough people who would punch those words back down your throat simply from the tone you gave them with.

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
take a look at niche agricultural products for retail market and take a look at agricultural products marketed for agricultural communities

the latter requires an education and/or experience the former is market as a simple means to an end for those who don't know better

Some Hydrostore Ferts are actually well made, its just the pricing that is ridicoulus imo. Buying Retail with the Store taking 50%+ or Companys like Canna increasing Prices every Year, thats just too much.
Looking at the Dietary Supplement Market which has been legal and growing since its Existance, i dont see Poeple waking up from this Consumer Stupor ever.

Easy7

Veteran
Cannabis, like any product, can do wonders on desire and need insecurity based on ignorance.

I used to use only bottled nutrients because I was Ignorant. So now it comes down to choice and practicability. Ordering specified ferts online is expensive, but specific. Shopping local lacks specific quality, not always cheaper, sometimes is and for a reason, but do able.

Cheap, doable and best is a rare thing.

Cannabean

Alright I'll take the bait and be the first here to post that I use the expensive, fancy bottled, only-for-the-ignorant ferts sold at the hydro store. Namely, House and Garden. Why do I do this? a few reasons:

- I'm not as smart as everyone else here. I understand the basics and maybe the intermediate level of what plants actually need and benefit from but I'm no expert. I like knowing the nutrient line I use has everything the plant wants.

- I find value in being able to follow a feed plan exactly as written and have absolutely no problems when doing so.

- I like not ever having to pH or PPM test the reservoir. I drain to waste and at this point, don't need to test the res after following the H&G feed chart. Maybe everyone can do this but I've found it easiest for me using H&G.

- I can get them all at the hydro store I shop locally. No need to order multiple stuff from different websites, mixing powders, etc. It's just seems simple for me.

How do you feel about us "all using the bs hype money grabbing ferts"? I'm open to any suggestions you have or is this thread just for criticizing people who don't know how to mix their own nutrients?

handshake

How do you feel about us "all using the bs hype money grabbing ferts"? I'm open to any suggestions you have or is this thread just for criticizing people who don't know how to mix their own nutrients?

Fellow new grower, here - I went with the cheap stuff and grabbed Jack's Professional.

Similarly to you, I wanted a safe schedule (one mix all the way through? my kinda regimen). I like that it was powder (ie. doesn't expire and can withstand -40° winters in my shed)

After looking around I saw that a bunch of people were growing really good product, and growmau5 did a head-to-head split-test with typical hydro shop nutes and got virtually the exact same weight out... It's hard to argue with a strong visual representation and hard numbers on the scale.

So after seeing it grew good weed, and seeing it produce the same amount as another nutrient line, at 10% of the cost, plus allowing me to tweak if need be, stores well over the winter, etc. I decided to just buy something and stick with it.

Plus, let's say Canna Coco can give me better results. Am I – in the next 3-5 years – going to possess the skill to squeeze that extra something out of a boutique nute line?

I know your comment was aimed at people smarter than me, but I thought it was an interesting take because I chose Jack's for a lot of the same reasons you went with your grow shop nutes. Much respect to all growers.

Just my take.

Peace! :whiteflag:

G

Gr33nSanta

I dont spend a penny, other than vermiculite and or perlite. That's right, I make my compost, I mix it compost with aeration until it kinda looks like promix. I am happy with that. I plant a seed, I give it light and water, but not too much, finally, I harvest great buds. When I go to hydrostore (well I do need scissors, fans, scrubbers and stuff!!) I always laugh when I see someone buying everything on the shelf and I am thinking man how can people afford all that stuff, do they understand the going rate for weed is around 1200 a pound!?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Can't say I see how you aren't having a go, the thread title and opening paragraph are combative.

^agreed brother

so keeper1981, share your secrets here and let us all enjoy your new ways of growing quality weed for less
/ heck,even a pic or two would get us started in the right direction, mate

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Apologies Cannabean.

I was refering to the likes of AN, Aptus, etc and assumed that's what we were shitting on.

I've used H&G base to good effect. I'm a lazy fuck now and use FNB. When it runs out I have found a Jack's alternative in Canada.

Haven't used the whole gamut of cartoonishly labeled bottles available but for the most part they seem the same. Follow the label and she goes.

handshake

Apologies Cannabean.

I was refering to the likes of AN, Aptus, etc and assumed that's what we were shitting on.

I've used H&G base to good effect. I'm a lazy fuck now and use FNB. When it runs out I have found a Jack's alternative in Canada.

Haven't used the whole gamut of cartoonishly labeled bottles available but for the most part they seem the same. Follow the label and she goes.

If you'd prefer, I'm in Canada and have an enormous sack of Jack's; happy to chop you off a few kg's (plus Cal Nit) if interested. Have done so before.

Not a business man, just a Canadian grower using Jack's who'd love to see more people using it north of the border.