What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is anyone using moisture meters during the drying process?

coldcanna

Veteran
I'm looking to make some standardized, data-driven procedures for employees to follow to get best results every harvest. I like the idea of using tools and recording measurements over the 2 week dry time. Wondering if anybody has used a moisture meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcdlDPUxVGA

https://hydrobuilder.com/triminator-moisture-meter.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=TRIMINATOR-MOIST-MET&dzid=csegps_TRIMINATOR-MOIST-MET&showPlaGrid&ptid=8552139979&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIrKpmU9zrztlazyPuWG18s0AgFHlrGThqNqzXhcyVPGJ-teXnAAHBEaAjbfEALw_wcB

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
a hygrometer is a must for a slow controlled drying/curing. i aim for 50-60% humidity with alot of air circulation. remember the old saying -- a rolling stoner gathers no moss. thats because its not the humidity that causes mold/fungus, its the lack of air circulation. good luck

growingcrazy

These meters are the same used to measure the moisture of lumber. They are available all over the place.

The key to using it for cannabis is being consistent. You have to first take samples from the same size stem each time. Then you need to find out what % you prefer your sample to be at. You can't chase a number, you have to find what works in your room and meets your criteria as far as dryness. From here you can start graphing, hourly, daily, weekly etc based on your needs/OCD.

Cuft in the drying room, weight of the harvest, surface area of the harvest, strain, resin coverage all come into play when making those graphs...

Good luck

coldcanna

Veteran
I use one from triminator, go between 9-10.5 for my finished product.

I read that 10 was the ideal final number before dry trim. Was also wondering at what moisture content do you move them from being on branches hanging on lines into your burping buckets?

914safbmx

ive never used a moisture meter but always use a hygrometer meant for cigar boxes. i usually snip a sample nug or two and then jar it and watch how quickly the RH rises. i usually trim when it takes about an hour or more in the jar to hit 65-70%. sometimes. if it can shoot up to 70% or higher within the hour i know its too soon. is this a common practice? i came up with it on my own but imagine other people have more scientific ways of doing it?

i'm also open to this lumber moisture meter thing.. just dont really understand it yet.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I use a tent for drying with a mini humidifier and dehumidifier inside. An inexpensive ikbird controller runs the show. Progress gets monitored with a Sensor Push. As the weed gets closer to the target dryness, The humidity setting gets dialed up from 50 initially to the 62% target.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I use a hygrometer like Zeez and jammie, and I also work to maintain 55-60% RH during the dry. Sticky icky! :)

al70

Veteran
i use these for my jars, theyre cheap as chips on the bay, 1 euro each, and quite accurate, i have six of em and they all read the same, goodluck.

Attachments

• IMG_20180630_174111.jpg
    IMG_20180630_174111.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20180630_174144.jpg
    IMG_20180630_174144.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 36

Easy7

Veteran
For me it depends on the type of flower. Sativas are nice a little less dried. They smoke slower and are already airy. If it's dense I like it more dry.

Outdoor dried is very good in my opinion. Like a barn. It can hang cure a long time in our climate. Until the cold dry air comes. Then the winter is just bone dry and very difficult. Good thing I have a boiler, it doesn't dry the air as bad as gas furnace. Even though natural gas has a little moisture content.

Drying in a paper bag also slows it down. The paper wicks some to a point. But then the paper gets a little moisture content and the other flowers in bulk slow things down.

Things should be perfect in the jar.

Latest posts

Latest posts