What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Journey into Grafting

mushroombrew

Veteran
It's been ages since I grafted anything. And never tried Cannabis.

I have high hopes of flowering a single plant with loads of different strains!!

So I started of with a Skywalker OG as the "base" plant. This is a node that I cloned a little while ago.

And the "donor" plant a Platinum OG. We want healthy growth and a diameter close to the base plant.

Wet the area to be cut. First cut the stem straight across. Then cut a steep V notch. You need to be careful to cut just deep enough to remove the middle. If you over cut at all you lose healthy tissue at graft site. And it will fail.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Next we take the donor cut. Again wet the area to be cut.

We cut a steep point to match the V in the base plant.

Drop it immediately into water. So it doesn't dry out while you do the rest.

I use a 1mm copper Bonsai wire. Wrap it tight around the donor plant
just below the V.

Keep misting the V to keep it wet.
Now you need a strip of cling wrap and the donor cut.

Place the donor into the V

mushroombrew

Veteran
Now use the wire to tightly wrap the graft and secure the donor. Bonsai wire is super easy to use. Then mist the graft one last time. Wrap the cling wrap tightly around the graft. We want to seal it really well. You can buy grafting tape but Cling wrap is fine.

Cut the zipper of a zipper! And label it according to the donor plant.

Mist the clone and the inside of bag and secure it over the entire graft. We need moisture for the clone and the cut site too.

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
This is the Platinum OG I took the cut from.

Decided to give it a new top!

Had to wrap the wire up and over as the Road Warrior clone was small.

Platinum OG Bush with a single Road Warrior cola!! Will flip her as soon as the graft takes. So cool!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Cool thread mushroom Brew!

I spend a few days every spring grafting tomato plants.

Looking forward to see this outcome!

Vibes bro

mushroombrew

Veteran
Looking forward to watching how this works out, very interesting topic for people growing on small legal plant counts.

I am thinking about putting 4 strains on one plant. The here in OR you could grow 16 strains with 4 plants! Besides a plant with two different buds will look sick!

Last edited:

I wood

Thanks for sharing.
That could be useful for sitting on long flowering sativas while deciding if they are worth keeping around. A mother bush with several strains only taking up one plant for the count.
My only experience is grafting cacti, but that was fun and rewarding in many ways.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Cacti must work well. I know succulents do. I saw a huge succulent base plant with 40 species growing together!! Just a little time and patience...

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
@Lester.

What do you gain from your tomato grafting. Is it just for fun?

And how well does it work?

I graft heirloom varities to high quality disease resistant rootstock that was breed for grafting.

Of the three rootstocks I use one will give you more veg growth, to help speed up plants with low vigor.

Another is a rootstock that will concentrate on boosting fruit production.

Third one does kind of both.

Main goal is to get heirloom tomatoes to harvest in the field without disease. Takes some playing around with matching the rootstock to the variety, but once you get it right, some heirlooms will yield like a hybrid and remain healthy the full season long.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I graft heirloom varities to high quality disease resistant rootstock that was breed for grafting.

Of the three rootstocks I use one will give you more veg growth, to help speed up plants with low vigor.

Another is a rootstock that will concentrate on boosting fruit production.

Third one does kind of both.

Main goal is to get heirloom tomatoes to harvest in the field without disease. Takes some playing around with matching the rootstock to the variety, but once you get it right, some heirlooms will yield like a hybrid and remain healthy the full season long.

That's great! I love heirloom taste but yes vigor is lacking sometimes.
Think I may tool around with my tomatoes in the spring! Thanks for the tip!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Any chance you are going to try pollen chucking? Just imagine all the different hybrid seeds you could get off one plant.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Any chance you are going to try pollen chucking? Just imagine all the different hybrid seeds you could get off one plant.

Yes that is one of my hobbies!! I have done it the other way around. One female paint brushed by different male pollen. I made 8 Hybrids on one plant before!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Well it's not looking promising today. The grafts are wilting badly. So I will try once again. But this time I will defoliate the donor. So as to reduce transpiration.

Will put up a few pics in a little while.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have a dedicated recovery chamber for grafts. Warm and humid. 3-5 days. Then gradually back off the heat and humidity.

80-85 and as much RH as you can get.

I panda plastic-ed a large cardboard box to put my flats of grafts in. Just a small cfl for light. Small heater and some water misted.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yes I put the Base plant back under HID. Think the greenhouse effect contributed to the wilting!

So will be a little more gentle this time.

mushroombrew

Veteran
So I decided to try a smaller branch.

I just sliced it in half; instead of cutting a V. Bit too small to dick around with.

Again smaller donor this time. Razor blade for scale. Cut off all fans to reduce transpiration. Cut a steep point.