What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California has too much pot, and growers won't be able to export the surplus

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Yep, but it is the "cream" that is saved and sold...whereas the "scum" is usually drawn off and served as pig slop.

CaptainDankness

The money is going to ruin this plant like it does everything else.

I don't know about all that you can get great Bourbon Whiskey in America for a fair price unlike prohibition days.

Mom and pop took a big hit on their sometimes toxic white lighting that was not aged the right way in charred white oak barrels.

I personally can't wait to see what cannabis becomes cured like a fine Cuban cigar. :biggrin:

What I'm most excited about is far from domestic cannabis I want to see the best of the best import hash from Afghanistan, Nepal, India and Morocco. I got a good feeling it's going to be epic!! Forget shatter when you have the best charras in the world. I've had Indian charras once it was pretty damn good but once a company pumps out the best Indian charras in all of India oh fuck yes!! :woohoo:

Of course a lot of American cannabis growers will be looking for a new job if they have not diversified yet. It was called a green rush for a reason more people made big money selling supplies for mining gold than those mining the gold.

Their junk lands in Maine, people and products. Usually know it all types that don't respect quality processes or ingredients. The products are also junk, burn black, bitter, and dark looking. Seems like an eco disaster in the making. Spreading the greedy ideas could contaminate my ground water.

OregonBorn

Jim Belushi Weed?

Yes, there was a poster there at a retail weed shop in PDX with his photo and signature, in front of 6 or 7 strains of weed in boutique jars. Apparently he is the owner of or has an association with Rogue’s Lair 'private reserve' brand of Cannabis. I could not find anything online about it, but apparently Jim built a summer house (they call it a 'cabin') on the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. And he is apparently cashing in on his notoriety and being busted for weed on Martha's Vineyard (though weed is now legal in Massachusetts, and he will likely be able to get his arrest record redacted now).

Weed branding is starting to show up around here. And they (Rogue’s Lair) are raising the quality bar and muscling others out on the shelves. Their Snowman Cookies strain tested at 26.9% THC. See, it is all happening here in Oregon if you just look. And we are small spuds compared to California.

Last edited:

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I don't know about all that you can get great Bourbon Whiskey in America for a fair price unlike prohibition days.

Mom and pop took a big hit on their sometimes toxic white lighting that was not aged the right way in charred white oak barrels.

I personally can't wait to see what cannabis becomes cured like a fine Cuban cigar. :biggrin:

What I'm most excited about is far from domestic cannabis I want to see the best of the best import hash from Afghanistan, Nepal, India and Morocco. I got a good feeling it's going to be epic!! Forget shatter when you have the best charras in the world. I've had Indian charras once it was pretty damn good but once a company pumps out the best Indian charras in all of India oh fuck yes!! :woohoo:

Of course a lot of American cannabis growers will be looking for a new job if they have not diversified yet. It was called a green rush for a reason more people made big money selling supplies for mining gold than those mining the gold.

Companies don't make the best of anything. A select few companies make decent stuff, but most companies make shit.

Why? Because they don't care about what they're actually making, they care about "making" money.

If you haven't noticed, the world is completely filled to the brim with shit. Shit food, shit tools, beautiful wood that has been turned to shit, etc. Bourbon these days (at least all the "craft" bourbons owned by ol' Jack & Jim) is mostly shit, too.

Wake up. Companies aren't giving you anything other than SHIT.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Ya know, I have been reading and following this thread and I feel so sorry for all you people in Cali living the the beautiful sunshine and having 8x more weed than you can smoke.

You should all move here where it's fucking rain and shit every day and the Winter's last 9 months and everyone is still paying $50 a quarter for Mex brick weed. Cali might not seem so bad. LOL

If it would help, I'll move out to Cali and help out. I probably smoke as much as most small counties out there. I could being a couple friends and we could cut that surplus down to about 2x as much as demand.

Just trying to help out where I can. ;)

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
That's funny, but a lot of those people in California were growing weed to make some money. They invested time and money, only to find out it's all for nothing.

It IS a shame some of that extra weed could be airlifted into 'depressed areas' like yours, but that's 'Murica!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I highly doubt you'll ever see the likes of the charas that were around previous to the prohibition era. All that stuff disappeared soon after it's discovery & importation to America & Europe. Those villages cannot keep up with our demand.
Realize too that some of those charas were stored for several years before being bought up.

CaptainDankness

I highly doubt you'll ever see the likes of the charas that were around previous to the prohibition era. All that stuff disappeared soon after it's discovery & importation to America & Europe. Those villages cannot keep up with our demand.
Realize too that some of those charas were stored for several years before being bought up.

The charas I bought was delivered straight from India through the darknet, the vendor has been around for years and still sells it I only bought a few grams but you can buy 100 gram packs all day.

Given legalization they will produce they are going to surpass China economically and they will be able to set up a company that can produce more than enough. Of course we will have weed and hash from all over the world like the alcohol industry so demand for just Indian hash won't be too big for them to keep up. Also if the demand for a specific company gets too large it will end up like congac over priced but still sought out.

Of course overall we will have a company like Anheuser Busch dominating the domestic market but I prefer import beer myself though I do love Bourbon but the good stuff is more expensive than a lot of imported Whiskey.

OregonBorn

Well, one thing I have noticed here is that with rare exception, I can grow far better weed than I can buy at many a rec store. Much of it is due to the fact that in the green rush, a lot of people simply do not know how to grow good weed, or acquire good strains. The older medical growers are getting crowded or bought out, or they have gone black market again. Also a lot of weed I have seen is not cured properly, so it does not keep well. It gets old fast. I slow cure my weed and it lasts for about 2 years, when I turn it into hash oil or lotion.

CaptainDankness

Companies don't make the best of anything. A select few companies make decent stuff, but most companies make shit.

Why? Because they don't care about what they're actually making, they care about "making" money.

If you haven't noticed, the world is completely filled to the brim with shit. Shit food, shit tools, beautiful wood that has been turned to shit, etc. Bourbon these days (at least all the "craft" bourbons owned by ol' Jack & Jim) is mostly shit, too.

Wake up. Companies aren't giving you anything other than SHIT.

Well certainly Jim Beam is not the best Bourbon cheapest yes but best? I don't think anyone believes that, we do have companies making fine Bourbon not many people are going to age Bourbon for 6-8+ years like companies do Jim Beam only ages for 4 years at a high proof and ad a bunch of water to get it to 80 proof.

Wild Turkey is a bit better they barrel their whiskey at around 108 proof and bottle at 101 proof adding very little water to give you a better finished product they also age 6-8 years.

Both are produced by companies just some do better than others.

Also why stop there? Cuban cigars are also made by companies and some are better than others the majority does not come from a closet grower but a company and not all companies produce the best Cuban cigars. Not sure about their exact methods but not every company produces fine Cuban cigars but companies do produce fine Cuban cigars.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
....and then you have small vineyards (not owned by any winery) that grow grapes for wineries of all sizes. Some of these vineyards are less than 5 acres and come harvest time, they command the highest prices for their grapes...even when comparing vineyards that measure their size by hundreds of acres. Now, if your vineyard has it's own "micro-climate"...then give that man a cigar! Those select vineyards are few and far between and have been known to produce grapes capable of making that mythical elixir, "angel's tears".

Moral of the story: sometimes, size does not matter.

OregonBorn

....and then you have small vineyards (not owned by any winery) that grow grapes for wineries of all sizes. Some of these vineyards are less than 5 acres and come harvest time, they command the highest prices for their grapes...even when comparing vineyards that measure their size by hundreds of acres. Now, if your vineyard has it's own "micro-climate"...then give that man a cigar! Those select vineyards are few and far between and have been known to produce grapes capable of making that mythical elixir, "angel's tears".

Moral of the story: sometimes, size does not matter.

Yes and no. I planted and owned a small vineyard in Southern Oregon in a micro climate. The ex has it now, but I sold pinot noir grapes to a local winery. They blended it with several other local grows, including their own. But in the great recession years like 2008, many grapes were left on the vine to rot, and no one was buying (especially in California). Only the best of the best were harvested and fermented, and they were paid low prices for them.

With weed, no one blends fresh colas. Its all single source point of sale, tested in single batches often from single plants, and labeled for purity by % and sold as such. You could "blend" hash oil, but that is extract and you would lose all the unique character in the refining process (BHO or CO2). You could blend for terpenes, but you could more easily just add terpenes at the end. As a friend of mine that owns a weed shop in PDX told me last week, he was in Colorado and bought a cartridge of hash oil. He took one hit and nearly puked. He said it tasted like a bowl of STEMS! *retch* In my experience, weed does not really vary that much with micro-climates like wine grapes do. With weed there is usually a tradeoff between peak terpenes and peak potency, and they do not occur at the same time. Terpenes generally peak earlier. Heat usually breaks down terpenes, but results in stronger weed. So I guess you could blend tops harvested earlier and later from one plant, but in Oregon that would be difficult if not impossible with the testing and labeling requirements here.

Last edited: