What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's time for the NFL to embrace a new pain reliever: Cannabis

RetroGrow

Veteran
Well, now ESPN is getting into the act. Medical cannabis for sports related injuries, specifically the NFL. Pretty sure many players already use, but here's what ESPN has to say:

"THE TRUEST WAY to see the NFL is not before the game, when the helmets are shiny and the energy is high, but after the final whistle, when the bodies are bruised and the athletic tape is soiled with dirt and blood. Or at the practice facility the following day, when the players show up with crutches and walking casts, fingers in splints, arms in slings.

Pain is the singular constant of the NFL. Maintenance of that pain is as vital to players as mastering the read-option; whether through cortisone, painkillers or drugs and alcohol, they have always self-medicated to heal from the game that breaks their bodies. Which is why, more than any other sport, the NFL should lead the conversation on considering medicinal marijuana as a therapeutic alternative.

Medicinal marijuana is currently legal in 20 states, eight of which are home to NFL teams, and it is almost universally accepted in the medical community as a safe and effective pain reliever. Yet there appears to be no plan to reassess marijuana's place on the NFL's list of banned substances, and according to the NFLPA, no player in the league has received an exemption to use pot for medicinal purposes.

That likely won't change tomorrow or even next year; the transition toward legitimacy is tricky. States are decriminalizing marijuana even as it remains illegal federally. Where marijuana can be obtained with a license, it still violates numerous federal drug-free-zone school statutes. If you're caught boarding a plane with marijuana or putting it in the mail, you will likely face arrest, whether you have a license exemption or not.

Decriminalization is one thing; mainstream acceptance is something else. In a recent Gallup poll, for the first time, a majority of Americans (58 percent) said that the drug should be legal. Still, as much as the awareness of marijuana's medicinal benefits is growing, the racial and cultural stigmas attached to it are far stronger, at least for now. (Remember Charles Oakley once saying that the NBA had "guys out there playing high every night," or the ridicule snowboarding takes for being a "stoner sport.") So marijuana appears destined to join Sudafed in the gray area of sport: a legal substance that athletes are banned from using.

It doesn't have to be this way. The NFL has been defined this season by its unwilling place at the front of cultural transitions in sports. Its ironclad codes of masculinity are being challenged, first through grudging acknowledgment of the vulnerabilities of the human body, and second, from a re-examination -- again unwillingly -- of the locker room environment, as ignited by Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin. But now the league has an opportunity to actually lead, to open a discussion about medicinal marijuana and about the culture of pain maintenance among its players.
No one can pretend this is an easy conversation to have, with the inevitable discomfort that comes from recognizing America's utterly failed war on drugs. And the path of least resistance would be for the league, with its corporate caution, to back away and wait until the states and the federal government can reconcile local decriminalization with federal statutes, to find a dozen easy and obvious ways to stifle discussion.

But what was illegal yesterday may be legal tomorrow. And because football players deal with pain management more acutely than athletes from other sports, a more virtuous and forward-thinking approach for the NFL would be to stimulate discussion of marijuana use. This is a league in which the locker room culture still demands that athletes play through it all. And given that marijuana is a legitimate pain reliever -- especially for the migraines that can be a byproduct of head trauma -- and is far less dangerous and potentially addictive than, say, OxyContin, it is almost immoral to deny players the right to use it.

Whether it is the military or construction work or playing left tackle, pain -- and not politics or culture -- is the real issue. And if the NFL is serious about making the game both safer and better to play, it should be a leader on a difficult topic, to contribute to an honest dialogue and, more important, to make life a little more comfortable for its broken warriors.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10110004/is-nfl-embrace-marijuana-espn-magazine

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Cheating Denver Broncos Flood Stadium With Marijuana Smoke, Cause Dizzied Chiefs To Lose Sunday Night Game

UPDATE: Tom Brady Avenges Kansas City Chiefs, Overcomes Marijuana Infused Denver Bronco’s Defense With Last Second Heroics 31 – 34.

Multiple NFL teams have complained the high marijuana to oxygen ration inside Mile High Stadium gives the marijuana-trained Broncos an unfair advantage at home against incoming teams from states where marijuana remains appropriately illegal.

Denver, Colorado – Shocking new reports from sources in Denver confirm that Denver Broncos personnel were seen flooding Mile High Stadium with marijuana smoke, inundating the stadium with copious clouds of the mind-altering chemical moments before the game. Sources claim Denver Broncos staff also flooded the Chief’s lockeroom with a constant stream of marijuana smoke before the game and during halftime, as they have done with other teams for the last two years.

NBC commentators noted that several Chiefs players, including veteran quarterback Alex Smith, complained of instantly feeling ‘dizzy and nauseated’ when they took to the stadium to do stretches and practice before the game started. Chief’s coach Andy Reid complained of feeling like he was ‘having a stroke’ as he stood on the sideline, trying to focus on his players and finding out why his receivers continually dropped passes throughout the first half of the Sunday night game.

“It is suspicious when you have Charles dropping five your toss-ups and Peyton Manning chucking 60-yard touchdown passes off his left foot to his receivers, our guys hardly able to keep their balance and giggling,” a stoic Andy Reid said, saying the Chiefs will get beyond this game and prepare for San Diego next week.

Chiefs fans watching the game on Jumbo-tron back at Arrowhead Stadium were equally skeptical. ”You have to wonder if the Broncos are trying to give out contact high to incoming teams. They train in marijuana-laden conditions, other teams cannot compete with that. There is a conspiracy going on here and it involves the government of Colorado itself,” Chiefs fan Nadia Botwin stated.

Botwin may have a reasonable concern. The Chief’s receivers did drop the ball more than usual and even more questionable, the Chief’s usually devastating pass rush was nothing but wobbly legs and failed tackling attempts against an aging quarterback.

The image at right blatantly shows a marijuana-conditioned Broncos player walking through a field of marijuana smoke earlier this season.

If the evidence and accusations are correct, the Broncos are actively training in marijuana heavy conditions and then flooding the locker rooms of visiting teams with marijuana, and the stadium with marijuana, making the other team devastatingly ‘high’ and unfocused throughout the game.

And this is the secret to how the Broncos are pulling off victories like they did tonight. I will draft an official letter to the NFL to investigate the Bronco’s underhanded strategies, which again, has been an ongoing complaint by multiple teams playing against this morally questionable franchise.

New Evidence A

In this video image, look at how the Chief’s coach cannot resist playing tickle fingers with Fisher here. This is not natural and the exact type of behavior you would expect to see of someone who was just forced to inhale Colorado’s classic, cruddy skunk weed for the first time.

New Evidence B

Broncos fill the air with wafts of Colorado Skunk, churning the stomachs and minds of the pure-air-trained Kansas City Chiefs.

New Evidence C

Dwayne Bowe was caught this week training for the game, by trying to smoke a little last second bowl as he sped toward the team practice. Officers dropped charges for now after the Chief’s staff explained how the players have to ‘try to train’ against the Bronco’s cheating techniques.

New Evidence D

You have to wonder how much of Satan’s laughing gas Peyton Manning smoked to play on that broken ankle, pain free. You don’t just ‘snap’ your ankle the week before, get a questionable MRI, then go out to chuck 60-yard touchdown passes on the run on your ‘bum’ right ankle without hopping up on some sort of drugs. Considering Manning was not falling asleep as he studied the Chief’s playbook on the sideline, we can only guess he was high on marijuana

http://topekasnews.com/cheating-den...-cause-dizzied-chiefs-lose-sunday-night-game/

RetroGrow

Veteran
I think they should all play stoned once too. it might be real funny

Years ago, there was a major league pitcher named Doc Ellis. He wasn't scheduled to pitch that day, so Doc decided to drop a tab of acid. This was when acid was really strong. Due to injury, he was called on as a replacement starter while he was on a full blown trip.
He pitched a perfect game.

choom

@trichrider: I was really hoping this was true, but I
think that is a satire paper like The Onion. I hoped..

choom(0:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Interesting read,? I highly doubt any of this is actually happening. There is even a smaller chance that the NFL will make any changes to their rules for players regarding MMJ. I would fully support this line of thought. I have worked in the Oilfield Industry for 26 years. I have accumulated 31 bone fractures, a broken neck, I just had spinal fusion surgery fusing the bottom 3 vertebrae to my pelvic bone. I'm back working again with great daily pain. The oil industry couldn't care less. I pee in a cup often for individual oil companies and to keep my DOT license. North Dakota has a vote coming up on November 8th for MMJ. If it passes, I will change my profession to start helping people through the MMJ laws. The NFL players will end up making the same decisions to care for their own needs in time. Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts