What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blazeoneup's Recirculating Dwc Construction Tutorial!

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Hempstress said:
Way back on page 1......you mentioned that you could use a powerhead in the controller as an alternative to running airline and using an airstone in each bucket. I don't know what as powerhead is. Is a powerhead like a powerful aerator? Could you recommend a brand and model? I am looking to run 24 buckets. My controller(s) will be located in an adjacent room, so I could use 2 controllers for the 24 buckets if that was better. It seems like not having to hassle with air pumps, air lines, and air stones/diffusers might be nice.

Yeah their are water pumps that also provide airation to the water as well, But I dont personally reccomend relying on them as the only method for ariation. 24 buckets is a lot and in most cases its best to just use the air lines/stones or diffusers. This will insure plenty of surface disruption and provide plenty of oxygen for the roots. Adding a pump to the controller to help provide more oxygen is a good thing though.

I have not used a lot of them pumps, So I cannot really reccomend a make/model. But just do a quick google search on them Im sure you will find something....

kovenant said:
blazeoneup. ive been setting up my first grow for weeks now (as time permits) and my lovely ladies have been in veg for 12 days. im willing to go as far as a 21 day veg, so im trying to plan out & assemble my (your) recirc DWC bucket system asap.

i have a ton of questions... and it seems everyone here has asked a lot, so i will try to keep it brief (i wish i was not at work so i could be even more specific with WHAT the specs are on all the items i have... but ill do my best)

you can get an idea of how my system is with the link to my 1st Grow, in my sig. so - let me ask a few questions that are still puzzling me.

1) i keep wanting to have an 18 bucket system. my flower room is 10' x 12' and i have (2) 600W HPS aircooled lamps. i see many people DWC'ing 1-6 buckets under (1) 600W lamp and am wondering if im over-thinking the amount of buckets possible under my current lighting setup. i could easily scale it back and follow your tute for 12... but i will normally be doing a quick veg and believe i can accomidate 9 buckets per lamp (3x3 buckets per lamp in a 4x4' footprint). your thoughts, experience, advice?

2) if i do go with 18 buckets... would you recommend doing 6 return lines? 3 rows of 3 buckets... 3 rows run under each lamp?

i have most of the supplies to start building and nearly finish the system. still lacking the 3/4" ID tubing, i have the fittings for 12 bucket setup... so need to add for the extra 6 if i do 18, and... think that's it. i purchased and just received the Ecoplus 1/10hp Water Chiller but now wondering if i should not have spent the extra $150 to go with the 1/4hp. ive just been spending more and more over what my original budget was - but didnt want to op without a chiller. 18 buckets @ 3.5 gal each + 18 gal controller = 81 gal. the chiller is rated for 92 gal, and it 'could' get around 85 in the highest part of summer... maybe i should return and swap it out. whats another couple hundred dollars at this point, right? lol

now that im asking (and dealing with work issues that keep arising) im at a loss for what my other questions were. when you drop by - please take a look at my setup and offer some advice. thnx mate! this is an incredible tute - love it.

---edit---

i also tossed the idea around in my head - i know, scary - of doing 8 buckets per light for a total of 16... in case 9 seems to tight a fight under a 600W. arranged in this type fashion:

------------
|.X.....X.....|
|.....X.....X.|
|.X.....X.....|
|.....X.....X.|
------------

1) Yes I think you can push 9 3x3 patter under a 600 watter with a quick veg and get nice results with faster turn around. Long as you keep it in 3x4 4x4 footprint. You will just do a quick 10-14 day veg and flip em.

2) Yes do 3 rows of 3 per 600 using 1 return line for each row of 3. Also you should try squeezing them all into a 4x7' footprint. Yes return it and add another 150$ with it and get the 1/4 it will work less and get the job done easier.

With 9 you can do the 3 rows of three making a better square. With 8 your going to have to either have 2 rows of 4 buckets, Or 2 rows of 3 and one row of 2. So stick with 9 if your not going to drop to 12. I would personally do 12 buckets 6 per and veg longer myself but to each his own.

kovenant

thanks for the quick replies. so much research, so much physically here, and so many suggestions on what to do... my heads about to explode! :muahaha:

Blazeoneup-->

thanks for the input on my grow - i dont want to take this thread in a personal direction... thats why i have my grow thread :wink:

ive just posted more on that thread (before i read this actually) so i will just say a few things here and then hope to carry any further convo over there.

im returning the chiller to get the 1/4hp.

i still dont know whether to go 12 or 18... ill probably be happy with which ever i choose - i talked about this a bit more in the post just loaded to my grow thread.

im interested in 'pushing' the flower setup into a box like both you and Mid Town mentioned - but then it will be 'open' completely on at least 1 end of the room (meaning if i push it toward walls... 1 wall will be like 3 feet away versus less than a foot on each side right now. of course, i was told 5x5' footprint of PRIMARY light from 600W... and here it seems 3x3' of primary. my tarp-wall is 'framed' in... so it aint moving now either. any suggestions... i put a map up on my thread - please post there and let me know.

Mid Town --> thanks bro, i responded to you on my thread as well... trying to see how i can take your advice and work it into an effective change without tearing things down and starting all over (which cant happen atm)

kovenant

ah. another quick question for you blazeoneup!

i noticed on your watering schedule you only listed the ph & ppm for each week...

how about how often you water? mins/hr, hrs/day? :biglaugh:

thnx!

kovenant

aha. so the pump is constantly pumping... no need for timer or anything else. sweet - starting assembly of the system today!

W

WaT iT Do?

I don't know if this is pertinent to this thread but i have been searching for a thread with no luck... well here goes....

I have an Ebb&Flow bucket system... The system supposedly supports up to 48 buckets per rez.... The problem that i'm having is draining. It floods like a champ but having trouble draining. I've been told it should take about 30 mins to drain.... after 30 mins almost all the water is drained. some top buckets (the one sittin inside the other bucket) are dry but some still have a 1/3 maybe 1/2 " of water just sittin. I let it drain for another 30 mins after and it looks like the water level in the rez stays put. Anyone else have this problem? Wat can i do to correct this problem

Last edited:

plumpm0nkey

30 minutes to drain? doesnt the controller pump itself out back to the rez and then the gravity pushes the rest back? I think they need to add a e&F category and dwc category.

kovenant

blazeoneup -> just wondering... was looking for the air diffusers, and having a very hard time. OSH, HomeDepot, 2 hydro shops... no one. no where. so i found 1 thing at OSH that is called: 1/4" recycled tire soaker tubing... its a porous tube (tire..duh) but have no idea if it would work... not to mention is it safe? even smells like tire. probably toxic.

anyway - any suggestion on where else i could try? would a pet or aquarium shop have them as an alternative to the air stones?? anyone know of an online store that has them at a good price?

thnx!

forkboy

blaze, thanks for the great tutorial. I have built your dwc systems and am having a dificult time getting the clones in my 1" oasis cubes, and 3" rockwool cubes to root into the lava rock and then into the buckets bottom. I have had a problem with the media staying too wet.I even went as far as to move the 1/4" nutrient feed line from the rim of the bucket to a 1/4" drip ring about 2" under the top of the lavarock in the netpots.I thought this would help keep the rocks wet and promote rooting. so far just mediocre soft growth, help. I have some experience with waterfarms and was attempting to root them in the same way. Can you explain how to root new clones into the active (nutrient solution) part of the system. Should I hand water them or use a drip system, what level should the water be in the buckets.Hopefully I can find the missing link and get these girls some legs. Thanks for all the great help blaze.

RamCTD1027

Best thing to do is root clones before putting them into the system. I root my clones/seedlings in a dome under floros in rapid rooters until the roots show through and then i put them into 6" net cups with hydroton in an ebb and flow table and veg them for a week or two until they establish a nice root network. I then pull them out of the ebb and flow table and put them into the system. If you dont have access to ebb and flow or a seperate area to pre-veg, i would root the clones in a dome under floros in the oasis cubes. Once the roots show through, you can put the rooted clones into the system and raise the water level in the buckets so that the water is keeping the little roots moist. Once the roots grow down out of the net cups, you can lower the water level.

It isnt a great idea to root clones in the system. Much easier to root them in a dome under floros first and then put them into the system.

forkboy

great advice, how many times a day would you suggest wattering, and for how long. I have the buckets with the net pot built into the lid. Is it a problem to use a smaller netpot to root clones then place them into a 6" netpot lid (double netpots)? Thanks for all the help

V

vaprpig

Blaze have you or anyone else here used those plastic hose clamps that squeeze together?
http://www.waytekwire.com/plastic-hose-clamp.htm
I was wondering if you can put enough pressure on them. If so they would be easier than reg. hose clamps.

Also I'd like to add my thanks to you Blaze. I'm in the process of setting up 2 separate systems in a 12x20 with 8 600's(for now, more to later). Thanks for your effort, much appreciated.

RamCTD1027

Forkboy- Are you asking how many times i water the rapid rooters? If so, I keep them in a dome where it is very humid. I water them only when i notice the rooters are getting dry. Just check on them often through out the day and as you notice they start to dry out, water them. I wouldnt do the double net pot idea. Instead, once you notice roots showing through the rapid rooters, i would take some plastic cups, cut some holes in the bottom for drainage, fill them with hydroton, and place the rooters in there. Once the clones/seedlings develope a nice root structure, place them in the system and you are good to go.

vaprpig- do you plan to use the entire 12x20 footprint for the two systems? with that amount of square footage and with those lights, you are only looking at 20watts per square foot and the goal is 50. I would suggest closing in the room if that is all the lights you have for now. Good luck.

V

vaprpig

RamCTD, I'll just have lots of room to move around right now. I plan on 2 rows of 4 lights with one system under each row. I am waiting to see it visually after the room is done and the lights are up then I will decide on the # of buckets.

Back to those plastic clamps......anyone?

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
forkboy said:
blaze, thanks for the great tutorial. I have built your dwc systems and am having a dificult time getting the clones in my 1" oasis cubes, and 3" rockwool cubes to root into the lava rock and then into the buckets bottom. I have had a problem with the media staying too wet.I even went as far as to move the 1/4" nutrient feed line from the rim of the bucket to a 1/4" drip ring about 2" under the top of the lavarock in the netpots.I thought this would help keep the rocks wet and promote rooting. so far just mediocre soft growth, help. I have some experience with waterfarms and was attempting to root them in the same way. Can you explain how to root new clones into the active (nutrient solution) part of the system. Should I hand water them or use a drip system, what level should the water be in the buckets.Hopefully I can find the missing link and get these girls some legs. Thanks for all the great help blaze.

You want the rocks to remain dry exept the bottom 2" or so, The key is keep your water level 1" or so below the net cups, The bubbles will keep the bottom parts of the net cups wet, And you want to place you rooted clone far enough down in the cups for the roots they have to contact this wet area. If they havent broke the cups in 7 days from putting them in the cups then something isnt right and your probly keeping the media in the net cups to wet. So the key is keep the solution 1" below the net cups, Plant the pre rooted clones deep enough in the cups for the roots to touch the area soaked from the bubbles splashing which is the bottom 2" or so of the net cups....

Your clones must be rooted before putting into the system, You dont want to try and use this as a cloner/grow system. You root the clones out and then put them in the system, Within 3 days you will see the roots shooting out the net cups...

Last edited:
G

Hey blaze, do you think if i run 1/4 inch drip line the flow rate will still be high enought to keep my buckets chilled with a chiller?

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
vaprpig said:
Blaze have you or anyone else here used those plastic hose clamps that squeeze together?
http://www.waytekwire.com/plastic-hose-clamp.htm
I was wondering if you can put enough pressure on them. If so they would be easier than reg. hose clamps.

Also I'd like to add my thanks to you Blaze. I'm in the process of setting up 2 separate systems in a 12x20 with 8 600's(for now, more to later). Thanks for your effort, much appreciated.

I have not used them for this, But I have for other stuff and I dont think they are strong enough to really clamp it tightly so I wouldnt reccomend them.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
slips said:
Hey blaze, do you think if i run 1/4 inch drip line the flow rate will still be high enought to keep my buckets chilled with a chiller?

No you need a squirt flow not a drip drip wont be effeciently getting the job done. Steady flow of water is needed to get the job done. More flow = better circulation, Which equals better over-all mixing of the solution and better temp control as well.

Also I have to go back and edit this tutorial, I built the 1st design improperly, You want to use a 1/4" elbow on the feed line to the bucket so it can be pointed down spraying directly into the solution. Not at the net cups...

Last edited:
Forkboy re double net pots

Forkboy re double net pots

I double net pot virtually all my plants. Everything is started in a rockwool cube from seed or clone and then into either a 2" or 3" net pot to veg with hydroton and then transferred into a 6" net pot when it goes into the flower room. This has worked okay for me so far.

Latest posts

Latest posts