What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

breeding

whats up every one.alright here it is ,over at og i am doing some looking into making my own strain or cross.ii have been growing for 2 years or so ,i have had a few good grows the rest were f**ked from the start due to the cops.but now i have my own appartment ,and i want to know whats the best way for a first time breeder get started on the path of breeding??thanks for any feedback i get.take it easy every one,peace

Joemutt1978

I am no big shot or anything, but I think you need a male and a female.

:p j/k look for aquaman's thread at the top called let it breed.

thanks bro ,but i know that much ,i am thinking on the lines of good strains ,what are the best ways to go about the pollen,how long this kind of thing takes,that stuff.but thank you bro ,stay up

JLP

Veteran
It depends on the extent of the breeding you wan't to do.Sounds like you just want to make your own seeds.
The best place to start is by getting a good book.Marijuana Botany by Rob C. Clarke is considered by many to be the definitive work on Cannabis breeding.

Also check the "Breed all about it" thread for info.

JLP:)

right on ,i just got that book today,thanks for the heads up on that.i would like the seeds i make to be good enough genes so i can give some away to others here and og.thanks guys,stay up ,peace:wave:

JLP

Veteran
Yeah,probably half of my breeding is just growing out new strains to see what is good and what isn't worth the time.You can use breeder descriptions and cup placings as a guide,but they are no sustitute for actually growing/smoking it yourself.

JLP:)

mdanzig

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with JLP, one thing is for sure, obtain top quality Strains, or Hybrids to use in you crosses.

D J Shorts book is a good one too. he talks about male selection and the good and bad smells to look for..

Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis: An Expert Breeder Shares His Secrets
by: DJ Short

deZerTomB

just cross

just cross

your best stuff.

try to get the best genetics you can to start & just keep crossing your best females with your best male from seed.

peace,

More

More

Remember, your first generation seeds will only show the dominant traits. You need to go down at least 2 generations before you see the recessive traits which is when you can really start to narrow down the traits you like. Some of the fun ones are recessive.

Sprout lots of seeds, weed out lots of seeds. Seed all your best females and keep the seeds off your favorite mother for the next generation.

Traits

Traits

Depends what you prefer. I normally choose for good indoor growth patterns first, then pick the most potent large buds for the mother. For fathers I choose for healthy growth, good smell, trichome content, and of course, the ones which flower earliest go to the front of the line.

If you end up with some purple in the buds in 2-3 generations, obviously that's the kind of thing you might want to choose.

There is really no right or wrong answer. I choose shorter plants with larger buds because it's more practical for the indoor grower.