What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horselover Fat's Kali China grow

Horselover Fat

Veteran
So I ended up ordering four DIY COB-lights to supplement the CMH. If I like them I'll order four or eight more to drive them soft. I'm certain more even light spread will be better.

Today is day 20.

I did a defoliation today. I think that it makes sense for a dense plant, but I try not to go overboard. It's weird. At first I feel lkke there's not much I can take off and after a while there's a huge pile of leaves at my feet. Before and after pics attached.

What do you guys think about defoliating?

Attachments

• IMG_20181004_191138.jpg
    IMG_20181004_191138.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20181004_191001.jpg
    IMG_20181004_191001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
G

Ι think I am pro defol!But not to the extreme (although I've seen guys do wonders leaving only a couple of leaves here and there).Especially with LST it's pretty mandatory. I think you've done her nicely! :) I wish you budz top to bottom!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi all!

I've been on a hiatus from growing for a few years and it's great to be growing again. This is my first go at Ace genetics.

Anyhoo... I have one Kali China (feminized seed stock) in a 15l (3gal?) autopot filled with coco. My light is a Phillips 315w CDM in a dPapillon fixture which is pretty good for my 120x60cm (4x2) tent. For nutes I'm using Canna Coco a&b + Rhizotonic. Still on a fence wether I should get the boost too (it's quite expensive). I have a screen in place, but I'm using it to make LST easier rather than doing a screen of green.

The first picture is the plant a week ago. The second and third I took today after the 5th night under 12/12. She's streching more than I expected. I hope I don't run out of headspace :-D There's a one pint beer can for size reference.

Welcome Horselover Fat :)

Thanks for choosing ACE genetics to retake your indoor growing, much appreciated! Glad to see Kali China filling up nicely your SCROG. The thinner leaved KC phenos like yours are more suitable for this kind of training and horizontal grows. I think you did well with the defoliation, Kali China fan leaves can be quite wide, so it's a nice idea to remove some to improve light penetration of lower branches and budsites, the plant should still have enough leaves to photosynthesize well and produce a proper flowering.

Best wishes for the flowering!

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Welcome Horselover Fat :)

Thanks for choosing ACE genetics to retake your indoor growing, much appreciated! Glad to see Kali China filling up nicely your SCROG. The thinner leaved KC phenos like yours are more suitable for this kind of training and horizontal grows. I think you did well with the defoliation, Kali China fan leaves can be quite wide, so it's a nice idea to remove some to improve light penetration of lower branches and budsites, the plant should still have enough leaves to photosynthesize well and produce a proper flowering.

Best wishes for the flowering!

Thanks for stopping by! She sure did branch a lot so good for scrog, even though she did strech a lot more than I expected. Not that I mind :biggrin: I'll definitely run her atleast once more as I have 12 clones waiting. After that I think it might be time for zamaldelica, malawi or golden tiger.

It's been a week since the defoliation and it's day 27 of 12/12. Budding continues quite nicely I think. The older leafs are turning a little more lime green than I'd like, but I don't think it will matter. I also got slight burn on the tips of the sugar leafs. I feed rather low, but I realized the air stone doesn't mix the water enough and the bottom of the reservoir is a lot more concentrated. I'm going to try and find my aquarium pump and/or I'll empty the res atleast once a week from now on. Few fungus gnats too... I put some sticky tape on the coco for them to enjoy.

About four weeks to go I guess. From now on there shouldn't be much to report other than buds swelling... I hope :dance013:

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_221223.jpg
    IMG_20181012_221223.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20181012_221628.jpg
    IMG_20181012_221628.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 41

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Horselover Fat,

How was the flowering of your Kali China ? Really liked the look of her in early flowering.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Oh, hi, I sobered up finally. Been high for a couple of months :biggrin: too bad it's all gone now.

I ended up having quite a bit of problems. Growing away from home is more difficult. First the grow got very cold and when I fixed that it got very hot for a while before I realized there was a problem (I always visited right after lights on). The plant did not enjoy that at all and the small infestation of fungus gnats got a lot bigger very fast. The plant lost most of it's leaves and the rest turned very colourful. The growth stunted and the bud did not develop fully (I think). I harvested at around day 65 iirc. When I took them out of their pots I was greeted by the smell of root rot. The yield was still around 80-100g (not sure, because I didn't weigh it all). Somewhat fluffy, but quite pretty because of the incredible purpling of the sugar leafs (I made cannabutter out of the trim by boiling the trim for three hours with cocoa butter and the water came out black). I hope next round goes smoother.

The closeup is a couple of weeks before the chop and the other two just prior.

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_165247.jpg
    IMG_20190114_165247.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20190114_165114.jpg
    IMG_20190114_165114.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190114_164959.jpg
    IMG_20190114_164959.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 40

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Second round is on it's way quite nicely. I did more of a scrog this time. I've been handwatering them, beause I got scared of getting rootrot again. The same 3 gal pots filled with coco and pebbles. I water usually once every two days. I'm not sure if it's an 8 liter or ten liter bucket, but I give one of those between the three... Around 2-3 liters per plant i guess. I add Canna coco a&b (25ml of both) to the bucket and that's it. The ferts drop the PH to around 6.6. No run-off, because the system can't handle run off.

They've been flowering for about a month. Perhaps 5 weeks? I forgot to write down when I flipped them and I really don't know for sure :laughing: oh, well, who cares... They'll be ready when they are ready.

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_205237.jpg
    IMG_20190223_205237.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20190223_024205.jpg
    IMG_20190223_024205.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 34

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Oh, btw, I made a light with cob leds. Four vero 29 cobs. Max power with the power supply is 200w, which should produce more than 30000 lumens. No fans needed. I've only used it for veg, but the plants love it. Node distance is like an inch.

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_213046.jpg
    IMG_20190223_213046.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 29

CowboyTed

When another horse lover is growing Ace gear, I'm gonna subscribe! Are you growing Kali China again?

I have a whole cabinetful of Ace genetics at the moment: Kali China, Bangi Haze x Ethiopian, Lebanese and Snow Moon, while a friend is growing BHE and Orient Express seedlings or clones I started for him.

I have not yet enjoyed any Ace smoke, but I have my share coming soon enough! Snow Moon should be ready to harvest in early April!

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Yeah, it's the same cut as last time.

You've got quite an ace collection going there! Only Ace stuff I've tried is my last crop. This batch is going to better, because the last one really did suffer after the nice start.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Horselover Fat,

Sorry to hear the first cycle didn't finish well, but being positive and constructive the second run seems to go really well and in the right direction. :)
Hopefully you have already harvested the new SCROG with great success, please keep us updated with your results when you have the chance.