What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bangi Haze x Ethiopian regular limited edition

CowboyTed

Lol eeewwwww:laughing:
Edit: I feel like Weird or Avenger or someone equally intelligent beyond deciphering ought to jump in with a post on... something like field studies proving nutritional value of placenta in compost and impact on microbial hierarchies or some shit...lol also I feel like I'm a little stoned..:biggrin:

Great minds . . .

All that nice green science-sounding jargon fits so well, as I just got up from reading a book about cannabis, chock-full of similar jargon. It's a whole collection of scientific studies on the subject of cannabis genetic history, and man's influence on gene selection through thousands of years.

It's fascinating to learn that people WERE studying cannabis during all the prohibition years, they were just doing it in the social sciences, rather than the hard sciences. Social science research is easier to do without holding the plant in your hand.

Anyway, on to more interesting subjects, like this little Bangopian Haze seedling and its future. It's still showing the benefit of having a head start on the other seedlings. (The others are Ace's Snow Moon and a mystery "Ace Mix" seedling) Those late starters are sure putting on height, though!

As for their futures - I have space and plant count available upstairs in the flower cabinet, so these seedlings might give me my introduction to "12/12 from seed." I'll wait until the others have put on similar true leaves to the Bangopian, and then move them into flower in about a week.

I've been planning to try 12/12 from seed, with an eye toward a SOG grow, with a whole bunch of variety of genetics. Gotta go see the doctor about a larger plant count first, though.

Here they are today:

picture.php

CowboyTed

Update? How are the wee ones?

The wee ones are healthy and happy. Given its one-week headstart, there's no surprise thatBanghi Haze x Ethiopian is far in the lead. But I've added a few more cousins to the cabinet to join the race:

Here's BHE, Two Orient Express seedlings, Snow Moon, and an Ace Mix mystery seedling. I've also added Kali China and a Zamaldelica. I'll have a whole cabinet full of Ace gear soon. Can't wait!

The poor Ace Mix seedling collapsed one day, and broke its stem. I splinted the break, and propped it upright to heal. It now has a distinct lump where the stem bent, and it's growing again.

Dunno what made it fall over.

Anyhow, you wanted pictures? Here's an update:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

YukonKronic

Looking good! Nice lineup by the way, I have experience with Zam and KC and they're both great herbs.
I planted my BangEth seeds last night I expect they'll mostly be up in two or three days.

CowboyTed

Looking good! Nice lineup by the way, I have experience with Zam and KC and they're both great herbs.
I planted my BangEth seeds last night I expect they'll mostly be up in two or three days.

I saw some of your posts over in the KC thread, and you're growing some lovely ladies!

Your photos make me curious about your grow setup. I can see the LED lights around the periphery, but I'm curious what light is overhead? Is that a 4x4 tent?

YukonKronic

I have homemade cabinets 42"x42" with a 600 watt digital metal halide overhead and in one cab there's 200 w supplemental LED while other cab has only about 100w LEDs. It's been working really well.

CowboyTed

It's time for an update, as this seedling is no longer a seedling!

She likes her self-irrigated-pot, apparently, and she's growing legs. I'm planning to top her soon, clone the top, and then move her upstairs to start flowering. Since I don't know what to expect in terms of growth structure or overall size, I don't want to veg too long. My flower chamber is only four feet tall, so I need to keep 'em smallish!

picture.php

Those side branches are really venturing out quickly. Every one of them is over an inch long already. I get the sense this would be a branchy girl, even if left untrained. (and of course, had I read Dubi's description of the strain recently, I'd have been expecting strong side branching)

If I get my way, I'll wind up with six roughly equal colas after topping once, and letting those already vigorous side branches take over as six meristems. Of course, the plant doesn't give a damn what I want. I'm keeping an open mind, expecting anything.

I wish I had the space to let her grow out unmolested. Maybe in the summer, outside.

picture.php

Last edited:

YukonKronic

OK, now it's my turn to demand pictures! Two or three days have come and gone!

Lol I'm as nervous as a first time dad! I got one pop out of the dirt in two days but the rest are taking their sweet time.... most have germinated they just seem slow to pop out...

CowboyTed

Lol I'm as nervous as a first time dad! I got one pop out of the dirt in two days but the rest are taking their sweet time.... most have germinated they just seem slow to pop out...

If it makes you feel any better, I have around fifty Gambel Oak acorns in the veg cabinet with my girls, and they are dreadfully slow to emerge too. I treat them just like my cannabis seeds: germinate them first in damp vermiculite, and after they send out the taproot, I plant them in soil. Then they spend several weeks growing roots before the cotyledon emerges and breaks the surface. By the time the sprout emerges from the soil, the roots are already six to eight inches long, with lots of root branches. Unlike cannabis, the acorn never emerges. It remains under the soil, and the seedling emerges without a "hat" like we so often see on cannabis seedlings.

I didn't have any trouble with slow germination with my BHxE seed. It germinated in about 24 hours, and only took a day in the soil before it broke the surface. It's a vigorous bugger!

In fact, I experienced easy germination with nearly all the ACE seeds I popped last month. I had one Orient Express that didn't germinate, but the rest all sprouted quickly and easily.

Cannabis is a whole lot easier to germinate than those oaks I'm starting. Their acorns require "stratification" (a fancy word for refrigeration) for at least a month in moist vermiculite before they will germinate. Oddly, they are quite happy to germinate in the refrigerator. I just pull out the baggie full of vermiculite each weekend, collect the acorns that have germinated, and plant them in soil tubes. I'll transplant them to my pastures in the spring. (I use strategic Gambel Oak and Ponderosa Pine plantings to block the parts of the scenery here that aren't as "scenic" as I like.)

CowboyTed

Well, it seems I'm still the only one with pictures to share. I topped the plant today, and saved the top as a clone. I left twelve branches on the plant, and it moved upstairs into the flower cabinet afterward, while the top cutting heads for the nursery.

Ten of the twelve branches are very vigorous. The two bottom-most branches are the runts, and I'll probably prune them if they don't take off after topping.

picture.php

YukonKronic

I'll post a pic of the prodigal seedling laters.. just gotta snap one. Lol I keep hoping for more to pop out overnight for a pic! I think I've been spoiled popping my own home made beans lately... odd tho.. ACE is very reliable seed vendor. I think I'm just being impatient hopefully...

YukonKronic

:cry: just checked. First three I checked are dead... sigh. Maybe I had them too moist or something... there was no standing water past day two so I figured they were ok but I guess not. Had high hopes for this cross including doing a selection and seed run to continue the line.. alas with only one survivor I'm not going to get much experience with this line. Dammit. What a bummer.

To be fair to Ace these seeds came from a secondary vendor and could well have been frozen in transit. Canada post is having a bad year.

CowboyTed

To be fair to Ace these seeds came from a secondary vendor and could well have been frozen in transit. Canada post is having a bad year.

Bummer that your seeds didn't pop. It's interesting how so many of us don't want to blame Dubi when that happens. It's a natural tendency for some seeds to be duds, whatever plants we're dealing with. Thankfully, I've only had one ACE seed that failed to pop, and I'm sure not going to blame Dubi and his gang for that, when all the others I planted germinated easily. Besides, the one seed that didn't pop was a freebie anyway, and two other seeds from the same freebie strain germinated readily.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm unlikely ever to judge a seed vendor harshly over dud seeds, when they are in the habit of giving me free seeds with every order: packs of ten arrive with twelve seeds inside, and packs of five always contain six. And those aren't even the free strains that ACE always includes.

After living with the greed and fraudulent business practices that have become the norm in the US, it's refreshing to deal with a business that treats its customers so well. Thanks Dubi, and please pass on our thanks to the rest of your crew!

YukonKronic

Bummer that your seeds didn't pop. It's interesting how so many of us don't want to blame Dubi when that happens. It's a natural tendency for some seeds to be duds, whatever plants we're dealing with. Thankfully, I've only had one ACE seed that failed to pop, and I'm sure not going to blame Dubi and his gang for that, when all the others I planted germinated easily. Besides, the one seed that didn't pop was a freebie anyway, and two other seeds from the same freebie strain germinated readily.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm unlikely ever to judge a seed vendor harshly over dud seeds, when they are in the habit of giving me free seeds with every order: packs of ten arrive with twelve seeds inside, and packs of five always contain six. And those aren't even the free strains that ACE always includes.

After living with the greed and fraudulent business practices that have become the norm in the US, it's refreshing to deal with a business that treats its customers so well. Thanks Dubi, and please pass on our thanks to the rest of your crew!

:laughing: what he said. Pretty sure it was NOT anything to do with Ace that rendered my seeds worthless... either shipping or grower error. Or both.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome CowboyTed to the ACE wagon :tiphat:

Thanks for supporting our work, glad to see you already started a few ACE strains and that the germination rates were almost perfect! :yes:

Your Bangi Haze x Ethiopian seems to be more Bangi Haze dominant so far, at least based on her more compact growth and leaf traits, looks like she likes to branch strongly without stretching much.

Good luck with her and the other strains!

Well, it seems I'm still the only one with pictures to share. I topped the plant today, and saved the top as a clone. I left twelve branches on the plant, and it moved upstairs into the flower cabinet afterward, while the top cutting heads for the nursery.

Ten of the twelve branches are very vigorous. The two bottom-most branches are the runts, and I'll probably prune them if they don't take off after topping.

View Image

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi YukonKronic,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble to germinate yours, i can guarantee you this batch of Bangi Haze x Ethiopian seeds germinates very well and we are not receiving any claim about its germination rate. Hopefully they were not hurt during the transit until reach your mailbox ... you are right, the strike of canadian mail workers is causing major delays in deliveries and lots of inconveniences to users, but they also have the right to fight for their rights, hopefully they achieve an agreement and improvement on their working conditions and service can come back to normality as soon as possible.

I'm eager to know your opinion about this new african sativa hybrid ;) I'm sure you are going to like it a lot!

:cry: just checked. First three I checked are dead... sigh. Maybe I had them too moist or something... there was no standing water past day two so I figured they were ok but I guess not. Had high hopes for this cross including doing a selection and seed run to continue the line.. alas with only one survivor I'm not going to get much experience with this line. Dammit. What a bummer.

YukonKronic

HUZZAH!!!Hoooray!! Another one popped out! I had given up but the knowledge that some seeds take up to a month to germinate kept me moistening and checking once in a while... 22 days after planting another one has emerged! Buoyed by this discovery I promptly investigated EVERY seed and found two more that were swollen but had not popped open. Those two are soaking in some water to see if a radical will emerge.

I am elated to have two specimens to work with! Now at the very least I can do a fem repro and explore the seed.:woohoo:

CowboyTed

HUZZAH!!!Hoooray!! Another one popped out! I had given up but the knowledge that some seeds take up to a month to germinate kept me moistening and checking once in a while... 22 days after planting another one has emerged! Buoyed by this discovery I promptly investigated EVERY seed and found two more that were swollen but had not popped open. Those two are soaking in some water to see if a radical will emerge.

I am elated to have two specimens to work with! Now at the very least I can do a fem repro and explore the seed.:woohoo:

Hey, great news! Congrats!

Sadly, my BHE girl (who showed sex today) is struggling, along with all the other plants I'm growing, with root aphids.

She's still hanging in there, so I haven't culled her yet, but she's already looking chlorotic, so I suspect the end is near.

Happily, I have that little clone, and it will be much easier to kill the aphids on the little clone, so I may get to grow my BHE girl yet.