What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Acapulco Gold

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Too bad about the intersex traits. For what it's worth, when I've used a male that then went on to grow pistils I've let the seeds mature and even grew them. I never saw another intersex plant in the offspring. Intersex females might be a problem but all I got from a hermie male was normal plants. I tried it twice and I'm no longer afraid of intersex males.

I am growing an AG fem from Barney right now. It is about 4 weeks after flip, running at 11/13 light cycle. Barney's version is not pure by any means, and it supposedly crossed with Nepalese. Looks really good though, wide dark green leafs.

Hempy McNoodle

Fuck sakes, I just wasted 2 months of growing time and a dream of creating Mexican hybrids is lost. :mad:

The 1st Bodhi Acapaulco Gold male was quickly destroyed because it was hermie or intersex.

Now my 2nd male turned out the same and it has pollinated has the 18+ females. So not wanting
to deal with chicks with dicks or hermie/intersex seeds that I was supposed to be selling in a new
Mexican hybrid using a bunch of pure Oaxacan female. I just killed all the 24 plants and some
were 5 feet tall. I'm not the 1st who got hermie males I think. For all I know the seeds were
from feminized plants or something messed up.

For a seed breeder who needs to make money to survive and I spent so much money (over $2000) on this grow it hurts real bad. :frown:

I've grown many pure Landrace Sativas and never got hermie plants before so it's not my technique in case somebody says so.

The same thing happened with my Colombian Gold 1972 run. But, I kept them and made a seed reproduction anyway. For all I know, this could just be a new world trait. One day I will run the CG seeds and see if I get non-hermie females or not. I wouldn't mind if a found females that lightly seed themselves either...

troutman

Seed Whore
The same thing happened with my Colombian Gold 1972 run. But, I kept them and made a seed reproduction anyway. For all I know, this could just be a new world trait. One day I will run the CG seeds and see if I get non-hermie females or not. I wouldn't mind if a found females that lightly seed themselves either...

I never saw hermies in CG 1972.

Note: I don't use more than 14 hours to vegetate pure Sativas. ;)

Ratbastrd

I have read some sativas get more powerful in the last few weeks of the flowering time. Also they turn yellowish or brownish. I have harvested sometimes when the plant died herself. Supposedly when the peak of potency was long ago passed away, according most books. However the stuff was good.

New member here, fascinating thread, thought I would chime in. I grew up in San Diego during the 70's-80's. At the time So Cal was inundated with Mexican weed of varying quality, colors and (types!). The differences were pronounced and we categorized it along similar lines as the poster above mentions. The lowest quality "dirt" weed as we called it, was brown or a dark amber color and full of seeds (50/50). It tasted like shit or dirt, thus the name. It didn't provide much of a high, but put you to sleep leaving a nasty chemical like hangover.

As we learned to grow our own, we associated dirt weed with being commercially grown, likely chemically sprayed, and poorly grown/harvested very late. You could tell from the color of the seeds that it was harvested very late, and or dried in the sun to the point of almost decomposing.

Occasionally we would get gold or red weed from Mexico or Central America that was much higher quality, fewer seeds and had very distinct flavors/highs. These were the buds we coveted. We were told that most of this stuff came in from smaller, family growers, in the highlands vs the low lands along the coast. The thing I remember about these buds were the smells and tastes, along with the quality of the highs. Clearly there was a difference, and I would attribute much of it to the quality of the farming technics vs the strains themselves.

Lastly, we rarely but periodically saw green buds out of Baja. I know first hand that most of this was grown in No Baja, by a handful of families living in the mountain ranges that front the coast line. There are some really beautiful mountain areas in No Baja, that are similar to the coastal range of No Cal, with similar temps (not as wet, but cold nights/mornings). Some of this weed reminded me of the early skunk weed from No Cal. Piney/lemony with denser buds etc.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I made a cross of Trainwreck x Brasilian Landrace.

Once harvested, she seemed to die to an odd yellow/brown that made me think maybe she molded but no - its just how the S. American / African sativa matures.
Unparalleled effervescence

Ive also found this with Snowhigh's work with Mewiths Magic (Acapulco Gold x C99)

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bumping this thread for anyone who’s run the MOB Acapulco Gold.

I had to look up MOB. I ran a few of this strain. They were uniform and very much like the Snow AG or Bodhi. Bodhi is less frosty. This is not real AG or any of the others. It is a old line and very sativa, I think that. Not gonna trip out on this. Real AG was trip weed.

What I grew was a cross of the AG x something, I do not remember. It was completely AG dominate though. Skinny leaves and fluffy buds. They did not sell pure 'AG' at the time I got the seeds. Maya was the name they used.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I had to look up MOB. I ran a few of this strain. They were uniform and very much like the Snow AG or Bodhi. Bodhi is less frosty. This is not real AG or any of the others. It is a old line and very sativa, I think that. Not gonna trip out on this. Real AG was trip weed.

What I grew was a cross of the AG x something, I do not remember. It was completely AG dominate though. Skinny leaves and fluffy buds. They did not sell pure 'AG' at the time I got the seeds. Maya was the name they used.

Thanks for that. I think now it is the AG x Maya possibly back crossed to the AG. Looks interesting, but I’ve tempered any expectations.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Glad I still have seeds left of these. My plants were not very good, but still might be worth a try again as they do appear to be the real deal.