What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making ICMag self-sufficient.....

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
how about a members only area with a subsrcirtion(a reasonable one and one that doesnt double in price from year to year like 420 tickets did) i for one would be happy to pay a REASONABLE price to access a private part with ll the siotes recources but none of the tossers and kids

and paypal are scum, ask gypsy, bubbleman and my friends growshop...they kept my mates money for fucking aaaaaages

Last edited:
G

ezozo said:
Hi everyone,
although I am a small grower and need to learn a lot.
I am a vary talented computer fart :)

2500 EURO it's extortion
Gypsy look here for some good web hosting

top ten

http://www.thehostingchart.com/?igojo=1&mej=406

and you can find nice good web hosting for no more then 100-250$ a month with enormous space and bandwidth (maybe more then you have now)

I will be glad to transfer the data and the forum free (I am doing thing like that for my living)

good luck
zozo
are these sites you mentionin secure bro. i mean you post pics and talk openly with no hassle commin up>

Pike

PeterMoss

If you are still running the seed business how about raising the price a little bit? Taking away our 10% off. And also liked the idea of selling pipes, clothing, etc. I remember OG had that shop where you can buy an OG coffee mug stuff like that which would be cool.

alGrenDh

Verite said:
If the beans bring in the bread I would continue marketing those and consider expanding the auction section [members goods maybe?]. Bringing good beans to market is still going to be a large asset to any website. Bonus points for a large world wide variety.

Then if you are already sending beans what other stoner stuff would people buy if it was good stuff at a decent price? Pipes, bongs, trays, stash boxes, grinders, glassware, mousepads, shirts, coffee mugs?? Every sale with more than beans in it means mo' money.

That's what I told my ex dealer! He needed to expand his goods offered to include things like blunt wraps, papers, munchies, ect. You know, one stop shopping! lol

Are there any auction sites up now? Unless one has come up recently, there aren't any. Corner the market!

earthinhabitant

Greetings,

Have noticed lot of great input here, and great feedback!

Several things could turn this site into a cash cow, as it is nowhere near a dead dog.

GN I would love to help you out, and everyone here!

Here are several considerations.

Get an Un-managed server and/or Find a server host that does not charge as much and hire a freelance server admin, that does not charge so much, that price is a little steep and shouldbe able to cut in half if not more with some finess, lot of good admins out here who are trustworthy and herb friendly who sure would love to help, self included.

Banner advertising revenue: Not sure how much you charge, I will take one out for a website, if not to much, I think it is work $500 a month ez, however think $250 X10 banner clients, something that I think is reasonable and feasible, as a goal would help, as 10 banner clients with adds rotation should be ample revenues.

Another good thing that I have ntoiced is a advertising forum board so others can post a link to a site in exhcnage for a fee. This could generate a lot of nickle and dime revenue, and could supplement income.

Subscriptions to special membership is simple enough to implement and $ yearly membership and lifetime membership could help, with maybe some hats and mugs, t-shirts offer to thos who become members who sponsor.

Speaking of, opening a store with mugs, hats, shirts, hoodies, calender, etc.,

If you could open seed auction and store here without conflicts, then that would of course help, guess it you are not allowed to as you have contractual agreement that may have a clause that stipulates competition as it relates to seedbay, not sure how the partnership venture is structured or if GN is sole owner and operator of icmag or seedbay, something I think he may not be, so conflict of interest on offering seeds would be my guess.

I would be glad to discuss in private GN with you any details if desired, I do not have a complete degree in marketing, however I do have some basic knowledge and understanding and with a few cups of coffee, could prepare you a nice comprehensive report that would be more professional and offer more tangible options for revenues.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
......I thank you all for the input....many good ideas here.....and I would like to hear many more.....

....Yes the server bills are kinda high but thats for more than one which we need for development of other sites and ideas.....

...I guess the best thing to ask for is someone that can go get the advertisers........for that will hopefully be a constant flow of revenue to help support the site....could do with a few more choice banners here....any whiz-kid advertising exec's out there?

...yeah....sorry paypal is not really an option......due to past probs...

justforfun

I am sending a M.O., no name, you fill in the blank, use as you see fit.

Wish you (GN) the best with your life issues.

Money runs the world, but people help people.

I will help those that have helped others, GN has.

GN may have done ok with the business, but GN is no Bill Gates. When did Bill Gates give anything away to us? GN gives us a great site.

JFF

Gypsy Nirvana said:
......I thank you all for the input....many good ideas here.....and I would like to hear many more.....

....Yes the server bills are kinda high but thats for more than one which we need for development of other sites and ideas.....

...I guess the best thing to ask for is someone that can go get the advertisers........for that will hopefully be a constant flow of revenue to help support the site....could do with a few more choice banners here....any whiz-kid advertising exec's out there?

...yeah....sorry paypal is not really an option......due to past probs...

ChantingHead

I'd buy a subscription now if I can to support the cause... maybe you can make a subscription/site fee of like 200 bucks a year or something... I'd be willing to pay that. Especially if they come with a dvd.... that was awesome.I cant wait till the next one comes out.
I completely agree paypal sucks, they froze my account once right at the end of the month when I needed the money badly. Then when you call they just hang up on you and laugh.. I am serious.. beware of paypal!!
Is seedbay up??? maybe you can sell some stashboxes or some seeds in a special auction or something at a discount and raise money that way. I'd get a stashbox if it included a membership or something.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Subscription, maybe voluntary... maybe allows access to a subscriber forum.... A magazine or gift included? Dunno, just my 02 cents

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
Gypsy I'd like to see you whip up a 3Rd edition for us to pay for and Support the site at the same time.

G

I paid for all four issue's and would pay for a membership to the site also. This has been my home since day one and I hope to see the site become much more. I hope the best for ICMag and hope all is worked out.
Take care all,
BG

G

GoldDustWomen said:
This has been my home since day one and I hope to see the site become much more. I hope the best for ICMag and hope all is worked out.
Take care all,
BG

^^^ditto

id have to say, just the short time i was gone, i missed the site. the peeps, and the best photo upload and post there is. anytime ya read threads ya can through pics up right now and its pretty slick in PMs as well. its definitly one of the best features net wide for me.

Pike

marimbas

Hey Gypsy its your compadre here!

I told this once to you in chat i belive, or it was to someone else maybe. Anyways.

You should make some of the forums special member restrained.
So In order to get in there, you dont have to pay extra fees only to use the site. BUT you have to expend at least 100 USD Worth in seeds in seedbay, or seedboutique.

That way ICmag will be selfsuficient, and youll kill 2 birds with 1 shot, you will increse your seeds sales, and youll be able to finance this site.

I honestly would preffere to expend 100 dollars in seeds, as i already do, than paying for a suscription to the site mate.

but as allways the best of lucks man

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
mrwags said:
A Good Hydro Set Up (Buckets,Light's,Nute's,Etc) 1500.00

Some Beans For The Setup 150.00

A Membership To IC To Learn How To Use It 30.00 A Year

Keeping The Trolls Out Priceless

Seems like some good math to me.

Mr.Wags
:joint:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
.....you guys have really got me thinking......so many possibly valid and usefull ideas......I don't know where to start.......best try to organize some of these fund raising schemes.....somehow......thing is that I'm not so money orientated as long as there is enough to pay the bills......and I just paid the server bill so we are all cool for the next month.....

.....I would like to keep it all free-for-all.....as long as I can....

King Ralph.....great ideas......p/m/ me..

ph6.5

gn
your getting raked over the coals for the cost to run this site/sever and any others as you stated. id get ahold of another hosting company, then tell the guy that's robbing you to either bring his price's in line or your gone. most companies dont like to lose long standing customers, if they do their dumb. as far as security their is never anything secure is this day and age. if a govt wants you they will get you or the info they want, well unless you run the govt. for example the us govt can by pass the ssl, pgp with the chips that are installed the computers sold in the usa and i wouldnt be surprized if those chips are in the computers going over seas in from the usa.

i wish you luck and im sure you will find marketing person your looking for to help.

ph6.5