What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mazar I shariff RSC line roms

jahgreenlabel

Veteran
hello,

MIS at 8 weeks

best vibes

Attachments

• mis8.jpg
    mis8.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 56
  • mis9.jpg
    mis9.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 58

idiit

Veteran
images

that's a pretty big thumbs up.

really good work "taming the shrew".

Last edited:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we have a cut in the midwest USA thats called simply ..Maz...
it is a 20-30yr old cut and was selected from SSSC seed...
but has been related to Mazar I Sharif Hindu Kush (aka Mishku)..
Its a 42-55 day wonder plant...it stands alone in any envrio and has been said to be a Dioecious plant...meaning its true breeding and doesn't hermaphrodite..
It smells very relative to some of the descripts in here...
Its Afghan in scent and quite Acrid in over tone in veg state but has a Sweet Fig/Hash/Incense undertone in the buds/resins..Smokes like a true Indica but has a wide span of effects when its matured at different stages..
It can show colors based on method and temps...keep rollin
FOE20

Attachments

• MazFull1_06-25-12.jpg
    MazFull1_06-25-12.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 61
  • MazHead3_10-16-12.jpg
    MazHead3_10-16-12.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 58
  • MazHead6_06-25-12.jpg
    MazHead6_06-25-12.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Mazheads2_05-25-12.jpg
    Mazheads2_05-25-12.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 68
  • MazMac2_10 -16-12.jpg
    MazMac2_10 -16-12.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Mishkufull2_01-24-12.jpg
    Mishkufull2_01-24-12.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 69
  • MazBlm1_10-23-13.jpg
    MazBlm1_10-23-13.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 61
  • MazHarv2_11-06-13.jpg
    MazHarv2_11-06-13.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 61
  • MazHarv4_11-06-13.jpg
    MazHarv4_11-06-13.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Maz-flower 001GG.jpg
    Maz-flower 001GG.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 61

Sibbeli

How do I get hold of this superb true MIS? Real true Indica landraces is what I need, for my breeding for above 56lat outdoors

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
How do I get hold of this superb true MIS? Real true Indica landraces is what I need, for my breeding for above 56lat outdoors

Mazar is not available commercially. Although it could do ok in Scandinavia being hardy as fuck, it might not be the best candidate for breeding in a rainy climate. It's a desert strain after all. I grew a hybrid of RSC Mazar in the past and it flowered in august. Someone stole the plants so that was that.

What you need is a strain with some mold resistance. Cannabiogens Pakistani is where I would start.

ngakpa

Veteran
hi

I seldom post here these days, but it's great to see there are people working the lines I collected

just to give my opinion on the correct taxonomy for the RSC Mazar-i-Sharif - I think it is probably a hybrid, probably post '30s, of an an Afghan sativa (indica var. indica) with an Afghan indica (indica var. afghanica)

Cannabis indica var. afghanica = a smaller, broad leaflet plant (what growers call 'indicas')
Cannabis indica var. indica = a larger, narrow leaflet plant (what growers call 'sativas')

Clarke etc. follow the Russian botanist Vavilov in believing that afghanicas originate in the wild in Kunar Valley in Afghanistan, through which the Kunar/Chitral river flows from Chitral to the Indus River

Vavilov observed afghanicas (indicas) there in the '30s and didn't see them anywhere else in Afghanistan, only sativas

what he saw growing in the north, around Mazar-i-Sharif, were 'sativas' (indica var. indica)

Clarke's theory is that Uighurs from Chinese Turkestan brought wild afghanicas into cultivation post 1930 when they migrated into Afghanistan

not sure about the Uighur theory, but I reckon Clarke might be right that a lot of Afghan plants are hybrids (as are a lot of Thai/Lao plants) ---

so my money says this Mazar-i-Sharif is an Afghan indica x sativa hybrid, or in modern terms indica var. afghanica x indica var. indica

what Roms is doing is breeding this MIS to the afghanica side

the Afghans usually call the Mazar-i-Sharif strain Mazari or Balkhi --- this is the plant that Afghans call Mazar, and what they mostly grow in the most famous growing province, which is Balkh (main city is Mazar-i-Sharif)

to clarify: afaik the BOEL were getting their hash from Kandahar in the south, other end of the country from Mazar... if that is also where a lot of seeds were coming from back in the 70s then it is more likely those were from strains like Kandahari etc. which is still grown today

the Mazar the Afghans grow is typically a big plant --- the most common small strain is called Watani

though as you can see the small afghanica side of the genetics can be brought out from the Mazar-i-Sharif genepool as Roms is doing

cheers,

Namkha

ngakpa

Veteran
@Idiit

I just wanted to clear up the point about taxonomy --- it's not really appropriate for me to post here as I am associated with Real Seed Co, and we don't advertise or rent a forum here

@Idiit
To better understand the question i think we have to mention the various Kafiristanica! Who comes from Nuristan, border of the Afghanistan and Pakistan (India). Understanding var. Afghanica for the Afghan side and indica for the Indian side... And Kafiristanica as a probably common origin? .

to clear this up:

Vavilov identified both Cannabis indica var. afghanica and Cannabis indica var. kafiristanica in Kunar Valley --- both wild plants

the wild C. indica var. afghanica is the putative ancestor of domesticated broad leaflet Afghan plants

the wild C. indica var. kafiristanica is the putative ancestor of cultivated 'sativa' drug plants, which these days Amrerican cannabis botanists prefer to call Cannabis indica var. indica

I think the Mazar-i-Sharif is a hybrid of cultivated plants descended from both these wild types... whether the Kunar Valley is the home of its wild progenitors I don't know

Ranger

hi

I seldom post here these days, but it's great to see there are people working the lines I collected

just to give my opinion on the correct taxonomy for the RSC Mazar-i-Sharif - I think it is probably a hybrid, probably post '30s, of an an Afghan sativa (indica var. indica) with an Afghan indica (indica var. afghanica)

Cannabis indica var. afghanica = a smaller, broad leaflet plant (what growers call 'indicas')
Cannabis indica var. indica = a larger, narrow leaflet plant (what growers call 'sativas')

Clarke etc. follow the Russian botanist Vavilov in believing that afghanicas originate in the wild in Kunar Valley in Afghanistan, through which the Kunar/Chitral river flows from Chitral to the Indus River

Vavilov observed afghanicas (indicas) there in the '30s and didn't see them anywhere else in Afghanistan, only sativas

what he saw growing in the north, around Mazar-i-Sharif, were 'sativas' (indica var. indica)

Clarke's theory is that Uighurs from Chinese Turkestan brought wild afghanicas into cultivation post 1930 when they migrated into Afghanistan

not sure about the Uighur theory, but I reckon Clarke might be right that a lot of Afghan plants are hybrids (as are a lot of Thai/Lao plants) ---

so my money says this Mazar-i-Sharif is an Afghan indica x sativa hybrid, or in modern terms indica var. afghanica x indica var. indica

what Roms is doing is breeding this MIS to the afghanica side

the Afghans usually call the Mazar-i-Sharif strain Mazari or Balkhi --- this is the plant that Afghans call Mazar, and what they mostly grow in the most famous growing province, which is Balkh (main city is Mazar-i-Sharif)

to clarify: afaik the BOEL were getting their hash from Kandahar in the south, other end of the country from Mazar... if that is also where a lot of seeds were coming from back in the 70s then it is more likely those were from strains like Kandahari etc. which is still grown today

the Mazar the Afghans grow is typically a big plant --- the most common small strain is called Watani

though as you can see the small afghanica side of the genetics can be brought out from the Mazar-i-Sharif genepool as Roms is doing

cheers,

Namkha

From growing both MIS and PCK I can say that these theories are quite plausible. I made note to several friends that the MIS must have had some Sativa in the line somewhere. While the PCK doesn't seem to have.

Two of my favorite strains right there although I'm not using your line I believe they are close to the same from Ace seeds, at least the MIS I believe came from the same "area" in the same fashion.

Really appreciate your input brotha! And thanks for the work you do man.

ngakpa

Veteran
hi - thanks for the kind words

if I remember right the strain description and possibly name of the Pakistan Chitral Kush used to be different and mentioned that the original seeds were collected in Chitral Gol, a national park in Chitral in the high Hindu Kush

Mriko has also brought back seeds from Yarkhun and Laspur valleys in the same region grew them out and shared them - as did I, though they were mostly duff

the point being that Chitral Gol, Yarkhun and Laspure are all areas along the upper reaches of the Kunar River (aka Chitral River etc.) - and this is where Vavilov speculates wild progenitors of 'sativas' and 'indicas' originate

in terms of the PCK not seeming to have much 'sativa' in it - bear in mind that it is an inbred line that has had plenty of selection done on it

cultivated (i.e. open pollinated) plants in Chitral certainly show both NLD and WLD traits

my tuppence would be that the idea of a 'pure indica' is an abstraction and largely a product of heavy modern style selection

I think there are probably up to about 20 cultivars grown in and around the Hindu Kush region in Afghanistan and Pakistan and I doubt any of them would meet the Western grow scenes criteria for a 'pure indica'...

the region is home to both wild progenitor types, with more of the 'sativa' type, and not least cultivation is by open pollination and there is a lot of wild and cultivated pollen blowing around

Ranger

hi - thanks for the kind words

if I remember right the strain description and possibly name of the Pakistan Chitral Kush used to be different and mentioned that the original seeds were collected in Chitral Gol, a national park in Chitral in the high Hindu Kush

Mriko has also brought back seeds from Yarkhun and Laspur valleys in the same region grew them out and shared them - as did I, though they were mostly duff

the point being that Chitral Gol, Yarkhun and Laspure are all areas along the upper reaches of the Kunar River (aka Chitral River etc.) - and this is where Vavilov speculates wild progenitors of 'sativas' and 'indicas' originate

in terms of the PCK not seeming to have much 'sativa' in it - bear in mind that it is an inbred line that has had plenty of selection done on it

cultivated (i.e. open pollinated) plants in Chitral certainly show both NLD and WLD traits

my tuppence would be that the idea of a 'pure indica' is an abstraction and largely a product of heavy modern style selection

I think there are probably up to about 20 cultivars grown in and around the Hindu Kush region in Afghanistan and Pakistan and I doubt any of them would meet the Western grow scenes criteria for a 'pure indica'...

the region is home to both wild progenitor types, with more of the 'sativa' type, and not least cultivation is by open pollination and there is a lot of wild and cultivated pollen blowing around

Really appreciate the history and I must say that PCK is the most beautiful cultivar I have had the pleasure of growing, almost always maroon or purple in color and now I know why. It came from an incredibly beautiful part of the world. Also perhaps the cradle of cannabis as it would seem.

I get very few green phenos from my stock and the potency of THC is always random. I am currently breeding them for high CBD phenos as well as high THC phenos. The high THC phenos are much more prevalent but I have a couple high CBD phenos out of a couple hundred I have run so far.

I have also gotten high CBD phenos from my MIS stock in the past, but at the time I didn't know what they were, just thought they were weak or that I did something wrong in growing them.

ngakpa

Veteran
It came from an incredibly beautiful part of the world. Also perhaps the cradle of cannabis as it would seem.

hi - just to clarify:

the Kunar River region is just one of the likely cradles

cannabis more than likely was domesticated in many different parts of the world at various times

Kunar is one likely wild origin in the west; in the east a likely point of origin for both East Asian hemp cultivars and Indochinese ganja cultivars is the Hengduan and Yunnan region in Southern China

the latter being a definite glacial refuge for cannabis during in the last Ice Age

it's a fair bet there is at least one other probable point in the wider Himalayan region - perhaps Western Nepal, perhaps the Punjab foothills... these are likely origin points for Western Himalayan multipurpose fibre/seed/charas cultivars as well as the ganja cultivars of subtropical and tropical India

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
(...)
Vavilov identified both Cannabis indica var. afghanica and Cannabis indica var. kafiristanica in Kunar Valley --- both wild plants
(...)
I think the Mazar-i-Sharif is a hybrid of cultivated plants descended from both these wild types... whether the Kunar Valley is the home of its wild progenitors I don't know

High Namkha, i think if Mr Vavilov named the line Kafiristanica it means that it comes from Nuristan and the Pech river, not exactly the Kunar valley. ;)
picture.php

Well MIS is a hybrid no doubt, worked by the hasch Afghan farmers there since centuries. Probably something Kafiristanica origin and after worked with some of the best Indian ganja? It's funny because right there in the Kunar Valley there is a town called Kerala! Peace

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
hi Roms -

if you are interested you should just take the time to read Vavilov's Origin and Geography of Cultivated Plants

there he describes observing both the afghanica and kafiristanica types in the Kunar Valley - that is where he made his observations on which this whole discussion is based

kafiristanica is used to describe any narrow leaflet wild/feral C. indica var. indica plants - they grow all over regions like Afghanistan, Pakistan and North India inc. the Himalaya

I think it is strange that he chose to use the name, and I am yet to read why he chose it

there is no ganja cultivation in Afghanistan... the furthest north that happens is Uttar Pradesh in India

anyway, I stick by what I said about the Mazar earlier

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I can not find the exact N. Vavilov references about the Kafiristanican, if you have please quote. :)

You say Kafiristanican have narrow leaves hum i think it is wrong man do you confused with spontanea today lines? Kafiristanican have broad leaves origin, Nouristan (ex Kafiristan) is a land up to 2500m, plants acclimated have to be stocky and short (1.5m max) with very ribbed trunk and big broad leaves due to the altitude and UV intensity. (Deep chunk, X18...)

About the Indian (Pakistan) and Afghanistan antic relation ship i think it is well unknown nowadays as the kafiristan culture. The true kafiristanican cannabis is probably extinct now without the human hand there up to 2500m and since that the culture disappears due to "Islam".

Post Scriptum :
1671774980435.png

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
you can search Vavilov's book on Google books

don't know where you are getting the rest of what you are saying about kafiristanica from though - anyone can look in any authoritative book on this and see that is wrong

and 'spontanea' just means spontaneously appearing - i.e. wild (or wild-ish)