What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic media & amendment suppliers in the UK

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive been getting a few good new leads on these recently from IC members and have been meaning to start a thread so we can pool the info. I prefer to order from regular suppiers rather than hydro stores as they are safer(imo) and cheaper

Dont get hung up trying to get EXACTLY the same stuff as the USA growers as not all will be available, but there are plenty of good supplies to make a decent soil.

Gardendirect.co. uk
Perite (100 litre bags)
Dolomite Lime
Gypsum,
Seaweed Meal
Rock Phosphate
Rock Potash
Liquid humus

greenshorticulture.co. uk (this IS a hydro type store)
worm casts / EWC (biobizz)
Calcined clay (seramis) - Also note that Sophisticat Pink kitty litter is the same product as seramis and cheeper.

thenaturalgardener.co. uk
Neem seed meal
biochar.
Seaweed

J

jaded1

Will add a few;

www.viresco.co.uk for humic,fulvic and trace minerals(ring them,it's cheaper)

www.holdencountrystore.co.uk for cheap and pretty decent ewc,for the best quality purchased ewc i've tried(and there have been many)try www.bucketofworms.co.uk

Will put up www.b-actif.co.uk for comfrey pellets and nettle products,comfrey is the 1 additive i wouldn't grow without,plants love it.

Nice 1 VG,have been looking for calcined clay.Have tried to find the sophisticat pink,think it may of been discontinued as nowhere has it.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks jaded1 i was hoping you were going to weigh in with a few :)

can we have your source for myco too please?

ive been getting the comfrey pellets from amazon, although i grow a lot of it in the garden too the pellets are really easy to grind up and add to a mix. they are all made by agralan (b-actif is a subsidary afaik)

fargro.co.uk are worth a look for 'new school' stuff. i get my aged bark fines from them
http://www.fargro.co.uk/content/products/catalogues/se/index.asp#126

J

jaded1

Verdant,you'll get over double the amount of comfrey from b-actif site as you do from amazon for,when you factor in p&p,almost the same price(comes in a pretty large basket instead of a bag).B-actif is an algaran site,garden naturally purchase it off them and then add their mark-up

Source for myco's is fluidsensoronline com.Choose the 1 with just endo's.

Have found that all the u.k sellers of myco's have really low spore counts,rootgrow being the worst with 12 spores per gram and plant magic having the most(cant remember how many it was,was a while ago)but as 1/2 of the spores are ecto,these work out much better value.

I have just purchased 400g of glomus intrarades and the same of mosseae with an 800 and 1000 spores per gram count,is from abroad though.

Last edited:

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
yeah you are kind of right! would be nice to have a U.S. and U.K thread for organic suppliers... or one thread with two different sections...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks jaded i'll check that next time.

yeah sour i started the thread because most recommendation on the board are for US suppliers and some of the stuff is hard to get over here or takes some searching out.

VG

Dkgrower

Veteran
Anybody have any supply for worm castings & fishbones - Bones, not fishmeal..

I bought some from Plagron and they where worm compost - i tryed the water test and it all when down to the bottom ergo not pure castings properly only 5%

So if anybody got any european supply line of pure grain feed castings it would be golden.

Danes, check these sites out

http://www.landogfritid.dk/?gclid=CInqvNC6gbgCFdJ2cAodySEA-g

They carrie - Fishmeal - Alfalfa (lucern)meal, 100 % pure Molasse in 15L containers, Oligossacarides Pig feed supplement.

http://www.solsikken.dk/shop.aspx

They have rockmeal - Dryed seeweed (From Algeafert) and also a liquid 3-3-6 organic fertiliser, chicken compost ect

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice one W! havent used them for a while but thats where i got my comfrey plants from years ago.

DK - biobizz do worm castings... they are the only ones i can find in sacks in the UK. they seem very good to me. im sure you'd find them on the continent too.

Dkgrower

Veteran
DK - biobizz do worm castings... they are the only ones i can find in sacks in the UK. they seem very good to me. im sure you'd find them on the continent too.

Thanks - did u try and put some in a glass of water.

Pure castings float - best way to check.

C

Carbon.Chains

Anybody have any supply for worm castings & fishbones - Bones, not fishmeal..

I bought some from Plagron and they where worm compost - i tryed the water test and it all when down to the bottom ergo not pure castings properly only 5%

So if anybody got any european supply line of pure grain feed castings it would be golden.

Danes, check these sites out

http://www.landogfritid.dk/?gclid=CInqvNC6gbgCFdJ2cAodySEA-g

They carrie - Fishmeal - Alfalfa (lucern)meal, 100 % pure Molasse in 15L containers, Oligossacarides Pig feed supplement.

http://www.solsikken.dk/shop.aspx

They have rockmeal - Dryed seeweed (From Algeafert) and also a liquid 3-3-6 organic fertiliser, chicken compost ect

Hey,
Couldn't find the fishmeal in your first link? Then again my Danish is really bad. Nice to have a alfalfa source now though :)
If there's any Germans out there:

vulkatec-onlineshop.de
Pumice, lava rock, volcanic ashes, zeolith

susterra.de (they don't have anything in stock yet)
Guano, biochar, bentonite, worm castings, rockmeal (urgesteinmehl), garden lime, lavarock, pumice, DE, coco fiber, perlite, vermiculite, zeolith

okhandel.dk
bloodmeal, bonemeal, composted cow manure, cow manure, chicken manure, peatmoss (limed and amended available too)
and some mineral called "Kugler" available in 2-6 and 8-14mm sizes

Hope this is useful for anyone

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey,
Couldn't find the fishmeal in your first link? Then again my Danish is really bad. Nice to have a alfalfa source now though :)
If there's any Germans out there:

vulkatec-onlineshop.de

okhandel.dk
bloodmeal, bonemeal, composted cow manure, cow manure, chicken manure, peatmoss (limed and amended available too)
and some mineral called "Kugler" available in 2-6 and 8-14mm sizes

Hope this is useful for anyone

Hey Carbon - thanks for that okhandel.dk line thats a new one to me =)). I tryed to find a some what local source for bone meal - i do belive that they are breaking the law because it is illegal in denmark but i am driving there very soon to stock up on some basics and check out there store =))))

Regarding the Fishmeal the brand is called "FF Skagen" i dont think they list in there online shop, but they got it - i bet that okhandel.dk also have it - its used as a supplement in pig and other animals feeds

Last edited:
C

Carbon.Chains

Hey Carbon - thanks for that okhandel.dk line thats a new one to me =)). I tryed to find a some what local source for bone meal - i do belive that they are breaking the law because it is illegal in denmark but i am driving there very soon to stock up on some basics and check out there store =))))
Regarding the Fishmeal the brand is called "FF Skagen" i dont think they list in there online shop, but they got it - i bet that okhandel.dk also have it - its used as a supplement in pig and other animals feeds

Haha I'm really glad I could help :)
Didn't know bonemeal was illegal, kind of weird..
You're lucky to have a nearby distributor though, their shipping is 249kr... Regardless of the order apparently.

And thanks for the precision! I'll look into it.
I thought of asking local fishermen for their fish carcasses but I'm unsure as to how I'd grind it...

Dkgrower

Veteran
And thanks for the precision! I'll look into it.
I thought of asking local fishermen for their fish carcasses but I'm unsure as to how I'd grind it...

Use a blender or just chop them up as good as u can - the coarser the longer it needs to ferment..

Add some carbon rich materiale and a splash of molasse and you are good to go after some months of fermenting.

Btw i think you will get a much better product that the grinded and steamed fish meal i referred to

J

jaded1

Try your local garden centre Fruitilicious,some b&q's and homebases stock it but not all.
B&q is also good for rock dust,sold under the verve brand name but again not all stores stock it.

Latest posts

Latest posts