Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 AM #21
OrganicLearner

OrganicLearner will become famous soon enoughOrganicLearner will become famous soon enough
Really? Do you notice your compost and castings quality deteriorate or anything? I don't want to buy the best compost I can and then mess it up with the chlorine/chloramines.

I was thinking of maybe adding a thick mulch of biochar to kind of act like a filter but idk it might hold too much..
OrganicLearner is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM #22
Biosynthesis

Biosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to all
One way would be to pour it into a big container and let it set exposed to the elements for a few days and this should render chlorines inactive. Large kiddie pool comes to mind. but then you have the hassle of pumping it from the kiddie pool or whatever you choose to use. Not to sure what RO is? although I see people talking of it an awful lot. Perhaps you can explain what RO is to me. Im sure theres better less labor intensive ways but thats what came to my enebriated mind. Im using water straight from a spring. Have had it tested and everythings cool. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

I had a garden in town years ago and it did just ALRIGHT with untreated city water, but as I recall I got compliments on it so its doo-able.
Biosynthesis is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM #23
OrganicLearner

OrganicLearner will become famous soon enoughOrganicLearner will become famous soon enough
Yeah I was thinking about that method to storing the water in tanks to evaporate the chlorine but then I found out my city also has chloramines in the water and it doesn't evaporate. Ro stands for reverse osmosis its just a water filtering system that is supposed to get rid of chlorine and chloramines completely or to a really low ppm. Thanks for trying to help and sorry no pics of veggie garden for your thread..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 AM #24
ClackamasCootz
Expired

ClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to allClackamasCootz is a name known to all
OrganicLearner

If you're concerned you could go with a massive airstone from Lake-Aeration.com and their largest is this one which measures 7" x 1.5" shown below.

Run this in a 50 gallon tank with a large air-pump for a few hours and you'll have dechlorinated water. If your water company adds Chloramine then you can neutralize that by tossing in a couple of handfuls of compost into the tank as it will convert Chloramine to Chlorine and the airstone will take care of that.

An airstone like this runs $54.00 and you should expect to pay around $35.00 - $50.00 for a suitable air pump.

HTH

CC
ClackamasCootz is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM #25
Biosynthesis

Biosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to allBiosynthesis is a name known to all
Also there are salmon that run up the creek in the fall and after spawn some lie dead on the bank. Collect them up and dig holes and plant them in the fall.

some serious organic farmers are stopping in. Awesome!! I buy a gallon Jug of fish emulsion about once a year for the garden to use in the tea mix. It doesnt say "ORGANIC" but what other kind of fish is there? Its just emulsified fish scraps from fish factories. Is this cheating in the eyes of staunch organic growers?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM #26
OrganicBuds
Banned

OrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud ofOrganicBuds has much to be proud of
Molasses also breaks down chloromine. I always let my molasses run in my teas for a day before I add the rest of the material. I also have a filter that should remove chlorine/chlorimine, but just in case.
OrganicBuds is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 AM #27
captain planet

captain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud of
Ohhhhh u know the captain loves a good veggie garden!

Current Mothers
1: GG4
2: Girl Scout Cookies (forum)
3: Sour Dubb
4: Stardawg (Corey Haim)
5: 2.0
6: Blue Dream
captain planet is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM #28
OrganicLearner

Yeah good ideas cc,organic buds and biosynthesis i always wanted to try that trick burying the fish in the soil ever since i heard that tale of the indians doing it. I might just wait until I'm able to make enough compost for the veggie patch so I don't have to worry about wasting store bought and water it with plain tap and see what happens because I know if I have to do a ritual to water the veggies everytime I will eventually just get tired of it and just say screw it. But with making teas I wouldn't mind going out of the way to get the water cleaner..

Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM #29
Biosynthesis

hey cap!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM #30
Biosynthesis

I see you dilemma OL. clackamas said its a bit overstated and i buy that. Ive seen very healthy gardens right smack dab in a metropolis. im sure the average joe doesnt give it a second thought.