What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWET oil extraction

2000pm

Last small run came out great - super flavorful, golden amber.
Vac'd after the initial process described in the beginning.

FI3Go.jpg

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice, how does it test out? Hee, hee, hee...........

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll bet! I consider QWET from cured bud to be one of the most flavorful oils vaporized.

Noticeably more floral essense in high polar alcohol extractions in general, as compared to butane or hexane extractions, which are non polar solvents.

Butane extractions from fresh frozen material is an exception, as it also has a a fresh floral flavor.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee.......... Purdy and elegantly presented, as always brother Jump!

2000pm

Noticeably more floral essense in high polar alcohol extractions in general, as compared to butane or hexane extractions, which are non polar solvents.

Yea I had read you saying that a few times but didn't really get the effect until this batch in that sense. I think I may have purged too hot or something the first couple of runs but this one I made sure to keep as stable as possible during the purge.

Great looking stuff as expect Jump!

mad librettist

Veteran
Heya GW, could you talk a bit about using denatured SLX?

I am currently running SLX extraction followed by ethanol clean up/winterization. I use a chemex coffee brewer to keep things cold as I filter (I can fill up the top and leave it to filter in the freezer).

What I'm finding is that even the warm ethanol (95% @ around 90F) is leaving behind some kind of plant wax, so that I have to scrub the dish. No amount of ethanol washing gets rid of the white gunk and some darker stuff.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heya GW, could you talk a bit about using denatured SLX?

I am currently running SLX extraction followed by ethanol clean up/winterization. I use a chemex coffee brewer to keep things cold as I filter (I can fill up the top and leave it to filter in the freezer).

What I'm finding is that even the warm ethanol (95% @ around 90F) is leaving behind some kind of plant wax, so that I have to scrub the dish. No amount of ethanol washing gets rid of the white gunk and some darker stuff.

Sorry to just notice this post ML! Methanol extracts some stuff that another polar solvent can't get rid of. You can clean it up with ethanol, but not make it pristine.

Extracting frozen material using chilled denatured, and minimizing the time will help, and a hexane wash would fix it. Check out my thread on getting the waxes and green out for details.

mad librettist

Veteran
so should I skip the winterization, and just use the ethanol to clean out the SLX?

I can't use hexane, butane, or any other of the really dangerous solvents. Not at my place, anyway.

mad librettist

Veteran
Beware of methanol vapor plz.

I had it on a radiator under a window with the fan blowing outside. It got to about 90 F. The room is away from where I hang out.

Should I be alright like that? Should I go back to ethanol extraction? i switched to save money. Figured I could just use ethanol at the end.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had it on a radiator under a window with the fan blowing outside. It got to about 90 F. The room is away from where I hang out.

Should I be alright like that? Should I go back to ethanol extraction? i switched to save money. Figured I could just use ethanol at the end.

As long as you purge it adequately and ventilate adequately, methanol works fine. I does require more attention to details than ethanol.

You can smell methanol at around 100 ppm. TWA Exposure limits for 4 hours is 250 ppm.

Besides oral and respiratory, Methanol can also be absorbed through the skin, and attacks the optical nerves, in addition to the kidneys, liver, brain, nervous system, and respiratory tract.

It is more explosive than ethanol, with lower explosive limits at 6% and the upper at 36.5% atmosphere. 6% atmosphere is 60,000 ppm, so it will smell pretty pungent at the lower explosive limit.

mad librettist

Veteran
As long as you purge it adequately and ventilate adequately, methanol works fine. I does require more attention to details than ethanol.

You can smell methanol at around 100 ppm. TWA Exposure limits for 4 hours is 250 ppm.

Besides oral and respiratory, Methanol can also be absorbed through the skin, and attacks the optical nerves, in addition to the kidneys, liver, brain, nervous system, and respiratory tract.

It is more explosive than ethanol, with lower explosive limits at 6% and the upper at 36.5% atmosphere. 6% atmosphere is 60,000 ppm, so it will smell pretty pungent at the lower explosive limit.

I'd say the odor in the room where I am evaporating is very slight.

Do I have to get all anal about purging if i am finishing with an ethanol wash? this is just for personal use.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd say the odor in the room where I am evaporating is very slight.

Do I have to get all anal about purging if i am finishing with an ethanol wash? this is just for personal use.

The ethanol wash will purge the rest of the methanol.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Awesome! Thanks for the thread, Gray Wolf.

Gonna make some QWET pills.

JColtrane

So I've tried my hand at this processes, and I think I miss understood the wash part, and wonder if I'm fucked?

I've taken 25g dried bud material from an outdoor harvest, and put it into a mason jar. Than I added 200g of frozen Everclear (this is all I had in the freezer). I shook the jar for 3 mins, and filtered through a 220 1g bubble bag I have. I put the liquid in a stainless steel bowl, and threw it into the freezer.

So the liquid looks bright green. I'm guessing I shook things too long, and removed too much chlorophyll. When I move the liquid in the bowl by spinning it, I can notice a lighter mater underneath the bright green.

Am I on the right track? This is just a test run for me, got a lot of material to work with. Will I be able to filter off, or remove the bright green color by more wash's and filters? Any help would be great!

:thank you:

JColtrane

Qwet

Qwet

So I've tried my hand at this processes, and I think I miss understood the wash part, and wonder if I'm fucked?

I've taken 25g dried bud material from an outdoor harvest, and put it into a mason jar. Than I added 200g of frozen Everclear (this is all I had in the freezer). I shook the jar for 3 mins, and filtered through a 220 1g bubble bag I have. I put the liquid in a stainless steel bowl, and threw it into the freezer.

So the liquid looks bright green. I'm guessing I shook things too long, and removed too much chlorophyll. When I move the liquid in the bowl by spinning it, I can notice a lighter mater underneath the bright green.

Am I on the right track? This is just a test run for me, got a lot of material to work with. Will I be able to filter off, or remove the bright green color by more wash's and filters?

:thank you:

Latest posts

Latest posts