What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis infused olive oil

johnnyd

I'm doing 8.5 g's in hemp oil right now simmering it for about 8 hours +. I'll post potency results later. Would it be better to leave it at room temperature for 2-3 days or cook it at 90 degrees for two days or cook it at 90 degrees for 8 hours?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so all we have to do is throw herb in some oil, leave it there for 3 days, then eat it?

we don't need to heat it after it sitting in the oil?

john cutter

bump. i have some really good olive oil i want to try this with and then make a balsamic dressing.

3 grams to a cup of oil? then use a double boiler? any other opinions?

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I think it may have something to do with HDLs (high density lipids) and LDLs (low density lipids). Olive oil is said to be very good for you because it contains high amounts of HDLs (good cholesterol) which also lowers LDLs (bad cholesterol) in the blood.

So maybe LDLs can absorb/dissolve more resin than HDLs. This is just something that I think should be considered. I could be very wrong. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Yep...you are wrong...

HDL/LDL refers to lipoproteins in your blood. Oils have none of these.

candice

SO I am using peanut oil tonight with half ounce of buds/trim in a crockpot and hoping for the best! Any recommendations on time and amounti of oil to use?

candice

It worked amazing!! i ended up using 3c. canola oil and about 2 oz of trim/buds!! i let it simmer for around three days and it was very potent stuff! I made brownies, muffins, and white chocolate peanut butter bars that are killer! Very potent! Now I am trying another batch of cannabutter! Seems like most baking recipes call for butter not oil and I haven't figured out the way to sub oil for butter yet... any suggestions??

Barnt

I love making olive oil with my vaporizer remains. The key to any method is getting the last of the solvent (oil, butter, etc) out of the material. For this, I made a press. I use a 4" C-clamp and a small empty can. The lid acts as the plunger and the bottom as the support. I reinforced the bottom and lid of the can with large washers that the C-clamp tightens on.

Before using my press, I would make oil that a good dose would contain 1.7g of vaped bud. I would use cheese cloth and my hands to squeeze all the oil out of the bud, which did not work to well. Now with the press, a good dose is only .3g of vaped per dose. Any more and I'm FLOORED!

I use a double boiler and then a wire screen to strain out the large pieces that come off the press. Then I run this through a coffee filter to take out the fines (this usually takes a day). If I ate it just like this or used it for cooking I would burp up weed taste for hours. To fix this problem I mixed water with the oil after it went through the coffee filter and shook the crap out of it (obviously in a jar with a lid on it). It does make the oil look funny because of all the water drops mixed in. I found the best way to re-separate the oil from the water was with heat. Put the jar in a pot with a few inches of water and bring to a boil. Make sure the lid isn't screwed on tight to release pressure from within the jar when it heats up. I then remove the water (use a syringe or turkey baster) and replace with clean water. Doing this twice took out all of the flavor in the olive oil. I just eat the oil straight and it doesn't taste like anything.

Another thing to note is I like my oil potent. Why eat more fat if you can concentrate the fat to thc ratio? My last batch of oil I used 14g of vaped weed and just under 1/4cup of olive oil. This is not enough oil to process all the weed. So, I put about 5g into the double boiler and then the oil. It is enough oil to just get everything wet, but not enough to pool in the pan. I cook for ~30 min and then spoon the weed that is wet with oil into the can. I then press the can and drain the oil back into the cooking pan. I then use the next 5g of vaped weed and do this until all is gone. Even with the press there was about 1/3 less of oil returned after cooking. This means that 1/3 of all potency is trapped in the pressed 'pucks' of cooked weed. To get this potency out, I fluffed the pucks back up and added a little more oil (about 1/8 a cup of oil). After stirring the mixture for a while (no need to cook it again, the point of this is to dilute the remaining oil in the bud) I put all of it back into the press to get more oil out. So now I have 14g in about 60ml of oil. I then of course ran it through the coffee filter and then used water to extract the foul taste picked up. There is still a little oil trapped in the remaining puck, with a little potency. One could do another rinse with more fresh oil, but I figure its good enough and toss the rest.

One dose of this oil is just over 1ml. Very small and very discrete. Clear eyes are a must though because this stuff makes your eyes glow like a stop light!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Very cool Barnt, good process you have. You hit the nail on the head, with edibles, getting the goods back out of the weed is a chore, and there is always some lost. I like your method, I will work something like that out soon myself, tired of the loss. I make green milk, then add back water, reheat and restrain 3 times to get as much as I can out, and it kicks my ass nicely. But I need to make some oil soon, stoney spinach salads are a trip!
H

xfargox

Damn, Barnt. You're really giving me ideas. I might have to bug you with questions about this in the very, very near future.

Edit: One thing about the fat thing. Actually, the fat in EVOO is very heart-healthy :)

I'm not saying to chug a bottle... but one of the best foods for "bulking up" in the weightlifting world is EVOO. They pour it on everything. So feel free to use as much oil as you want!

Unless you heat it to the point of smoking. EVOO is not healthy when it's "cooked" because of some of the reactions that occur at its smoking point.

Oh, and for those wondering, EVOO actually does reduce LDL and raise HDL levels. Don't buy into the whole "everything is bad for you" mentality. The cholesterol in eggs can actually be very beneficial, as can the fat in milk (whole milk is better than skim milk...but read on).

The reason why everyone thinks they're bad is because of the exercise level of people. Whole milk contains IGF-1 which basically can be used by the body to make HGH and Testosterone. I say "and Testosterone" because basically, high hgh promotes high testosterone. They're symbiotic.

I'm kind of ranting here, but long story short: especially if you lift weights and exercise regularly, EVOO is good for you!

T

theJointedOne

my fave way to make any oil infused with cannabis is to grind up an ounce of buds in a cofee grinder. Put this ounce in a 1 quart mason jar and fill almost to to the top with whatever oil is prefered. Then seal tightly and place in a canning insert in a large soup pot. If you dont have a canning insert simply line the bottom of the pot with a couple wooden spoons so the jars cant touch the bottom of the pot. Boil until the top of the jars have a mirror effect, usually a couple hours. Be care full it is HOT. remove and let cool to warm. strain and press remaining vegtable matter. enjoy

M

Marywanna

This is the best thread EVER. I make infused oils all the time. It never even occurred to me to try MJ untill my CG mentioned it. Thank you guys.

Heating the oil / bud mix speeds up the reaction of the thc breaking down / dissolving into the oil.

Oil can be really really potent, but once bottled, will last for ages... you can also work out your dose using tea spoons... eg: 1 teaspoon for after work, 2 teaspoons for poker night..etc

I find the oil high is as stated before, very clear. For me it is totally beyond smoking in terms of the clarity of the plants spirit.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
Soooo....I am getting ready to bake a cake here for a b-day sware'....hootinanny jamboree! I wanted to know if the mix calls for whatever amount of oil, can I use the butter I made according to the recipe in this thread? And, another question: How much of a thc taste will be in that cake? Also, when making the butter can you put finger hash in the mix? Will it break down?

C

cannavore

Credible if the recipe calls for oil, you can substitute butter in it's place just fine. The taste depends on how the butter was made, if the material is more crushed up usually there is more taste and usually more potent. That taste means it is good stuff lol, but that green taste can be minimized with different recipes. Good information around the boards about foods that help. A favorite of ours is brownie mix with that fudge packet, or peanutbutter cup and fudge brownies. You might find more info in the cannabutter threads, I think this one is about making cannabis oil. Oil, like butter and milk fats are different substances that work to bind with cannabinoids and resins. My mistake if this is not what you are asking, but I think it is your question.

Also you can use finger hash when making bubble it will get absorbed just fine. Finger hash is tasty and like a nice treat my opinion, if you are afforded the option to smoke or vaporize you should enjoy it. If smoking is not an option then using it for ingestion is a great choice also.

StickyScissors

If i were to ground up a few grams of quality sinsemilla and add it to pure olive oil then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours will i get any effect from it? or will the THC need to be heated?

2 grams ground sinsemilla
1/4 cup of olive oil
minced garlic
dried thyme

i have been reading and researching for weeks on how to make the ideal cannabis infused oil........ I have personally been leaning towards coconut oil and have also considered olive oil.......

what a great thread !

Thank you for starting it.............:thank you:

my fave way to make any oil infused with cannabis is to grind up an ounce of buds in a cofee grinder. Put this ounce in a 1 quart mason jar and fill almost to to the top with whatever oil is prefered. Then seal tightly and place in a canning insert in a large soup pot. If you dont have a canning insert simply line the bottom of the pot with a couple wooden spoons so the jars cant touch the bottom of the pot. Boil until the top of the jars have a mirror effect, usually a couple hours. Be care full it is HOT. remove and let cool to warm. strain and press remaining vegtable matter. enjoy
can you explain the mirror effect to me kind sir?

Barn Owl

This thread got me curious and I tried just letting the cannabis set in the oil for about three days, no heat. It does work, but for me, has no where near the appeal of slow heating in a crock pot. I guess it can depend on how much you use edibles. Due to an asthma issue and the fact that I live in the desert, I never smoke or even vaporize it anymore. Edibles became appealing to me first, for the breathing issues, but after, the effect is just the best. However, when I use it frequently, the tolorance becomes an issue, so the method in this thread is interesting, but not as useful for me...

Latest posts

Latest posts