What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Asthma patient wants closest experience to smoking

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
My friend has asthma and cannot smoke (vape also hurts his breathing, he has a volcano), so he's looking for another way to use cannabis.

He doesn't want the method to take too long to prepare, and claims that baking gives him a creeping body high and makes him drowsy, instead of the strong heady high he would get from smoking. He doesn't drink, so no tinctures.

What suggestions do you guys have for him?

Thanks

Caprican

Out of curiousity, is your friend using the volcano correctly? Many people run at too high a heat and still generate some smoke which will give you issues

For reference, I usually run my volcano at 4 1/2 and get zero smoke and a whole lot of stoned... When I first got it I looked on the internet for temperature setting recommendations and found a whole lot of nonsense, with people running at 6-7... I used that for a while and was like "huh, this tastes alot like smoking". Once I figured out the right temperature to use suddenly it was worth the money.

If just the inhalation of vapor gives him big problems best solution I can come up with is a dropper of tincture in a glass of water. I did that yesterday with some green dragon I made and 1-2ml in an 8oz glass of water was completely undetectable, but it got me ripped... Or is it the alcohol in the tincture itself thats a problem where he can't ingest a small amount of alcohol?

JRace

Your friend may want to do breathing exercises to improve his ability to inhale without hurting his lungs. Most often the problem results from trying to take bigger tokes than you need - and then holding it in.

Do the same exercises swimmers do to hold in there breath longer.

The key for easy hooting is to only inhale cool smoke.AND DON'T HOLD IT IN-this does no good. Stopped holding it in years ago - and I still get plenty high.

So, turn the Volcano temp down, then when the bag fills let it cool before inhaling. And inhale from the bottom of your stomach, slowly and consistently. Some people find short quick inhales also works. Or use a long pipe, or a stem on the end of the joint. The further the smoke travels the more it cools.

Unfortunately the only ways are inhale, or ingest. He has stated that he prefers the high of inhaling...

Oh, and I am asthmatic myself.

Last edited:
G

guest 77721

I've made salad oil by mixing finely ground bud with the oil and heating in a double boiler for an hour. This gives me a much brighter high than when I bake. The better the ingredients makes a big difference.

ICMag1

like others said, are you sure that volcano is set to the right temp? 4.5 and its practically like taking a breath of air

If he can't inhale and doesn't want to feel drowsy, probably the best bet is edibles made with sativa weed. If he has a problem storing edibles, there are recipes for weed pills out there, just do some googling

either way the easiest thing is just smoking obviously

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Learn to use the vape right, burn off a bag at 350-365, just expell that bag, it will be smoky. Now do a bag at 375-390 and get stoned with no smoke. THC starts boiling off at about 370 in my vape. The guys telling you to vape lower have figured it out wrong.

Jdubb

I have chronic Asthma too:(

I have chronic Asthma too:(

I agree with JRace 110%.......

1. Stop trying to hold in ANY amount of smoke. (Think back to the 1st time you ever smoked a cigerette) - if I do smoke I usually need a decent amount of cannabis to get me where I want to be, but I always make sure that I make an effort to take really small puffs and never hold in the smoke!

2. Breathing exercises will do wonders for any smoker; Asthma or not.

3. Try experimenting with edibles - Strains, amounts, and cooking methods! In my experience there's a very wide range of potency and sometimes a pretty good amount of science involved in cooking with cannabis.

Whatever your friend decides to do just make sure that he's willing to try just about EVERYTHING out there until he finds something that actually works for HIM and his health limitations.

boroboro

I would do some more work on edibles. My normal use (lately) is ethanol tinctures, AKA "Green Dragon". A 'strong heady high' is certainly not difficult to acheive for me and my recipes.

Perhaps this varies a lot from one person to the next, but I vote tinctures, especially if he has lung problems.

G

guest 77721

I've doing some reading on Glycerine tinctures. It's supposed to be like eating candy and can be made with cold or hot infusion methods.

JRace

Learn to use the vape right, burn off a bag at 350-365, just expell that bag, it will be smoky. Now do a bag at 375-390 and get stoned with no smoke. THC starts boiling off at about 370 in my vape. The guys telling you to vape lower have figured it out wrong.

Turning down the temp is all about delivering a cooler hit.
cooler smoke/vapor=easier hit.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Get a whip style vape, hook it up to a bong, fill it with ice...best way to vape. Cool hits are easier on the lungs.

I have a blue-collar vaporizer, which is a Sears Heavy Duty (multi-use) heat gun $120, used with a Gilligan-produced adapter coupled with a Reynolds turkey roasting bag.

Haven't yet determined the exact temp, at each of the settings, but have found the best narrow range for the THC.

what is the available heating range on the Volcano?

Jones

picture.php

Last edited:
M

mexilandrace

cold air triggers asthma, don't recommend ice hits.

hot water hits through a bong would be better.

I have asthma, have my whole life, vaping is easier on me than other stuff but it all hurts.

tinctures, edibles, or stuff like cannabrex would be an alternative to inhaling things.

Latest posts

Latest posts