What's new

New Grower new budding

gardener60

I have a plant that is starting to bud. Did not know what i had. Male or Female. Turns out female at this point can i take a cutting of the plant to clone or will this hurt the budding cycle.

MickFoster

You can take a cutting to clone and it will not hurt the budding cycle. The growth on the clone after it roots will look funky for a while - the leaves don't resemble cannabis at all.

N

NonDa

I have a plant that is starting to bud. Did not know what i had. Male or Female. Turns out female at this point can i take a cutting of the plant to clone or will this hurt the budding cycle.

Taking a cutting will reduce the size of the plant and may reduce your yield, but a cutting taken from lower branches actually can increase your yield because the plant's energy will be put in the remaining upper branches where all the good light is.

So you won't hurt the budding cycle, just your yield depending on how big and bushy your plants are.

The cuttings will hurt a little, because the optimal time to take cuttings is when the plant is in a full vegetative cycle. Taking cuttings when the plant starts to flower will require more work for the plant to start producing roots, which can reduce your success rate.

Good Luck!

R

Robrites

The clone from a budding plant might take a little longer to grow roots. Watch the water level if you clone in soil...it could rot.

Latest posts

Latest posts