What's new

small grow tent light situation, help needed, total indoor noob.

DodoKing

hello everybody,

since this is my first post on a forum like this and I'm no pro at growing at all (two outdoor grows) I hope you guys can bare with me here
and please instantly tell me if I've done something wrong, I'm here to learn!

so now to my problem:

I'm lookin into getting two tents for my first indoor grow,

one 4x4x6,5ft/120x120x200cm tent for flowering,

and

one 2x2x5ft/60x60x150cm for vegitation,

my question now to anyone who is experienced with it,
that seem to be lots of people here, what lighting situation would suit me the best here?!

for the bigger flower tent I was thinkin one Advanced LED lights DS XTE200 plus a couple 23watt CFL 6500K,
mind you I'm not gonna have more than 4 plants in the flower tent. Is that enough for some decent flower (no crazy yield or somethin) or should I go HPS?!

for the veg tent I was thinkin about maybe two really high powered CFLs with reflector or should I rather invest a little more cash to buy a second LED?!

will I be able to get a decent rotation in with this setup to harvest like one plant every week or am I already thinkin too far?!

budget is kinda tight, so any infos on good equipment with a good price is much appreciated.

I'm sorry for my real basic question and for the super long post, I hope there is someone here that can help me.
I already read some threads but cant seem to find a specific answer...so any linked threads are much appreciated too :D

I already see I'm gonna be reading the crap out of this forum! :)

MicroRoy

You will need to be thinking about fans.

And odor control.

The cfl should do ok for your vet tent. But led would be good too.

Wil you be making your owne clones?Starting from seed?

DodoKing

hey microRoy,

thanks for the reply,

well let's let the fan situation be something I'll think about later, odor control is also not that important since I have barely no neighbours and live on the countryside, the tents will also not be directly IN my house ;D

ok nice, what kind of wattage would you recommend for the CFLs in the veg tent?!

I'll certainly will be starting from seed and then I really wanna try making clones when I get some good females. :)

DodoKing

ok, good to know, are you also running LED and if so, which one?! I totally get lost with all these different manufaturers and diodes and wattages, I also dont have any clue about electricity, so I'm kinda lost :D

MicroRoy

I just use CFL's. They work for me.

I only grow personal. No large output required. Just quality.

If you want to harvest a plant a week.How much weed would you need?

There will be some people here in a while that can tell you more about the LED's.

I might try an LED but for now I am happy with my CFL's.

DodoKing

OK, I see, that sounds like what I'm rooting for, real small grow but good quality to get me over the summer months, it's not really about how much I need, it's more like I fell in love with this hobby and really wanna learn aspects of it, also I have some good space left to do this.

may I ask you what your setup looks like in the light department?! maybe some pictures?! how many plants?!

MicroRoy

I have a cabinet. Like you I dont need to worry about odor.

I have eight 23watt CFL'S. The cabinet is 2ft long 1.5 beep and 3 ft tall.

It has a six inch fan in it and a vent in the top and bottom.

DodoKing

alright, that sounds pretty promising and pretty affordable.

how many plants can you fit in there and how much average yield do get?!
anything over 15g's pp would be the range I'm looking for...

MicroRoy

I have never loaded it. The original plan was to put a plant in every week. But that would be over kill for me.

I just let the clones get good roots. Almost no veg. Then grow them out in cut off gatoraid bottles. Makes about a 20 oz. pot.

I think I hit 15 grams. Not really sure.

DodoKing

nice, really crafty, glad you put me onto those CFLs,
I read a lotta good things,
also bud grown under cfl doenst look bad at all,
I guess the only downside is the lower yield but that wouldnt be a problem for me...

they also fit real good into my budget,
to get a good LED you have to put at least 500bucks on the counter, it seems.

DodoKing

much appreciated, that is some real crazy people growin in PC cases, I didnt know about that, I'm impressed to say the least!

Granger2

Veteran
For a 4x4, 200w of light is about 12.5w per sq ft. Seriously underlit. You'll need a minumum of 40w per sq ft to get buds that aren't scraggly. Good luck. -granger

DodoKing

microRoy - is there a special section on this forum about CFL lights?! I cant seem to find it?! :D

thanks granger, thats good to know :)