What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ongoing problem with wrinkled leaves in veg

Pink

Hey Stitch! My friend has a problem in his grow, and is not much of a poster. I went to visit and took some pictures to see if you could help him out.

The problem is not on every plant, but ever since they have been in this particular spot they get this wrinkly problem in veg.

What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...) Kind of an NFT
What STRAIN are you growing? Many strains...Ogre, green crack, trainwreck, ogs1, etc.....Mostly clones, but the problem does not discriminate.
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) Clones
What is the age of your plants? One week to 2 months
How tall are the plants? 3" to 2 ft
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Early to late veg. The problem seems to work itself out in flower
What Technique are you using? recirculating drip? Is that what you mean?
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.) Coco
What is the Water temperature? 65 F
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy? Healthy white roots
What Nutrient's are you using? How much of each if using multiple? GH 3part..follow directions, add hygrozyme, liquid karma and some fulvic acid

What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using? ppm is about 300 for freshly rooted clones, 500-700 for begining of veg and medium plants, once plants are big they get about 900-1200ppm

What is the pH of the "Tank"? 6.0 ish
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment? yes
When was your last watering? every 8 hours
What is your water temps? 65 f
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional) Change res every two weeks
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? They clean the system often
What size bulb are you using? 4 400 mh
What is the distance to the canopy? 24 " varies a little
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? 65 (he raised this up after reading about low humidity causing wrinkles
What is the canopy temperature? 85
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range) 24 hour lights, not much fluctuation
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 6' inline
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? every plant gets some fan action
Is your water HARD or SOFT? soft
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? tap
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? no
Are plant's infected with pest's ? had mild case of mites, got 10,000 lady bugs and 12.000 praying mantis

Sorry bout the HID lighting, My camera does not do white balance very well

He's gonna try to get me some more pics in the morning, he bought a better camera. Thanks again for taking the time to look.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Kinda hard to see.

Wrinkly deformed leaves is ph problems.

That white stuff might be thrip damage. Is it silvery? Look for tiny little insects like grains of rice. The will run away when disturbed and they are fast and smart. v Look very carefully, both sides.

Pink

Hey pete, thanks for lookin. Thats the funny thing, every time he tests the ph, he is dead on balls accurate for coco. The white is not thrip silvery stuff, My whole krew passed that around last year, we know what that looks like. The white is actually following the veins in the leafs. Until I had actually seen the plants in person, I was telling him it was the ph, until I saw em.

Is he using a humidifier to raise the RH? Or misting the plants with tap water? I do and find that I get mineral deposits on the leaves that look very similar to that.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Good one notjonesin.......

Could be water stains and/or the leaves could be irritated from out of ph foliar spraying....

The thing about misting is it raise humidity and invites molds and mildews, and it causes the root system to get lazy because the plant doesn't need to find moisture through roots if you are giving through spraying.

Except for those that insist on foliar nute spraying, I say there is no call to mist your plants, unless it is for pest management.

If they are misting I would recommend they stop it.

Some well lit pix under white light would help....a tripod and flash would be even better.

Pink

notjonesinNEmor said:
Is he using a humidifier to raise the RH? Or misting the plants with tap water? I do and find that I get mineral deposits on the leaves that look very similar to that.

he was only raising the rh the last week. The problem has been going on over a year. I will say they are very fond of foliar feeding! I'll ask what kind of misting they are doing and see if they are willing to take a break

Pink

Im still waiting on better pics. They have stopped foliar feeding and lowered the rh to 55.

Sorry no pics yet, but thanks for taking an interest

Ploum

Hard to say.
This might be a RH problem, if your RH factor changed a lot during a few days it could lead to this kind of leave issue, that disapear from itself when the plants get taller.
This might also be a tarsonem attack (are you sure there isn't any bugs ?) or plant that are too close to the fan.
Can you post a pic from the whole crop ?

thc43

Veteran
is a tricky one first guess other than PH is not enough N and too much P+K, where the leaves wrinkled before the nute increase? when i have unexplained probs i go back to simple feeding nute and root booster only for a week at around 1.0ec in RO water.

Pink

The whole crop is not affected. Only a few are affected. This has persisted through total shutdown of a crop.

I have the plants now and thought it was some sort of deficiency too, until now. *they were at a different location* This seems to be a totally different animal. The enviornment has changed, and the problem is still there, here's how they are living now.

RH is 50
Feeding PBP 600ppm *on those sized plants*
hard water
tap water
Fans blowing on every plant
PH is 6.0
10 inches away from fluoros
Many differernt strains from lui to ogkush
no foliar feeding
Only chemical used is a NPS strip I change every two months
No bugs
Clean room
nice healthy white roots

G

I had some plants with the wrinkling no white areas though. In my case it was a leaf unfurling defect. Did not look like yours though.

Pink

No calmag, ph runoff is usually 6ish, it varies. My tapwater ppm is 230 Stitch said I need no calmag

thomasyoung

Hello guys i think this is my problem "deformed leaves", and i think the problem is coco, if you use coco, some coco contain tianina, its bad to plants.

you can put some ferts:

-Calcium
-Iron
-(Cu)
-(Mo)
-and enzymas

sorry my inglish :) eheh
Thomas