What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has Anyone bulit an Recirculating DWC system

NzGreenWhanau

Ive read a few posts on here where they give you the build details. But was wondering if they was anyone local. With some info as we dont have a home depot. Lol.

ozzieAI

Veteran
i built one many years ago, but didn't like it. i converted it to a shallow water culture with constant flowing water with much better results and a lot simpler...

i would let the water fall from the growing tray into the reservoir to oxygenate it rather than using airstones which tend to affect ph quite dramatically...

like this without the airstone/pump...just make the nutrient return higher so more water sits in the tray

hydroponics2.png

good luck...

NzGreenWhanau

i built one many years ago, but didn't like it. i converted it to a shallow water culture with constant flowing water with much better results and a lot simpler...

i would let the water fall from the growing tray into the reservoir to oxygenate it rather than using airstones which tend to affect ph quite dramatically...

like this without the airstone/pump...just make the nutrient return higher so more water sits in the tray

View Image

good luck...
Thanks for the idea👍🏾

ozzieAI

Veteran
What do the air stones do to the p.H?

...can't remember whether up or down... just quick wild swings...you can play with air volume rates to reduce the swing but mine worked great without it....

i actually found out after my pump failed and i never replaced it...the water falling back into the res was enough...

NzGreenWhanau

Ive usually used soil as my preferred growing media. On my last grow i Used coco which i found was really good. Unfortunately i didnt have the means to water them as often as i would of liked an with a large volume of water as my grow tent didnt have a container large enough to collect the water. I was using hydroponic nutrients. An had an air stone in the res which kept them from being stagnant. I checked the p.H daily an found the p.H would rise. Is that normal or should it stay at what i had set it at?

G

Old thread,but let me reignite it..wouldnt a waterfarm be a recirculating dwc? I built some years ago and they worked a treat. Which system did you run in the end?

NzGreenWhanau

Lol

Lol

Old thread,but let me reignite it..wouldnt a waterfarm be a recirculating dwc? I built some years ago and they worked a treat. Which system did you run in the end?

Ive been on hiatus for a few months but just kicking off again. Still a pipe dream at the moment

G

To stabilize the ph i found "mineral magic" powder to sort out most of the troubles. It might be hard to get,bit definitly worth the effort. I think i threw one tbsp per waterfarm a week and the ph never gave me a headache again. It settles a bit, so when you change water keep that in mind and clean ot out

NzGreenWhanau

Raising P/h

Raising P/h

To stabilize the ph i found "mineral magic" powder to sort out most of the troubles. It might be hard to get,bit definitly worth the effort. I think i threw one tbsp per waterfarm a week and the ph never gave me a headache again. It settles a bit, so when you change water keep that in mind and clean ot out

Hmm interesting. Ive been trying a few different things with my rez an by not having the airstone on all the time the p/h would atablize a little better. Say for a couple of days instead of one. Im not too sure if recirculating would benefit it or not.

G

My pumps were running 24/7 and since adding a spoon of mineral magic per waterfarm never had a probpem again. I changed the water every week and always added that one spoon .

NzGreenWhanau

Nice

Nice

My pumps were running 24/7 and since adding a spoon of mineral magic per waterfarm never had a probpem again. I changed the water every week and always added that one spoon .

What part of the world are you in. Do uyou have a pic or link for the magic

G

What part of the world are you in. Do uyou have a pic or link for the magic

I put he link up for ya,mate. I'm in oz..so far i havent seen it, but i also didnt look fir it as I'm back soil now. Still..if you find it available somewhere give me a yell :dance: