What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Longtime outdoor grower Sumatran

Mimpi Manis

I'm a longtime grower of a Sumatran strain for past 35 years or so. Have developed into a robust, early harvest moderately potent sativa dominent strain. 2-21/2M. guerilla method. Some phenos come in last two weeks of February. Not a huge smoker but love the plant and the process. Recently taken up vaping and it's a revelation. (Crafty). Clean, efficient and economical. Only way to fly if you care about your lung health.

I am currently experimenting with some US and Europe genetics to bring my potency up and harvest time back. Anyone else out there interested in any of this? Lj.

PS: Would upload some pics if some can tell me how to do it on this clumsy system here.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day LJ

Welcome aboard .

Interesting you say moderately potent . The old heads I have talked with say Sumatran was the most potent of its time . Better than Thai Stick .

Have you smoked contemporary stuff to compare it to ?

Look fwd to hearing more about your experiences .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Mimpi Manis

Its a funny business...

Its a funny business...

Availing accurate potency without good testing tech is a bit tricky. But knowing just how good Thai and those old Sumatran strains were in the day, my subjective view is I may have lost a little potency over the years. Limited time, opportunity and appalling justice system makes comprehensive breeding quite the dangerous occupation in these parts. So some usual breeding subtlties go by the wayside while dealing with all that peripheral shit. Managed to get some classic o/seas strains to try and have to say those folks know their apples. But considering the obstacles just keeping the current Sumatran going, it aint too bad at all. I dont doubt three crops a year with a 100 phenos to choose from would nail things down a bit better. Not a luxury I had. But this litttle beauty has other strengths: Good healthy vigourous habit, not too large and terrific early outdoor harvest. Can't tell you how handy that is! I want all those traits with a bit more kick. Thats what I'll be playing with next. It's a slow process... but a female plant in full flower is powerful incentive.

Mimpi Manis

Some pics of Ms Sumatra here:
album.php

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day LJ

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

right click on your pick - select copy image address from the menu , Return to your post - click the yellow icon 2nd from the right above the post - right click - select paste - then OK it will be embedded in your post .

They look chunky !

Thanks for sharin

EB .

T

Teddybrae

PS: Would upload some pics if some can tell me how to do it on this clumsy system here.

Here we go ...

Lived in WA a few many years ago and there was Sumatran gear getting around. Yes it was more powerful/complex than Thai sticks. Rarer tho!

Upload yr pics to yr Albums.

Once uploaded, open pic you want to post and you will see "BBCode" under yr pic. before you right click on "BB Code" open Icmag in another tab. Go to your post in second tab.

When you have right clicked "BB Code" in first tab then paste into yr post in second tab. posted pic will come out full size ...

cheers! (altho I 'm somewhat unsettled by your Username ... )

Last edited:
W

Water-

Has anybody read the book:

"William Dampier, Pirate of Exquisite Mind."

He was a brilliant naturalist like Charles Darwin but used piracy as a means of travel, because he had no funding for his research.

great book and awesome person!

He writes about the crew encountering Ganja in Banda Aceh, Sumatra and how they all indulge and have different reactions.
Sounds like it was strong stuff.

this was the late 1600's

gatts

Great work mate, I'd gladly take some beans off your hands to help preserve the strain...pm me if you want to trade as long as that does not infringe the TOS of the forum.

Night4wings20

Any updates on these plants/genetics? Interesting to read about, first time seeing anything about Indonesian Landraces, very cool

Mimpi Manis

A sudden surge of interest out of the blue. A range of of inquiries - what in particular would you guys like to know that I haven't already covered? Am doing a small run of a pheno's I call 'Hairy' which seem to most resemble the sativa characteristics I like. Anyone know the trick to getting pics onto these pages? I can get them into my album... but that's about it. Anyone know the procedure? Lj

gatts

LJ, thanks for coming back to this thread. Those ladies look amazing.

Any new pics of Hairy Sam!

Are you still thinking of a cross? What are your ideas?

Mimpi Manis

Here's an update on my Sumatran. These are a couple from a friends grow. First time would you believe? Absolutely stellar job. Full sun situation sure is a boon. Have included a few pics. Tried to post previously and the post disappeared. Have not got my head around the pic posting procedure yet either. Best I've been able to do is link to the album.

I've worked this strain around 40 years now. Original seeds were from Sumatran landrace acquired in early 80's. I've worked this line into a resilient, short flowering strain I can harvest here in late Feb. These were grown by friends to perfection in full sun. Something I don't have the luxury of with guerrilla style limitations in these parts.

Second pic of purple flower pheno is sans the two huge top colas. A little grey mould broke out in the very fat buds so they were harvested. None in the other plant. (So there's a few desirable traits to underline already!) I used a purple flower strain I saw growing at another friends to make the #2 purple pheno/cross. This second version has more obvious indica traits than the the more sativa like first version.

#1 (green) has more typical NLD traits with a more obvious sativa like leaf structure. Has more pointed colas as well.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82482&pictureid=2012689
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82482&pictureid=2012691
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82482&pictureid=2012690
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82482&pictureid=2012693
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82482&pictureid=2012692
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82482&pictureid=2012694