What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Storage Methods : Longest Viability/Shelflife

BlackJungle

Hello everybody.

I have a good sized collection of seeds that I have been holding on to since my mid teens, as I have an utter fascination for genetics and strain geneology. I intend to keep most of these stored until perfect breeding conditions become available. This could be years, as I want breeding conditions absolutely perfect, so strains of rare or heirloom hertiage can be propperly bred and stored again. I have specifically designed my storage space to hover around 65 - 70F at all times, all varieties are stored in airtight containers, kept in complete darkness, and the setup is waterproofed. Just incase the desert I live in decides to give us a real soak.

However, through the years of growing various plants of different species and working with hundreds of different seeds, its apparent that every grower stores and cares for his seeds differently.
So heres what I want to know:
What do you do?
Why?

Does anyone know any extreme cannabis seed storage technique? (25+ years)
And does anyone here have any stories on the oldest seed they have ever seen sprouted?

General seed life, viability, storage and miracle germination thread.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=286734 The colder you keep them the longer they last. Freezing can be a problem though. You can not let them thaw and refreeze and the seeds have to be quite dry when you freeze them. In a frost free freezer you could keep them in a container that would not thaw, like filled with ice or whatever.

I would try to get your temps down by means of a fridge at least or buried deep. I think at 70 degrees they could be good for many years though. Have read of using iron powder.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/...e/oxygen-absorbers-and-long-term-food-storage

corky1968

Veteran
I think if you could replace the air while sealing them with dry nitrogen gas or
possibly argon gas they would last very long if they stored properly afterward.

S

sourpuss

Im curious how dry a seed can get before it dies... is there a point it will be too dry or is that not possible???

U can repeatedly freeze seeds without harm... nature does it a lot. I worry about it getting too dry in freezer...

dufous

From Wikipedia:
the Food and Agriculture division of the United Nations and a consultancy group called Bioversity International developed a set of standards for international seed banks[1] to preserve seed longevity. The document advocates drying seeds to about 20% relative humidity, sealing seeds in high quality moisture-proof containers, and storing seeds at -20 degrees Celsius

BlackJungle

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=286734 The colder you keep them the longer they last. Freezing can be a problem though. You can not let them thaw and refreeze and the seeds have to be quite dry when you freeze them. In a frost free freezer you could keep them in a container that would not thaw, like filled with ice or whatever.

I would try to get your temps down by means of a fridge at least or buried deep. I think at 70 degrees they could be good for many years though. Have read of using iron powder.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/...e/oxygen-absorbers-and-long-term-food-storage

A few people ive talked to have reported frozen seeds lasting longer than 20 years. I dont freeze them for that reason; Once you freeze them, you cant take them back out. Ive always wondered how that would play out if you had a week long power outage, and then you remember the rare beans you have been saving since 98' were in there..

Besides, I enjoy my fridge space.

Im curious how dry a seed can get before it dies... is there a point it will be too dry or is that not possible???

U can repeatedly freeze seeds without harm... nature does it a lot. I worry about it getting too dry in freezer...

I personally wouldnt freeze and re-freeze. A number of folks ive talked to said that this makes them weaker, or in the end they just dont germinate. It may be fine if you plan to sow the coming spring, but getting unfrozen a few times in the span of 10 -20 years has a good chance to damage the embryo. The freeze dried seed possibility is a little scary too.

Another thing ive noticed about freezing, is that if you ever take your bags, vials, whatever you stored the seed in, out of the freezer, a good coat of condensation covers the seed container. May not Necessarily be bad, but if it somehow finds a way inside, theyre toast.

I think if you could replace the air while sealing them with dry nitrogen gas or
possibly argon gas they would last very long if they stored properly afterward.
I would love to try this. Also still experimenting with storage methods. Currently Im using plastic ziplocks, old childproof containers, and a few of those wax containers. I always eyeball the glass vials at the army navy surplus, but have yet to buy a flat of them. I would think the glass is colder, keeping seeds more chilled? Maybe it has high and low fluctuations in temperature going through the seasons, sitting in the dark corner in the back of my closet...

brown_thumb

Take what I write with a grain of salt because I'm only parroting what I read on the internet. From what I've read, the most foolproof method follows...

The few seeds I have are sealed in airtight plastic bags inside a bubble wrap envelope to moderate their temperature and stored in my refrigerator at approximately 36F (2C). From what I've read, minimizing oxygen helps preserve seeds but 'completely' removing oxygen suffocates them. However, there is evidence to the contrary. So... I ride the fence.

5Decades

Take what I write with a grain of salt because I'm only parroting what I read on the internet. From what I've read, the most foolproof method follows...

The few seeds I have are sealed in airtight plastic bags inside a bubble wrap envelope to moderate their temperature and stored in my refrigerator at approximately 36F (2C). From what I've read, minimizing oxygen helps preserve seeds but 'completely' removing oxygen suffocates them. However, there is evidence to the contrary. So... I ride the fence.

Hey hey
any idea of taking them in and out of a fridge is bad? ( i have had bad experience freezing them)

romanoweed

Does it actually matter , if you open a Jar when its super rainy Weather and lots of Air moisture?
Does Moisture collect fast at your Desiccant? Like in secounds?`
I sometimes open the jar for 2 Minutes in wet Weather…