What's new

Growing large sativas :Eldorado and Full Moon

Woz_from_Oz

I want to have a go at growing 2 sativas Eldorado and Full Moon, both have reputations for growing big.

My growing area is small - 1sq metre. I use 9 Vero29 leds for lighting and grow in coco. I use SCROG or LST methods

I've done a bit of reading on this. Motaco in his "Revival of the ultimate sativa" recommends restricting root growth. He uses extremely small pots but he is mainly after seeds.

Another recommendation is to take a clone from the mother plant. As soon as it roots put it into 12/12

Summer is coming fast and it promises to be hot and humid just like home to these girls. Any Advice would be most welcome :thank you:

raven44

I flower my sativas at around 16" in 15 gal pots. But that is very circumstantial. They finish at a height of 6' or so

If it's a clone and I have the ceiling space I'll probably do 20" and expect a 6.5' plant from bottom of pot to top of plant maybe taller. So really about 5 foot of plant...

If it's a seed plant I will flower a lil sooner/shorter.

Woz_from_Oz

Yes I plan to start out with a 1 gal. pot and maybe move up to a larger pot when flowering gets underway. From what I have read though it seems the Full Moon continues to grow during flowering.

Wolfshadoe

Not sure on square ft . but from what I'm understanding you growing sativa in a small space.You can def get your plant thicker by takin that first cut ASAP..I would assume by flower as soon as roots show is because#1.They grow so quick and continue to produce
roots while flowering,This slows down how tall the plant will get,but also produces smaller flowers.Rule of thumb:The roots DETERMIN the size of your buds.
#2.Putting that first cut into flower will give you a early heads up on what ya got for a finished product....That is if you have a flower room..Sounds like you are very limited on your grow area...Do you have anywhere outdoors you can place a plant here and there?
you would be surprised how easy and well a plant will do if left to grow.Plus I have some tips for you if so.Would be glad to share. No matter your situation,there is plenty of top knotch growers here at IC in every field as you see will step right up and help..
Greetings from the sunshine state!!! Peace<ws>

corky1968

Veteran
Wait until 3-5 weeks into flowering before you transplant.

Most plants will have stopped stretching a lot by then.

raven44

You can easily get a 4' plant in a gallon pot.

Ya, and?? Missing the point what ur saying isn't even saying anything it's too.circumstantial

Means nothing

I wouldn't transplant in flower personally. Imo u need to have em in the pot they will be finished in before they go to flower..I pop em into 15 gals then wait one week and flower

Woz_from_Oz

Thanks for your reply Wolfshadoe. I'm growing in a 9sq ft tent (1 sq metre). I've been playing around with cutting at the 5th node and pinning down the resultant branch that grows out as well as the fourth branch to give me a N-S E-W configuration. It works well for me. Currently I'm growing Nebula, Trainwreck, Peak19 and Tangixghost train in 13-15 litre pots which are about my physical limit (unfortunately I can't work out how to upload a pic). I want to use that method here too. However Full Moon and Eldorado are big long flowering bastards. Even as a 3 day old seedling the moon is racing ahead! She will definitely go in a small pot so I don't know how it will grow.
I've had to grow a couple of Chocolate Diesels outside and they really love it. But as I'm overlooked by apartments its a bit dangerous and I'd (+wife) would prefer I didn't do it. The plants really soak it up.

Woz_from_Oz

I read your link Corky. There is good practical info there along the lines of Macoto mentioned earlier. the small pots seem to be the way to go and thats what I'll try. Many thanks.

Woz_from_Oz

I worked it out:
ed19d91cb02ac9fa7e53a783e813ef33_1677697.jpg