What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mite Eradictor (also destroys Powdery Mildew)

badboyg

i have converted (temp like) to the toxains... looks like i need to ponny up and get some. any one have good links to a cheap source..

cause I still have the BORG... they have gotten agressive.. they are SOO bad.. I poped a few seeds,, and within days of the first set of leaves.. COVERED.. CRAP... my poor clones and seedling,, they are looking beat,,,,,..

OK all links pls I need to kill this,, due to the borg I now will be meds free for 6-8 weeks,,, man i hate migrains SHIT!!

emkman

burn help

burn help

I mixed up some of the mite eradicator solution, but I forgot to dilute with water before spraying one of my plants(dumb i know, i ate too many ganja cookies that day) the plant has been burned by the concentrated spray pretty badly. is there anything I can do to help restore it? Will superthrive help, or maybe advanced nutrients Revive?

G

emkman said:
I mixed up some of the mite eradicator solution, but I forgot to dilute with water before spraying one of my plants(dumb i know, i ate too many ganja cookies that day) the plant has been burned by the concentrated spray pretty badly. is there anything I can do to help restore it? Will superthrive help, or maybe advanced nutrients Revive?
Your guess is as good as ours, are you hydro or soil. What stage was the plant in. If soil and in veg it might be possible to shower it good with tapwater and flush the pot well, then try superthrive. From the sound of it the plant is too far gone to fully recover, I've saved strains by turning the plant into cuttings and pop them into the cloner. That works if the leaves are still functional, if it's burned and deformed badly I doubt anything can be done other than wait for nature to take its' course.....

Good luck.

somoz

Veteran
hey rosy, did you find that Bayer at a local garden store, intranet, etc.....Just did a search for it and only found it at the electronic-bay

and at 269 for 8oz this shniz better work.......that's crazy pricey but at the same time i guess there's no such thing as a price when it comes to mites.........i have a bad case right now as well

emkman

1toke: its vegging in soil, heres a pic from my camera phone

it doesnt look dead,just wounded. I have been spraying with water since.

rosy, somoz: forbid 4f looks very interesting to me. I found some academic papers suggesting it was very effective. However, besides being very expensive, iits intended for use on ornamentals only. Also, at the bayer cropscience website, it is no longer listed as a product. instead the insecticide listed with same ingredient(Spiromesifen) is called Oberon. It is also listed as fruit and vegetable safe. I wonder if anyone has seen this stuff? Also, a local hydro store owner told me about a new product called Azutrol, i believe. Its a concentrate of Azadirachtin, the active ingredient in Neem oil. He says people are raving about it. one spray at 2 weeks, one at 4 weeks and no bugs at all. Im definitely gonna explore different options when I have the time and money.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Hey somoz and emkman. I don't want to steal the show with the Forbid 4F, this is the Mite Eradicator thread after all. If you can fend off the mites by natural means then I'm all for it.
I bought the Forbid 4F in a small bottle in a garden depot, the price wasn't that irreasonable. I'm used to paying outageous prices for biological pesticides, it's not like they come any cheaper because they are all natural. Rather the contrary.

As to the toxicity of Forbid 4F, it's toxicity rating is CAUTIOUS (toxicity is measured by the lethal dose or LD 50 of a pesticide. LD50 is expressed as milligrams (mg) of the pesticide's active ingredient per kilogram (kg) of body weight based on the dose that kills 50 percent of the test animals - normally rodents - in laboratory conditions). Compare that to Avid (often used by Mj growers in the US), which has the toxicity rating WARNING, one step higher.
It probably shouldn't be used on food crops. It is not systemic (it does not move through the plant’s vascular system), but the translaminar quality (the active substance, spiromefisen, travels through the leaf and target pests on the bottom side of the leaf) means it penetrates the plant to one degree or another (while some more toxic products such as Dicofol stays on the surface, can be washed off, and is therfore suitable for food crops). Forbid also has long residual activity, it degrades slowly.
Therefore, Forbid should be used only on vegetating plants. Let's say you have an infested vegroom. Strip your motherplants of a maximum of foliage. Treat the plants with miticide. When you're sure that your plants are free of mites (3-4 weeks), take clones from the new untreated growth, and raise the clones to become new motherplants. Clone your mothers for your next grow, the prescence of miticides in those clones should be minimal or non-existant.
Oberon is probably a generic product emkman, and sometimes those generics have different names in different countries, so perhaps Bayer 4F is around, but under another name. When I last bought Dicofol, I had two different products to choose between. They had exactly the same ingredients, both came in 240 ml bottles of the same shape and had exactly the same price... but two different names. The original manufacturer sold the same generic licence to both brands.

R

Ronley

I use the hottest chilli peppers that I can find. Fresh green or red ones.

Blend 5 of them with about 2-3 cups of water. Strain and spray this onto the leaves or buds. Usually the plant needs about 5 or so treatments, but it definitely gets rid of the mite.
It does no harm to the plant, buds, or even seedlings or the soil.

Care must be taken to use gloves and not to get it on your skin and definitely not in your eyes.

Its the simplest safest guranteed, easiest cleanest method (as long as you dont get on your skin or into your eyes)

somoz

Veteran
Haha ronely: i've worked in the food industry before and have had to wip up some bloody mary mix......nothing like rubbing your eyes 10 minutes later and sittin in the walkin all morning cause your face is on fire!!! thanks for your tips.....

Hey, 1toke, i wipped up a batch at a 1/4 strength but think i'm gonna do another at full strength and see what happens..........i think it should work just wanted to get the low down on the product.

Thanks for the takin the time to post that Rosy, So basically it should be used for veg and veg only due to its long lasting effect......sounds very interesting but not too many garden shops around here and none of them carried it, i'm sure it will be around sooner than later........

thanks for all the answers my mite comrade's

moz

G

:chin: Rosey - this thread is really about the War on the Borgs and the Mix is offered as a weapon, any information is valuable to any reading the thread from the trenches. The community welcomes all valid confirmed information we can use to form our own evaluations. My only concern about any chemical aside from the obvious health concerns is the amazing capability of the borgs to form immunities to them, which they can't do for naturally formed and available options like the Mix.

Ronley - I experimented for a year with hot peppers and other mixes, and only damaged the plants more than the borgs. In defense of the pepper mix tho, I wasn't careful with containers I used and plastics may have adversly affected the final mix and application. I used super hots from the neighbor's outdoor garden and the spray burned your skin if you got close to it. Most of my strains went into shock but all recovered after rinsing and flushing.

Good luck somoz Death to the Borg!!!

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I got rid of them 1toke, it has been over a month now and the Borgs are gone (the damn fruit flies survived though). My young Sensi Star plants have totally unscarred leaves, I haven't seen that in a while. But you're right that the mites build a resistance to toxines after a while. The more the reason to wipe them out in one strike.

G

:wave: Lookin mighty fine there, Rosey! Death to the Borgs!!! :wave:

Now where did I put that Darth Vader hat.... :woohoo:

G

:chin: At 5 weeks, I'd try orange peels in the blender first. But, if it's a full blown infection threatening death before it can finish I guess I'd give it a shot.

As I posted, I had no problems during flower and the plants finished fine.

Whatever you do, try it on one plant first, don't take chances with your whole harvest. If it works, you only lost a couple of days, not a whole grow.

Good luck.

Lofty

Hey rosey cheeks i'm just making that solution up now, that pic has really giv me the horn for it, i cant remember seeing my plants like that for the last 3 years.

thanx to all that helped on this tread and other threads. :wave:

darrinjefferson

1toke- could neem oil be used with this mixture? either in the same mixture or maybe after i spray the mixture..wipe it off, then spray them with the neem oil?
also..how often should i use this treatment. i have read to use neem oil 3 times a day. thoughts?

thanks for the help.
im going to try this method in just a few hours i hope.

late

Last edited:

Lofty

i have partial access to a photograpic microscope, i'm thinking it mite b good to take som pics of the borg at work and then zap them with som of the suggested mixtures and products, i cud then take a pic every 5 mins and c wat it does to the eggs and adults. wat do all think? is it worth having a go at?

G

darrinjefferson said:
1toke- could neem oil be used with this mixture? either in the same mixture or maybe after i spray the mixture..wipe it off, then spray them with the neem oil?
also..how often should i use this treatment. i have read to use neem oil 3 times a day. thoughts?

thanks for the help.
im going to try this method in just a few hours i hope.

late
Neem would be a good preventative, I know of those that use it just for that protection, but IMO something needs to be tweaked in your environment if they keep returning.

I prepared a batch of the Eradicator which filled a 2-litre pop bottle, then mixed it with another 2-litres of plain tap water, giving me 4-litres of mix to spray. After the first treatment I increased the dishsoap to about 1/4 tsp and an extra squirt of lemon juice. When I checked fanleaves the next day with the USB dopescope at 200x it was hard to find anything moving, but I did find some that were missed, and retreated that evening. The third day I couldn't find anything moving on the samples I took, but I waited another day and checked again just to be sure. I still wasn't convinced that all the eggs were gone so I treated again on the 4th day. That means after the original tratement, I did it again the 2nd day, waited the 3rd, and misted again on the 4th. I didn't drench the plants, just misted top and undersides, then misted heavily with fresh water about 5-10 minutes later - when I drenched the plants I noticed the new growth shriveling so I rinsed and diluted with additional tweaks I mentioned and re-applied, shying away from new growth and nugs. I repeated the whole treatment about 2 weeks later even tho no signs of hatching eggs were evident.

All 4 cabinets have been mite-free since, and I concentrated on Powdery Mildew as the summer humidity and heat set in, with a shot of Half & Half coffee creamer per misting bottle of warm water. Now all I keep handy is the PM mix but I keep the ingredients for the Eradicator handy just in case.

The yeild turned out normal but took about 3 weeks longer, I'm assuming because of the stress. I should point out that I treated the day after I fed them to reduce risk of the plant taking in the mix - they had a full belly when they got their showers.

Hope that helps - GL & keep us posted.

See ya inchat.............. :woohoo:

Last edited:
I will be trying your mix ASAP! Do you have any specific vinegar brand names? Will Arm and Hammer baking soda work?
I have a decent mite problem that went unoticed, by my partner in training they are Lowryders and they are fairly sensitive to foliar sprays so we will see how they fare!
When I had a larger grow I was allways fighting mites ALLWAYS!! I tried malathaion(or whatever it is) Neem
Then I got SM90 worked fairly well but not as well as I needed, I combined SM90 with some wallmart Anti transperency sealer to the plants and it worked great!
The mix needed to be applied @ the first and 2nd transplant @ 2 and 4 weeks then 1 more spraying 2 weeks into flower.

G

:wave: Apple Cider Vinegar. Any apple orchard, cider mill, or large chain grocery store.

I used Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

Chemicals can do no good to anything IMO, just one more thing to worry about. The best prevention is a clean grow and the kind of weather the Borgs hate. One of my flower closets needs active intake and exhaust fans running all night, even with lights off. Try to find the right combination that discourages mites and dial that in, or you will always be battling them.

If nothing more can be done about the environment and they are still a problem the mix is natural (no chance of immunity) and cheap, so keeping a few litres around won't break the bank - at least you don't pay high prices for something that didn't work. Not to mention running around trying to find another chemical treatment beause now they are immune to the last one.

Good luck on your war against the Borgs. :dueling:

See ya in chat............ :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts