What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pirate's DIY Sulfur Burner for Dummies

J

Joe Budden

Thanks for sharing love DIY threads, really helpful for the whole cannabis community

S

scarred4life

Nice work, Macgyver...uuh I mean Pirate.

I shelled out the cash for the manufactured burner a while ago cause a burner's indispensable.

notahugger

This made my day

This made my day

This is awesome, I just lost some fat buds to botriytis(sp?). I can't wait to build this, beats the hell out of shelling out $150.

Thanks for posting this Pirate, DIY is the way to go for sure.

jordas

Pirate thanks for the great info!
I was just looking at my local grow store but
put it off after seeing the expensive price.

It seems that you could use a 100w ceramic reptile heater
instead of the spot light as this is what the expensive
units apparently use. The reptile heater is around $25
but I am sure the spot light is much cheaper.

I will start rounding up the parts to make one of these myself.
Thanks again!

Hazelnuts

This is a great tutorial, I've had problems with pests (scale, not sure if it would work on that as well, maybe you can shed some light on that?) in the past, I lost a mother plant to them but I was able to take some cuttings before I had to put it down, so I got kinda lucky. If I'd had this nifty thing, it probably wouldn't have happened

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Where can you buy the elemental sulphur ?

Nevermind Researched as Sulfur and found it.
Tks for the Tutorial

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
okay i just built one, it cost about $70 but thats the materials.
Instead of coffee cans i bought paint cans.
I had to buy the Hole Saw it was $20.00 alone.

Anyways
They only had an 85 watt green flat flood light, might not work,if not i will go to a different hardware store tomorrow.

Couple questions, Do you turn all the fans off ?

Do you hang it low to the ground so the vapors rise, Middle of the room, or up above the plants canopy level ?

Thanks
Take care

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
okay i just built one, it cost about $70 but thats the materials.
Instead of coffee cans i bought paint cans.
I had to buy the Hole Saw it was $20.00 alone.

Anyways
They only had an 85 watt green flat flood light, might not work,if not i will go to a different hardware store tomorrow.

Couple questions, Do you turn all the fans off ?

Do you hang it low to the ground so the vapors rise, Middle of the room, or up above the plants canopy level ?

Thanks
Take care
85 watts will work. Play with the space between the lamp and the burner can. You might have to place the burner can right on top of the lamp. But that is fine.

1) I burn my sulfur as soon as lights go out. (leaves will still be raised.....not drooping in sleep mode)
2) Shut off all ventilation / AC / Heaters / Fans......everything.
3) If you have OPEN rezes.......cover em with some plastic or a bag or wood or ??? Sulfur will raise your PH by alot if it gets into the rez.
4) Hang the burner approx. 2 to 3 feet above the canopy.
5) My room is 7 x 10 and I burn it for 2 or so hours. (I have burned for 3 hours with no ill effects.
6) After the burn.........let the sulfur sit until an hour or so before lights come on.
7) Ventilate before spending time in the room.

8) DO NOT BREATH BURNING SULFUR VAPORS !!

Hope that helps.

If you can........Post some photos of your DIY Burner.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Last night i ran it for about an hour and the the sulfur melted into an oil but didnt smoke or vapor.

So i adjusted the bulb to rest on the lamp itself (85 watts)
If that doesnt work i will search for a 100 watt bulb here are some pics.

This hole made me angry.
i bought a Holesaw for cutting metal and it wouldnt cut a hole as you can see the hole here is messed up here

Last edited:

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Okay im running the entire basement smells like lit matches BAD!!

But i don't see vapors or smoke ?

grow1620

whoa...matches...would a few matches work for a micro grow?..lights out..1-2 square feet, sealed...is that the right kinda sulfur? Not just lighting the matches, but making a mini vaporizer....maybe use some kinda tiny incandescent bulb..maybe one from an old flashlight could get a tiny container of sulfur up to temp, older bulbs are less efficient which means they'll put out more heat..but could matchheads be used as a sort of ghetto substitute? Hell matches are free at tons of places. :O

if not are there any cheep alternatives to the pack of sulfur you got...anything ppl could improvise with if there's none available?

thank you for taking the time to do this tutorial! I'm sure you've been a huge help to alot of ppl. :)

- @ Centrum .. damn one little word you typed set me off thinking about this fer like 15 minutes :p funny how we affect ppl eh?

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
FYI Sulfur doesn't kill PM spores. It simply coats everything with a high pH so the spores won't germinate. It's mos def the best method of attacking PM IMO. Great thread. Hope everyone's battling it out and ready to win the war.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Great job! Excellent to share ths - I need one, I'm getting sick of the spray!

TGT