What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How does one not suck at curing?

candyjack

I usually let my plants hang/ dry with all water leaf and most sugar trim off for 2-3 days then let them sit out, once stem is clipped for 2 days or more then jar, but it seems this last run like my past I can get a good cure out of teh buds. They will look dank but have no smell other than a " hay like" smell. Where did I go wrong or how can I improve or do I just need to burp and wait a month?

bushed

I find I get best results by leaving the whole plant hanging for around 2-3 weeks in a dark cupboard, with a dehumidifier running at the other side of the room in rainy season.

The buds will feel very dry yet be sticky when squashed, there will be no hay smell low odor buds will have very sweet smell and anything loud will stink out the room as soon as you open the jar.

Apache Kush

read the threads on curing here but yeah you need to get a hyGrometer and know what humidity your dealing with. If your buds drop below say 55% hummidity, its too late, thats drying out to fast and will taste like cholorfil or ''hay'' also yeah wait a month and you have better flavor to s

''simons '' A perfect cure ever time thread :

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237 read this

buy hyGrometers

Last edited:

vostok

Veteran
HAY....? Hey its still de-composing !!!!
but for some class look to a 3-4 day water cure, as it removes the worst of the green/chlorophyll only to give you the real taste!

candyjack

thank you for all the replies, i wil let them air dry a bit longer then and look into getting a meter to test the RH, where is the best place to get one?

Apache Kush

The guys on the simon thread said you can order online like on Amazon...

However, if thats not possible go to your local cigar shop and pick up one.Maybe find one at a smoke shop too depends..
* but cigar shops always have them

I'd go digtal if you can afford that but there are cheaper ones for under and around $20...

good luck really read that thread I posted... lots of reading but it wil answer your questions

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I hang for 3-4 days trimmed, then remove from stalks, and put in brown paper bag for 2-4 days until stems snap. Then jar and burp jars daily until they are not remoistening. Then seal for storage.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
you'l get many different opinions from different growers your best bet is trial and error.....but i usually dry my plants (whole plant minus the leafs) for about 5 days then remove the buds from the stock . place them in a Glass mason jar with a rubber gasket overnight in a cubbord or somewhere it is dark and cool (not cold but cool) then the next morning i leave the jars open or depending on the moisture level i might take the buds out of the jar/jars to air dry for a hour or 2 then place them back in the mason jars for a few hours and repeat the process as needed.. that usually works out for me.....hope this helps

DemonTrich

Veteran
I use one of these in each of my 42 1/2 gallon mason jars for curing.

put one in the bottom, facing out the bottom to easily see, fill up jar about 3/4 the way, NOT stuffed, as you want movement and air circulation. I trim mine fresh from the plant, then let them dry for 3-5 days in 4x 4 level, 4' dry nets. wait until buds get a bit crispy on the outside, then in the jars and sealed up in a dark place. 24hrs later I check r/h. dump back out if 70% or over, if under burp for 1-2 hrs a day for a week, until r/h is stable at 60% or under. then I toss in 1x broveda 62% pack for 1 month. then add another pack to each jar.

always perfect cured buds each and every time. been using this tek for 4 years now and NEVER had any modly/mildew/hay smelling buds.

Attachments

• curing medical mj.jpg
    curing medical mj.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
S

sourpuss

Boveda... wrap in paper towel and throw In the jar. Thats after you dried and trimmed the nugs. Dried to the point of crispy outside and wet inside. Sweat. Air dry till crispy again on the outside. Jar with boveda. Quick burps every couple days, usually its your grabbin joints here and there thats enough for burps.... :good:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By far the most useful info I've found on IC to date. I have 1 yr old buds that look, smell, and taste absolutely perfect. PERFECT! And easy as hell. Much easier than the many methods I tried over the years. And with other methods, even when I had the cure right, the buds changed drastically over time. Not with this method. Chop it, bag it and forget about it. A gorilla can do it.

Good luck whatever you do..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I rough trim all large leaves and hang whole plant (72*F / RH = 65%) for 10 days, no fans... buddage then goes into brown paper bags for ??? whatever.
GD bottles were a PITA. I kinda like the freezer method though..

Freyr

used to use ball jars………………...(what a pain in the ass).

now I use the 17L Mega C-vaults with 3x Boveda packs in each for a proper cure every time.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
my train is coming into the station.. I will offer up a few branches to the ice gods.. 4 days and into the freezer.. i've done some crazy sounding stuff (water curing) that turns out good (not the water curing).. just put a bud (2 gram) into the freezer, right off the plant.. I'll be back in 10-12 days..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Freezer method will take forever fresh off the plant...

yes, that is why I mentioned it... with my 10 day method, at 4 days, its still pretty wet anyway.

right now, I have the time to experiment... lets see.. maybe it will go 15 or 20 days and good. if its better and the process becomes easier but longer.. oh well. guess if I were commercial, it would matter... if its good, I'll buy a frost free freezer... and that will free up a little more space in the GR used for drying, cause the freezer would go in the garage..

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just like any other method, if you don't do the freezer method properly, you are wasting your time (and bud). Fresh of the plant, or 4 days, is not what was recommended.

:tiphat:

Snype

Veteran
First I hang the buds:
picture.php

Then they get the paper bags for the sweat:
picture.php

Then I like to cure in big jars:
picture.php

Those jars fit 2-3 pounds depending on density.