What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flashlights, what do you have?

ion

headlamps.......multiples......2 in car, 1 in backpack, 3-4 in the house. cant have too many. get the petzls, ;ast forever. oh, and get a few with interchangeable color lenses and red light. i walk around the house with a headlamp on most the time. for self defense i recommend baseball bats around every door and a roll of $10quarters in your pocket.....flashlight as a bludgeon is so old school, what if you break it over someone's melon? yer out a light!

growingcrazy

Being in an annual hurricane magnet zone and losing 2 houses to the damn things, I've learned none of the damn things last long especially when exposed to high humidity so I've learned to buy a lot of cheap ones that fit into my pocket especially. Lots of batteries ( chargers don't help when the electricity is gone )

Battery powered lamps for the house plus the light sticks in every room.

And something extra special for the mofo who thinks this place is low hanging fruit and tries to enter :tiphat:

( which has also happened but the home team prevailed no problemo' )

But I DO like those high power lights and may get me one

Sounds to me like you need a small portable solar charging station... Batteries are only a temporary power source. 10+ days without power and solar is key

7thson

f58fea498078eb967bd2de5158cfca46--tera-patrick-patrick-obrian.jpg
U could even rent it out during long stays.Years ago it was magazines,i guess times have changed.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just recently I was considering getting a new flashlight/torch, because occasionally I might find myself in a place where it is needed, and also it can act as a form of self defense. If shone into the eyes of an assailant, it can take up to 3 minutes for them to recover proper eyesight. (as claimed)

They are very handy things to have about in case of an electricity outage too.

So far the best one I have come across is this Taclight 1100 due to its power, and it looks fairly cheap at $45.

https://buytaclight.com/e9da1d289a7e321cc179c51c0c526a73/?source=buytaclight&sub=geo&sub3=Twickenham

What do you guys/gals think? Can I get a better/more powerful one at a cheaper price?

yes indeed, I found one that has true 6000K brilliance, focus's from flood to tight spot; 3 power levels 100/50/10% and has the strobe to disorient as well as the s-o-s setting. In the states it's $12.99 for the flashlight, 2 special 3.7V batteries (18650 battery ~ the light takes only 1 so you have a spare) & the dual battery charger; or $8.19 for the flashlight only if you'd happen to have those unique batteries & charger. I've been using these same batteries in other lights & they've been recharging for me for years, no issues.

Actually quite small so if you were to hit someone (& I know you know how to do that!) with it you'd likely want it clutched tightly in hand & a downward blow; but I believe I'm getting ahead of myself ;)

It's on Amazon this is the link to it, you'd probably find the same light on Amazon.UK :good:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hatori-100...=1507861295&sr=1-4&keywords=hatori+flashlight

I've built up this light considerably, I own two for myself & have gifted 2 more to 2 friends, they both rave on the quality, brilliance, easy zoom etc.

That Taclight looks to be a few cliks better than this one Gypsy, but for the cheap price it's worth the risk to see if you're satisfied.

I've been using similar flashlights for yrs, the same led technology & the same 18650 rechargeable batteries, never a failed battery or light, I own 5 of the older styled lights that I've placed here & there for convenience.

EGFuEgs.jpg

EDIT:
If you're gonna look on Amazon for this light you'll likely find the Taclight & many others that are perhaps the exact same as the Taclight for less $$. fyi, people w/the know how latch onto a great light like these, get the manufacturer to etch their product name onto it & then they market it as if it was their own patented product.

One commercial here even showed a flashlight frozen into a block of ice still working. Last yr I found one of my 5 lights (I knew it was missing) buried in the snow/ice in my driveway (gone for over a week), run over by me dozens of times; I kicked it out of the compressed snow, hit the switch & it lit w/o any issue.

Last edited:

Green Squall

yes indeed, I found one that has true 6000K brilliance, focus's from flood to tight spot; 3 power levels 100/50/10% and has the strobe to disorient as well as the s-o-s setting. In the states it's $12.99 for the flashlight, 2 special 3.7V batteries (18650 battery ~ the light takes only 1 so you have a spare) & the dual battery charger; or $8.19 for the flashlight only if you'd happen to have those unique batteries & charger. I've been using these same batteries in other lights & they've been recharging for me for years, no issues.

Actually quite small so if you were to hit someone (& I know you know how to do that!) with it you'd likely want it clutched tightly in hand & a downward blow; but I believe I'm getting ahead of myself ;)

It's on Amazon this is the link to it, you'd probably find the same light on Amazon.UK :good:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hatori-100...=1507861295&sr=1-4&keywords=hatori+flashlight

I've built up this light considerably, I own two for myself & have gifted 2 more to 2 friends, they both rave on the quality, brilliance, easy zoom etc.

That Taclight looks to be a few cliks better than this one Gypsy, but for the cheap price it's worth the risk to see if you're satisfied.

I've been using similar flashlights for yrs, the same led technology & the same 18650 rechargeable batteries, never a failed battery or light, I own 5 of the older styled lights that I've placed here & there for convenience.

View Image

EDIT:
If you're gonna look on Amazon for this light you'll likely find the Taclight & many others that are perhaps the exact same as the Taclight for less $$. fyi, people w/the know how latch onto a great light like these, get the manufacturer to etch their product name onto it & then they market it as if it was their own patented product.

One commercial here even showed a flashlight frozen into a block of ice still working. Last yr I found one of my 5 lights (I knew it was missing) buried in the snow/ice in my driveway (gone for over a week), run over by me dozens of times; I kicked it out of the compressed snow, hit the switch & it lit w/o any issue.

Careful with those 18650 batteries if they aren't protected. They're powerful batteries and the cheap ones can be dangerous.

https://www.fenix-store.com/blog/wh...en-protected-and-unprotected-18650-batteries/

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?384973-Protected-vs-unprotected-18650-batteries

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

good links & info GS, I have 8 'UltraFire' (good brand) protected 18650's & I have two of the blue ones pictured which are unprotected, all seem to be working fine but I'll keep an eye open to take them off the charger when light(s) go green, these batteries hold a charge quite well @ rest for days/weeks/months; my red UltraFire batteries will still hold an 85% charge if sitting for a year, or so they claimed. :dunno:

and as far as discharge issues? one of those replies mentioned that those issues are generally limited to multi-battery flashlights, and that a single cell flashlight like the one I showed wouldn't have the need nor the power chip to make it discharge @ a dangerous rate.

I'm really glad that you mentioned that though as my next light was going to be a 4 battery light, I now know that if I buy that light to spend better money for more UltraFire protected batteries, that unit has 9 lights to power and so it will have the high power chip.......

:good: K++

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

btw Gypsy, I checked Amazon & found the exact same light as the Taclight1100 for only $18.36; licensed under the Bell & Howell (B&H don't make f-lights) name.......

https://smile.amazon.com/Bell-Howel...&qid=1507950561&sr=8-3&keywords=taclight+1100

Bell + Howell 1176 Taclight High-Powered Tactical Flashlight with 5 Modes & Zoom Function

EDIT:
Searching farther yet:

2 of the same f-lights for only $15.58 on Amazon :yoinks:
https://smile.amazon.com/Tactical-F...561&sr=8-6-spons&keywords=taclight+1100&psc=1

on both of the above deals you'd be needing to buy batteries & charger separately.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

btw Gypsy, I checked Amazon & found the exact same light as the Taclight1100 for only $18.36; licensed under the Bell & Howell (B&H don't make f-lights) name.......

https://smile.amazon.com/Bell-Howel...&qid=1507950561&sr=8-3&keywords=taclight+1100

Bell + Howell 1176 Taclight High-Powered Tactical Flashlight with 5 Modes & Zoom Function

EDIT:
Searching farther yet:

2 of the same f-lights for only $15.58 on Amazon :yoinks:
https://smile.amazon.com/Tactical-F...561&sr=8-6-spons&keywords=taclight+1100&psc=1

on both of the above deals you'd be needing to buy batteries & charger separately.

Looks to be about the best deal Stoner4Life, relatively cheap, and with you singing its praises ta-boot I reckon that I should order one...

MrBungle

I like that it has the option to run on 3 AAA batteries also if you don/cant use the 18650s err whatever

redlaser

Veteran
I keep a couple larger spotlight type flashlights around the house that are rechargeable.

But I like to carry a Fenix flashlight on a keychain that uses a AAA battery. Plenty bright for its size, plus it's always in my pocket when needed. I have a larger Fenix that uses AA battery's that is a lot brighter. But the smaller one is usually plenty.

B

bigganjabud

I got a cree one that came with spikes at the flash end gyps but I can't find it

Must be in my other tackle box

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I bought 2 of the Taclights for $20

I bought 2 of the Taclights for $20

I told them one wasn't working so I called and they sent me two more....

Called again and they sent me two more.

Gave some away to friends, still have three.

I also have a 4 X "C" Cell LED - its a five watt, around a foot long made of aluminum and pretty heavy.

I also have the Taclight Table Lamp

All cool stuff :party:

I have a streamlight strion LED rechargeable and its hands down the best light I've owned. Battery life could be a bit longer but it charges off 12v so it rarely leaves me hanging.
A bit spendy but worth it.

troutman

Seed Whore
Just recently I was considering getting a new flashlight/torch, because occasionally I might find myself in a place where it is needed, and also it can act as a form of self defense. If shone into the eyes of an assailant, it can take up to 3 minutes for them to recover proper eyesight.
What are kind of Bionic Ninja mission are you planning now? :biggrin:

Didn't you just get out of a major legal mess. :laughing:

B

bigganjabud

What are kind of Bionic Ninja mission are you planning now? :biggrin:

Didn't you just get out of a major legal mess. :laughing:

Reminds me to charge my head torches should that hurricane knock out the power and charge the 50000mah power bank aswell as the phone and the tablets lol might have to turn em on in shifts

N

NBE One !

Got this from a small mail order Catalouge some yrs ago...12v Rechargeable & Extremely Bright. People would be Shading their Eyes for Sure ! (-: lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts