What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grow- Birthday cake, Chemmy jones. Need expert opinions.

I got 2 bag seeds, a quarter of birthday cake got me one seed, a eighth of chemmy jones got me one seed also. I felt bad paying 90 for a q and 45 for a 8th herr in Colorado but the seeds made it better.
I popped both seeds in march, both in separate 3 gal buckets for me to move inside as needed due to Colorado's crazy weather changes. Now both are doing great as of 8/21/17. This is my first grow. I havent done much other than soil and water. I used miracle grow potting mix and about a month ago i used 2 sticks of flower nutes per pot. (Miracle grow flowering stick nutes) i grow outside in pots them move them in depending on weather. 100% natural sun.
I have no idea what im doing other than info online and i hope eith this forum i can get some advice and guidance from seasoned growers. I need this crop to make it till tax time and not need to buy smoke. Please check the pictures of each plant and let me know how you think they will turn out and how much longer they should go for. Any advice helps guys, thank you.
The birthday cake is farther along than the chemmy jones. They were planted at the same time in march i just think one is more sativa dominant and flowers a little later under natural sunlight.:tiphat: images are in the attachments below, im on mobile and its kinda hard to put the image in the post lol, just ask for better pics and ill share them for you if needed. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170822_095136.jpg
    20170822_095136.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170822_095146.jpg
    20170822_095146.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170822_095212.jpg
    20170822_095212.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170822_095223.jpg
    20170822_095223.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170822_095152.jpg
    20170822_095152.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
Some better pics. First 5 are birthday cake, the fuller budlets and flowering a little ahead of the chemmy jones in the last 2 pics. Chemmy jones has the pink purple color to the hairs with smaller buds. :thank you:

Attachments

• 15034186728741157521820.jpg
    15034186728741157521820.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9
  • 15034186349951539278576.jpg
    15034186349951539278576.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 15034185363061692048852.jpg
    15034185363061692048852.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 15034187304272101646789.jpg
    15034187304272101646789.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1503418757508156384314.jpg
    1503418757508156384314.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8

Yormom

Looks like they aren't getting enough nutrients.
Check the pH of your water and run off water.
Also check the TDS.
It might be your pH is off or it just needs more nutrients or both.

I dont give it anything except water. A couple sticks of miracle grow nutrient sticks for flowering and thats it. I mean what looks bad? To me they look great, they just started budding up a couple weeks ago.... im confused as to whats wrong? I didnt think anything was.

Added about 10 sticks per pot a month ago. Just added 10 more per pot now. I tried to go as natural as possible with out adding too much other than soil and water. Also using distilled water in jugs to water.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They're looking good. I think you'll be fine, they will soon be out of nitrogen as far as I can see, but they're already well into flower, so just let them fade out ( a little later would probably have been better, but no need to feed nitrogen now). There might be a few more deficiencies on their way, but just let them go, you'll be fine.

Good luck

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm new to this also, the only thing that jumps out as "wrong" in those pics is the amount of yellow in the leaves, I think that can be tied to low nitrogen levels and also to PH levels, so that might be why Yormom said that. Good luck on the grow!

Thanks guys. This last batch of nutrient sticks is my last round of nutrients for the grow. My neighbor said they were in like week 3 of flower and to push this last batch of sticks and it should ve ready for harvest in 5-7 weeks. Is this true? He hasnt lead me wrong yet..

Yormom

Just check your pH of the water that you are using.
Sounds like the nutrients are there. Plant is probably having a hard time using the nutrients due to ph. Other than that that plant looks great.
Good job!

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Thank you. I use distilled water. Isnt that ph nutrual?

...don't use distilled water, tap water or well water is better as a rule.

...and yeah, 5 to 7 weeks sounds about right with the caveat that if you have one leaning heavily toward the sativa side then that one could take longer.

peace, bozo

Also, how much larger in size can i expect the buds to get? Its mainly balls of white hairs now, tips of hair orange, with very few small calyxs. 1 large mutant calyx lol. How much more time is needed at this point. Doesnt look like weed you buy at the dispensary yet lol. Thanks for input guys. Im a noob

...don't use distilled water, tap water or well water is better as a rule.

...and yeah, 5 to 7 weeks sounds about right with the caveat that if you have one leaning heavily toward the sativa side then that one could take longer.

peace, bozo

Thanks. I will be sure to do that. I have old copper pipes in the home, would this be a issue with parts per million? Like impurities..

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Thanks. I will be sure to do that. I have old copper pipes in the home, would this be a issue with parts per million? Like impurities..
...unless you see green staining in your household sinks then the copper pipes are no problem.

...i grow indoors using coco rather than soil and i run passive hydro hempy buckets and i've used tap water for more than 10 years and mine comes outa the tap with a ph of 7.5 - 8 so it ain't perfect but it sure is easy, lol.

...here's a couple pics of some of my early hempys that were grown in 2liter Coke bottles made into hempy buckets and that were flowered under a 400CMH. (in the first pic you can see the Coke bottles, the Folgers cans are just runoff trays)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace, bozo

...unless you see green staining in your household sinks then the copper pipes are no problem.

...i grow indoors using coco rather than soil and i run passive hydro hempy buckets and i've used tap water for more than 10 years and mine comes outa the tap with a ph of 7.5 - 8 so it ain't perfect but it sure is easy, lol.

...here's a couple pics of some of my early hempys that were grown in 2liter Coke bottles made into hempy buckets and that were flowered under a 400CMH. (in the first pic you can see the Coke bottles, the Folgers cans are just runoff trays)

View Image

View Image

View Image

peace, bozo

I hope my plant produce buds like that. Does it seem like a possibility or nah. Just dont want to get to hype if they arent going to grow much more. They are just like white balls of pistils with very little calyx. They started shooting these white hairs about 3 weeks ago. I use the outside colorado sun and the dark of night.

They're looking good. I think you'll be fine, they will soon be out of nitrogen as far as I can see, but they're already well into flower, so just let them fade out ( a little later would probably have been better, but no need to feed nitrogen now). There might be a few more deficiencies on their way, but just let them go, you'll

Do you think the buds will be large. Its onky about week 3 of seeing white pistil clusters. Not many calyx. Will there be a larger increase in bud size over the next few weeks? They only have about 5-7 weeks left before harvest shouldnt they? Sorry im a noob.

Latest posts

Latest posts