What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Influence of Tobacco on Tetrahydrocannabinol Levels

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.vapormed.com/pdf/Cannabis II IT.pdf

Medicinal cannabis has attracted a lot of attention in recent times. Various forms of administration
are used, of which smoking is very common but the least desirable. Smoking cannabis
generates a large amount of unwanted side products, of which carcinogenic compounds are
the most dangerous. A common practice among recreational drug users, and to a lesser degree
patients who uses cannabis as medicine, is to mix the cannabis material with commercially
available tobacco in order to increase the burning efficiency of the cigarette and to reduce
the overall costs of the cigarette. In this study cannabis material has been mixed with tobacco
in order to determine whether tobacco has an influence on the amount of and ratio between
tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabinol (CBN) administered while
smoking. A small-scale smoking machine has been used and cannabis mixed with various ratios
of tobacco was smoked. The trapped smoke was quantitatively analyzed by high-performance
liquid chromatography (HPLC) and the amount of THC, CBG, and CBN was determined for
each cigarette. We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of
cannabis from 32.70​
・} 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 ・} 2.30 mg/g for a 25%
cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by

as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Ummm, commercial tobacco is chemically designed to burn hotter.

A vaporizer increases thc inhaled without the abuse and poison.

B

Buxxy

whats an effect of tobacco smoke on the growing cannabis plant ? Im runnig a grow in a tent in a room I spent most of my time and I smoke quite alot.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
superb paper - very interesting. im always slightly ashamed that i prefer smoking weed with tobacco (old habits die hard) - but this gives the practice some credence.

added chemicals aside, i also doubt whether smoking tobacco is any more carcenogenic than weed anyway - after all its all organic matter at the end of the day...

thanks storm shadow for keep posting up these great papers that you have access to.

VG

N

narko

added chemicals aside, i also doubt whether smoking tobacco is any more carcenogenic than weed anyway - after all its all organic matter at the end of the day...

VG

nicotine usually kills not cancer... 99 % of the people dying because of smoking tobacco die from heart attack or a stroke

sso

Veteran
Medicinal cannabis has attracted a lot of attention in recent times. Various forms of administration are used, of which smoking is very common but the least desirable. Smoking cannabis
generates a large amount of unwanted side products, of which carcinogenic compounds are
the most dangerous. A common practice among recreational drug users, and to a lesser degree
patients who uses cannabis as medicine, is to mix the cannabis material with commercially
available tobacco in order to increase the burning efficiency of the cigarette and to reduce
the overall costs of the cigarette. In this study cannabis material has been mixed with tobacco
in order to determine whether tobacco has an influence on the amount of and ratio between
tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabinol (CBN) administered while
smoking. A small-scale smoking machine has been used and cannabis mixed with various ratios
of tobacco was smoked. The trapped smoke was quantitatively analyzed by high-performance
liquid chromatography (HPLC) and the amount of THC, CBG, and CBN was determined for
each cigarette. We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of
cannabis from 32.70 ± 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 ± 2.30 mg/g for a 25%
cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by
as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

---

yup, but its quite more than that.

1g of tobacco to a 1g of weed. you get about 4 times more stoned and it lasts about that longer.

1 hit of weed mixed with enough tobacco is 4 hits to me

but most users use 2g of tobacco (two normal cigs) to 1 g of weed.
if its really good weed, a "normal" user might go up to 6g of tabacco and still getting strong hits.

and, frankly i cough more from straight weed (usually) and often if the weed is harsh its far more palatable with tobacco. (though im both a tobacco smoker from way back (still smoke cigs if i dont have weed or need to be more clear)
and have smoked tobacco mixed weed from the very first hit i took.

i like to call it the peaceweed of the east meets the peaceherb from the west.

sso

Veteran
but still, id think just curing the weed properly would solve all need for tobacco in just making it burn better..

should smoke a lot smoother (commercial tobacco is often bit harsh)

funny, though, they come to the same conclusions as i with just testing on myself lol

as the fact that tobacco burns at a different temp than cannabis (therefore sorta vaporizes the thc)

but this can be seen by just carefully observing the burning mixture.

N

narko

Smoking cannabis
the most dangerous.

yeah right but mixing it with the tobacco the most dangerous compound will be: nicotine. so why should anybody mix it ? mixing medicine with like poison aint clever to me.

edit : dunno if you were talking to me at all...

special hookah

Very interesting read. Back when I used to smoke cigarettes, I always enjoyed rolling spliffs mixed about 50/50.

Another interesting topic is on the effects of tobacco after a smoke. My roommates and I would go smoke a cigarette afterwards to "boost." My best assumption is that the added nicotine buzz helps to enhance the effects of the cannabis.

I've always enjoyed loading up a nice hookah mixed with some bud. This study proves that more cannabinoids are released when smoking dried tobacco, but I wonder how the effects are with a juicy tobacco like shisha. Anyway, nice read. Thanks for posting.

e_24

i like the smoke after a "smoke". i usually go for a clove cig, and call it good.

i roll splifs with cloves. tastes amazing, and the buzz is wonderful

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FUCK Tobacco, killed too many of the people I love and millions more I don't know.

I don't even smoke blunts anymore, seriously fuck tobacco & nicotine. Not cool!

devilgoob

Veteran
It is so funny that weed is known by many circles as a gateway drug.

I'd say the gateway was...I have something to smoke and it's not cigarettes.

Quit cigarettes smoking weed.

Then you find the headache, wrecklessness and humility that comes along with drinking while you're high and just don't feel that's right for you.

I love pot. God really wants us to smoke it. He says we can as long as it does not intoxicate. Well some weed is potent, but by intoxicate...I think it's more like being aware of your own thoughts and realizing other people. You think a drunk guy walks into a convenience store in the middle of the night and people are fine and comfortable around that guy? He obviously lost his SELF-CONTROL.

Being high or being balanced, gives me a viewpoint around everything and causes me to process my negative thoughts with very much ease.

This is why ectasy is used to treat PTSD. Not only do you have to process out negative emotions, you must replace them or they quickly grow back. How are you supposed to write a positive emotion to memory with chronic PSTD or depression?

Anyway, I am with everyone on this. Interesting though!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i usually only smoke weed in the evenings (with tobacco) and never smoke cigarettes/tobacco any other times - not a problem for me but yes nicotine is a very addictive drug which many people get hooked on.

but i think anyone who thinks that smoking just weed joints is harmless are kidding themselves - smoking anything is bad for you at the end of the day. there may be good medicinal effects of smoking weed but thats a different matter

N

narko

but i think anyone who thinks that smoking just weed joints is harmless are kidding themselves - smoking anything is bad for you at the end of the day. there may be good medicinal effects of smoking weed but thats a different matter

once again your right about that , still mixing weed with tobacco makes it even worse.

BudToker

Veteran
New research shows that while people who smoke cigarettes and marijuana increase their risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) almost threefold, smoking pot alone doesn’t increase the risk of the deadly lung condition. The findings were published in the April 14 issue of the Canadian Medical Association Journal. I used to mix and roll spliffs but after researching many sources I quit tobacco completely. No thanks COPD, I'd rather live.
-BT :smokeit:

BudToker

Veteran
I'm also trying for Vaporizing cannabis whenever possible. I will still occasionally use combustion when traveling or smoking socially with friends.

-BT :smokeit:

THC123

Veteran
superb paper - very interesting. im always slightly ashamed that i prefer smoking weed with tobacco (old habits die hard) - but this gives the practice some credence.

lol i had a discussion bout this 2 yearsz ago in the den

i told them that smoking tobaccojoints gave me a stronger effect then pure weed joints

glad to see i wasn't imagining things

ah well i am already 2 years tobacco free , but indeed a pure joint or bong gives me a way way weaker effct then a vaporizer

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I have always found that the combo weed and tobacco would suit my needs better than any of the two alone.
I do not smoke tobacco on its own and if possible i add a bit of tobacco to my joints.
Only when with anti-tobacco friends around i go for pure joints, pipes or bowls.
I did not had any decent study to backup my theory. Now i do!!!
Thanks for posting and for all the input afterwards

sso

Veteran
yeah, i dont like smoking weed without tobacco, tobacco just got some things i need.

tsk, im not too fond of listening to scientific studies either.
usually either spawned by fear or moneymaking.

so most people that smoke die from heart disease and strokes?

yeah, well, most people that smoke that much are very stressed and under alot of pressure.

might as well say the nicotine saved them from dying sooner by relaxing them.

now you might say this and that, but that fact of the matter is, many cases they list cigarettes as the dying cause without even checking, just because the guy smoked.

now overconsumption of cigarettes is probably not very good.

but with low consumption i doubt the healthrisk is that great. (tobacco is rather a strong drug and should therefore be done in moderation)

and any more than many other things we are in contact with.

and besides, why do you think there is less lying with tobacco than weed?