What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"BLACK OUT BUD BUTTER" "BOBB" by Dr. Jay :)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
By Jay R. Cavanaugh, PhD

Better Bud Butter has been a terrific hit with website readers and those fortunate enough to have a copy of “The Canny Bus Trip Kit” (soon to be released). It’s hard to improve on Better Bud Butter but we’ve done it.

Improvement number one comes from using European sweet butter. Regular butter is about 80% butterfat while European butters range from 84-86%. This may seem trivial but remember it is the butterfat that exacts the cannabinoids so a 7-8 % increase in butterfat will result in a more efficient extraction and stronger butter. European style butter comes from a number of manufacturers including Plugra from upstate New York, Strauss Organic, and recently Challenge European Style. Yes, the best still comes from France but it is exorbitantly priced.

Improvement number two comes from using a Braun high speed coffee grinder to convert all cannabis plant material from whatever source to a fine powder. The use of powder means the butter will taste more like cannabis as some of the chlorophyll and a few terpenes get into the butter. It also means a vastly increased surface area where the butterfat meets the cannabinoids. Using powder or “flour” significantly increases the potency of the final butter.

Improvement number three comes from using the best starting materials available. In this case Train Wreck, California Orange, and Pooh Bear trim were ground up and supplemented by powdered California Orange flowers. Using bud as opposed to trim will increase the potency of the butter.

The three improvements noted above resulted in cannabutter that is markedly different from the normal (and quite wonderful) Better Bud Butter. Black Out Bud Butter (BOBB) is approximately 2oo-300% stronger. The name BOBB comes from the fact that this butter is midnight green and will cause blackouts if too much is consumed.

Ingredients:

2 ½ pounds (six cups) of European Style high butterfat unsalted butter. I combined 8 oz of Plugra with 1 pound of Strauss Organic and 1 pound of Challenge European Style. Everyone has there own favorites but mine is Strauss. Strauss is smoother and less greasy than the others.

4 oz powdered Train Wreck Trim

2 oz powdered Pooh Bear Trim (a cross of Train Wreck and Salmon Creek Big Bud)

2 oz powdered California Orange trim

1/3 oz powdered California Orange flowers

Method:

The butters were melted in a covered crock pot set on high. The powdered cannabis was gradually stirred in with a wood spoon. The mixture was frequently stirred and cooked covered on high for one hour followed by three hours set on low. Stirring was accomplished every 15 minutes.

After four hours the hot mixture was squeezed through cheese cloth into a bowl then the product was filtered once more through cheese cloth.
All available butter was squeezed out producing approximately 3 ½ cups. Theoretically, the cloth balls remaining could be re-extracted with more butter but the product would not be nearly as strong.
Approximately 75-85% of the available cannabinoids are extracted on the first pass.

Note on Preparation:

No gloves were used in squeezing the rather hot cloth balls into the collection vessel. If you go barehanded beware of burns. Usually the ball can be twisted and held at the top then you can press the ball with the wood spoon against the side of the collection vessel. Once the ball has cooled sufficiently you can “wring” out the last of the cannabutter. Yes, this is messy but will leave your hands oh so soft.

Note on Amount of powdered cannabis to use: I use as much as will go into solution with the butter. This varies depending upon the cannabis and source.

Note on Potency:

I know this cannabutter is potent simply from the extreme effects produced from handling it. I look forward to using this super potent butter for the next batch of Pecan Sandies.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Here Come de Fudge…Coma Quick Brownies

From The Canny Bus Trip Kit
By Jay R. Cavanaugh, Ph.D.

Note: This recipe can be made from start to finish in only 40 minutes.

Maybe our brownies made from scratch are the best in the world but let’s face it, they are neither so easy nor quick to make.
As the Canny Bus gets a new air conditioning compressor in order to make yet another northern excursion, we decided to try a quick and dirty method of making great fudge brownies.

Our northern medical cannabis gardeners provide free trim for the sick and dying. We can’t tell you who they are for obvious reasons but believe me they are real life savers.
What’s more they love my cooking!

So, Kermit the Canny Bus is gassed up, repaired, and ready to go.
Buttons our bear is onboard and his seatbelt fastened. Visions of fresh bud crowd his little stuffed bear brain. New trim awaits the canny cooks! We’ve picked a bushel of lemons for our northern friends and are prepared for a spring visit.
Now for the real present, here comes de fudge, here come coma quick brownies. The way Nurse Nancy wife drives, the brownies will still be warm when we arrive at our secret rendezvous in a forest glade somewhere in the Foothills of the great Sierra Nevada. Forget Humboldt, Santa Cruz, and Big Sur or Amsterdam for that matter because these fertile foothills (elevation 2,500 feet) grow some of the best cannabis on the planet....

Nurse Nancy Wife discovered that Duncan Hines makes one super duper brownie mix.
I never met Duncan but he knew what he was doing when he came up with this mix.
All you need to add is a couple of eggs and our own Black Out Butter.
Can it be this easy to make deadly brownies that rival our own?

Ingredients:

One box of Duncan Hines Brownie Mix

2 large eggs

1 cup Black Out Butter

Optional:&/or
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla,
one teaspoon fresh lemon zest,
one tablespoon Grand Marnier

Directions:
Bring your Black Out Butter to room temperature.
Wisk the butter and the eggs in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
Gradually add the brownie mix and blend with a wood spoon until smooth.
If the mix is too thick (doubtful) you can add a couple of tablespoons of water.
Pour mixture into a Pam coated baking pan (not a loaf pan, not a cookie sheet, just a 6X6x2).
Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until slightly firm. Set aside and let them cool if you have that kind of patience.

That’s it! You’re done.

Note: Pure cannabutter cooks just like oil.
The directions on the box of Duncan Hines call for one half cup of oil but we used a full cup of cannabutter instead.
This means that the brownies are going be fudgier than normal.

Potency Warning:
This recipe makes approximately 12 large brownies.
The one cup of Black Out Butter was made with approximately 50 grams of trim.
Assuming trim potency 50% of flowers and estimating an extraction efficiency of 75% that mean each brownie has the equivalent of about 2 grams of flowers.
We didn’t name these guys “Quick Coma” for nothing.

Medical Applications:
We strongly recommend these brownies for:

Severe insomnia

Muscle spasticity from MS, diabetes, HCV, and other disorders

OCD associated with autism spectrum disorders

Maintaining cannabinoid blood levels in chronic pain syndromes

Do not drive, operate machinery, or, in fact do anything besides sleeping, listening to music, or watching the Sci-Fi channel for 8-12 hours after consumption.

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/recipes/Here_Come_de_fudge.htm

:)

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Better Bud Butter

Better Bud Butter

From the "The American Alliance For Medical Cannabis" website:

We’ve received numerous inquiries about just how one goes about making butter for all of these recipes.
Well, folks have been making butter from cannabis for as long as I can remember which unfortunately is quite long.
In the 60’s butter was not widely used as cannabis was in short supply and many folks smoked the leaves as well as any flowers (bud) they might acquire.

Even before the widespread use of medical cannabis in the 80’s and 90’s, increasing numbers of folks who had access to significant quantities of leaf, began to use basic recipes to make cooking products including butter and oil. All of these basic recipes involved slow and low cooking of dairy butter (or oil) and chopped leaf (in roughly equal proportions) to produce a deep green butter. This butter could be very potent but tastes pretty terrible. The problem is that butter made from the whole leaf will include both the chlorophyll and terpenes (as in turpentine) from the plant.

The use of Cannabis for medical purposes has spurred innovation and variety in Cannabis products.
Many patients cannot or will not smoke.
Of course there are vaporizers and tincture's, but butter is the easiest to cook with and food products are not only well tolerated but can be very tasty and add much needed nutrition.
The better the butter the greater the application is in recipes ranging from baked goods to soups to stews, to a wide variety of sauces.

This author relies on the "experts" for the following butter recipes.

There are a few basic principles to good butter:

1. Use very low heat as to not lower the potency or alter the biochemical characteristics of the Cannabis.

2. Use high quality sweet unsalted dairy butter.

3. Use a roughly 50/50 ratio (by weight) of plant product and dairy butter. With potent strains or flowers instead of trim the ratio can be easily changed to 10/1 (butter to plant). The resulting butter will have lighter color and better taste.

Bud Butter and Trim Butter: Manicure and dry flowers and/or bud trimmings. Grind to a powder with an electric coffee grinder. Melt the unsalted dairy butter first in a crock pot set on low. Gradually add the trim or flower powder with constant stirring. Cook in crock pot covered on the lowest setting with frequent stirring for two to four hours. Before the dark green butter cools, pour through a cheese cloth and squeeze into plastic tubs. Once the butter cools you can cover the tubs and place them in the refrigerator to finish cooling.

Potency: Potency of butter can vary tremendously depending upon the strain and which portions of the plant are used. Adding four to six ounces of powdered bud trim to two pounds of dairy butter will produce extremely powerful butter. Adding 2-4 tablespoons of such butter to a recipe that serves 10 means that each portion is receiving approximately 1-3 grams of Cannabis. Cookies and brownies made with this butter can be even stronger. Most of the good cookie recipes call for as much as 16 tablespoons of butter to three dozen cookies. These cookies are strong. Although patient dose requirements for orally delivered Cannabis are 4-10X higher than when smoked, one can see a portion can be quite potent. Unlike smoked Cannabis, the effects of the butter will appear more slowly and have much longer duration.

Storage: Butter can be kept in the freezer in airtight containers. Butter kept in this fashion can last many months. One should frequently inspect the butter to insure mold has not spoiled it. If mold has developed or the butter has been exposed and become rancid then it is best to toss it. When in doubt, throw it out.

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/recipes/better_bud_butter.htm

furiousanger

normandy butter has the highest amount of fat...taste is creamier..

after making your butter make sure the cream the butter back into a homogeneous mass...

i always retain the scum layer on the butter plug...like a green goo...on a talo like sheet...it tastes like ass..and i assume has particulates...but is where lots of the CBs are.

i always do 100g prime trim=1lbs of butter...you can add another stick so you yield ~1lbs out..longer you cook it the higher i get...till it all darkens and looks like shit...i figured shorter lower cooking temps would help...but no...

G

Thank you I.M. for your contributions to the forum. I will be sure to try the triple B next time I make butter. :yes:

rsteeb

Ganjerbread Muffins

Ganjerbread Muffins

Hi, all,

Another easy recipe involves Dromedary brand gingerbread mix. The muffin recipe variant on the box calls for a quarter cup of melted butter, so up to a half cup of herbal butter can be added to a dozen muffin batch.

I have also been adding 15-20 grams of well-powdered Volcano-vaped bud-- partially depleted, but it's nicely dessicated and decarboxylated. According to the CANORML/MAPS study, the volcano extracted herb is still 30-50% good after three bags; it's especially good if you only vape a single bagful or two before dumping the Volcano chamber into the cooking-stash jar!

I like to use a mixture of HempNut, brown sugar and cinnamon baked on top.

Using both the [slightly-toasted] herb AND herbal butter makes a very effective medicinal muffin! :D

Motley

Water washing is a great way to clean up herb before extraction.
Soak in boiled water (from the kettle) for a couple of hours or very gently boil on stove for 10 minutes. Strain thru cloth. Do this 3 times and most of the nasty stuff will be gone without compromising potency.

Purified butter, also known as Ghee, is 99% butter fat. Usually available at the grocery store, tho might need to go to an Asian/Indian grocer to find it. Ghee does an excellent extraction job and it has a longer shelf life. It is very popular in India where butter is purified so that it can keep without refridgeration.

Cheerz

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
This (...Excerpted...) article can be found online at http://www.yogajournal.com/health/94_1.cfm
Here's a recipe from Miriam Kasin Hospodar's cookbook:
Heaven's Banquet:
Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health;
the*Ayurveda Way.

Ghee can be found at the health food store,
but it's also [relatively] easy to make.

Ghee is made by simmering butter until the water evaporates and the solids separate from the oil.
The solids are then strained out, and the pure, golden oil that remains is ghee.

Two pounds of butter yield approximately 1 1/2 pounds of ghee.
Always use unsalted butter.
Slow cooking over very low heat allows the milk sugar to caramelize and is the secret to spectacular ghee.
Because it takes a long time, it is best to make large amounts.
Don't go for any less than one pound of butter; smaller amounts burn easily. One pound of butter takes under an hour to prepare.
Use the heaviest pot you can find.
Placing a heat diffuser on the burner is also helpful.
Do not stir cooking ghee.

One Ayurvedic recommendation that differs from other methods of ghee preparation is to refrain from skimming off the foam that forms at the top during cooking.
This foam has medicinal properties. [?]
Leaving it on requires an extra measure of alertness when the end of cooking is in sight, to ensure that the solids don't burn.

1. Melt the butter over low heat in an uncovered pot with high sides.
Make sure the pot is completely dry before adding the butter and allow some room at the top for the butter to bubble up and foam.

2. Turn the heat as low as possible and cook the butter until it is clear and golden. Do not skim off the foam.
The solids may brown, but take care that they don't burn.
Check the butter frequently. I
f it starts to darken, remove from heat.

3. Line a large sieve with three layers of clean cotton cloth.
Pocket handkerchiefs work well, as do pieces of unbleached muslin.
Set the lined sieve over a pot and pour the ghee through it while still hot. Carefully transfer the ghee to clean glass jars with lids.
Ghee keeps for two months without refrigeration, but it can go rancid in warmer weather.
...................................................................................................
*ayurvedic medicine is a comprehensive system of medicine, first described by Charaka around the beginning of the Common Era, and based on a holistic approach rooted in earlier Vedic culture.
Its conspicuous use of the word veda, or knowledge, reveals its role in early Hinduism and describes its hallowed place in India.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda

IMB :)

Last edited:

billy bob

Hay guys I have never cooked with pot but the black out butter and the quick coma brownies sound awesome cant wait to try em love to bake stuff so am looking foward to the black out... lol

PureSativa420

thanks for the Butter recipe i was looking for one that was better then the others i have seen so i will give this one a try this weekend and hopefully its more potent and turns out better then the few others i have tried making in the past

G

GREAT STUFF IM BOGGLED
cant wait to try the bobb and brownie recipe out.

B

boo

I traded cookied with dr. Jay a ways back...his cookies were way more oily than mine but boy oh boy were they ever good...funny how 2 kinds of cookies were so different...we laughed about how we were swapping cookies and most folks were swapping clones...we all miss you bro...peace from the swamp

ez`

Dr. Jay's black out butter was what got me into eating THC. It is a great improvement over smoking and helped my lungs alot. I'll always be grateful to him for that.. RIP Jay..

drew87

they are not really improving the butter, the fact that there is more than an oz per cup of butter may play a huge roll

G

man, that recipe sounds lethal! im going to have to make some substitutions, but i will make an amended version! :yummy:

Latest posts

Latest posts