What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

scattering seeds....best in spring or fall?

yahooman

i have a good spot in a swamp,its a 1/4 acre raised up in the middle of a swamp.....

id like to scatter a few hundred fem seeds to see what happens....im thinking fall so the seeds can settle into the dirt over winter and spring,but im not sure if the freezing temps will destroy the seeds

anyone have experience?please only answer if your sure

master kusher

bury each seed about 1/2 inch below the soil and pat lightly after soaking 24 hours. Do all of this right before a couple rainy/cloudy days in the spring.

Easy7

Veteran
Just tossing seeds is far more likely to feed critters than grow flowers. Starting seeds outside requires some sort of protection. Usually a cold frame of sorts.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Don't they say 100 seeds per square metre to have a chance? Screw those odds!

PDX Dopesmoker

I'd go with more than a just few hundred seeds if you're planting dry seed. doing something more like what master kusher said will increase the sprouting fraction enormously. Sprouting them in a paper towel then growing them in egg cartons for a little while before transplanting is best. You can put way more than 100 plants in a backpack pretty easily that way.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agree w/ ppeyes. Although if you are scattering seeds for random plants, spring just past frost stage (March?) is a good time. We take our pale seeds and walk along creek beds, rivers and scatter them. Returning in 80 days (auto seeds), maybe 30-40% are thriving....others may have been bird seed or non viable.

troutman

Seed Whore
I would wait until Spring to plant seeds. During the Winter many may get killed by underground pests, etc.

CannaFunk

Why not plant the 1/4 acre properly? Digout your holes, utilize organic matter from the swamp, and bring in some soil amendments and aeration in whatever form you like. Bring in a bucket of organic fertilizer and leave it there so you don't have to bring it. Swamps are the shit, I have a few near me, but Mosquitoes down here are the size of Butterflys.

yahooman

because i grow legally at home and dont need to get caught growing in the bush......and no time...but mostly its not worth going to prison.....walking in the bush and throwing seeds,then coming back in october once is doable and not risky......

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to grow that way. It works really well actually. Use a shovel to loosen the soil up 6-12 inches deep, chop it up to break up chunks and smooth the surface. Just scatter a couple handfulls or so of seed, and scratch it in with your fingers about 1/2 inch. I used to do a 6'x8' patch but you could do a few 4x4 plots. Weeds get so bad, 4x4 allows more light in. Plant in April for best success. But watch the wet conditions. You want to catch the cool moist weather so you don't need to water in the late spring/ summer to get them going. Enjoy! :smoke:

Farm Hero

Early spring will work fine, however, seeds that were outside all winter did spout earlier and became larger plants than the seeds planted early April.