What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje 13 week harvest one month on

Mulanje 13 week harvest one month on

Here are some pics of the Mulanje lowers I left for 13 weeks longer than the main plant that was harvested way too early at 9 weeks.
The High from the early picked plant had zero stone just pure high.
This one has a stone I can feel immediately even 10 mins after chewing it.
The smell is something else like sweet wild flower honey with a sandalwood incense just what I was hoping for.
This will now be dried and sealed to age in a couple of months this will peak in potency and it will be like caviar right next to my GT.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

F

Fermented

I wouldn't recommend cobbing with seeded bud if you roll your cobs densely...when I say densely, I'm talking about cobs that are almost as heavy as hash and sound like a piece of wood if dropped on the floor or table. To get really dense cob I find it's best to roll your cobs with damper than usual bud and re-roll and tie them up several times to really make them compacted and dense to the max. I use oven cooking paper instead of natural leaves and it works fine.

Happy cobbing!

Tangwena

Veteran
Purple Honduras x Panama cob cured

Purple Honduras x Panama cob cured

This is my favorite at the moment the high is still functional as long as you dont have too much.
The euphoric rush I experience for the first 4 hours is amazing perfect pick me up if I've got the blues.
Double the dose and it will trip you out big time this was the early picked buds I cant believe it.
I have plenty of late picked cobs as well and they are wonderful until you try this pheno cobbed its outstanding I hope I find it again in the remaining seeds.

Pics are of the outside then the inside after it was broken open.
It will stink up a room in 5 secs flat its amazing skunk hash and fermented fruit just screams potent.

picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Golden Tiger aged 3 years

Golden Tiger aged 3 years

This is GT from 2017 it has been sealed up and aged it is one of only two pieces I have left only for emergencies its my default reset tripping cob.
It just dissolves into dust as I chew it and then dissolves altogether there is nothing to swallow.
The warm trippy feeling comes on within 15 mins and just builds and builds peaking at about 5 hours and then staying at the same level for another 3 hours before melting gently away.
Leaving me breathless and satisfied like an 8 hour orgasm only for special days when I need rebuilding after a nervy trip on some of the more nervous types.

picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Purple Honduras x Panama 9 months aged

Purple Honduras x Panama 9 months aged

This is the gear you give to your hardest friends and laugh as you watch them unravel before your eyes ha ha.
I tried the #1 about 5 hours ago and just got back from the most overpowering mind trip I have had yet I went everywhere and came out the other side 5 star high.
Cant wait to try #2 tomorrow he he.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DrDee

Tangwena,
Hey man...you have been an inspiration to me. And not just about cob curing. I love the descriptions of the highs you've been getting with your various sativas.

I've been undergoing a physical and mental transformation as a result of diet change, Because of injuries I received in a car wreck 25 years ago...I need surgery soon. Not afraid of it...but want to survive. So I've been doing everything the Doc asks of me. He said lose weight. I was 275 pounds a year ago...am now 190 through a modified protein sparing fast. I did the first bits mostly stoned...but felt so good even without it...I slowed up on the ganja...figuring to lower my tolerance.

Now, with the lower tolerances and the weight loss, the highs are spectacular. Trippy but not like a psychedelic. Moderate visuals but mostly mental.

My canna tool isn't cobs. I only have done three...which I posted here a few months back...White Widow that was a little too dry. Made a fair cob and they are aging now. So been using whole plant extract (QWET) made from three different Golden Tiger phenos I grew last winter (2019). I use olive oil to dissolve residua from the evap bowl and I had perhaps 100 ccs in a jar. One 3/4 full tablespoon down the hatch.

My first experience was done on a full fast and was extremely spiritual. I meditated and later watched some documentaries about the cosmos. I love to think about my place in the universe...and finally, I relaxed and drifted off to sleep.

My next experience was different. Am currently busy organizing and problem solving things in my life. I had a list of 5 problems that I wanted to solve. I ate the olive oil...took a nap and woke up stoned. Always like the fun of waking up into a nice stone. Takes a few moments to get your bearings...till you finally remember what's happening.

I meditated as the high deepened, and ended up inside a fuzzy sphere surrounded by the problems. I applied concentration to a point in the sphere and it would enlarge into a full blown idea and then, I applied the incredible creativity I was feeling. All problems solved...one at a time...typed the answer into my computer...eyes closed and back into the sphere.

Five elegant solutions as they unfolded around me. I had never used ganja as a problem solving tool before...and am pleased to have another tool in my mental toolbox.

I knew a gal back in my hippie days in the 60s. We called her Polyethylene Pam and she was Twiggy thin and always dressed to the hilt...usually in antique formalwear she bought in downtown Minneapolis...a great place to be in the 60s.

Pam would never make a decision unless stoned. She preferred LSD. Finally now, after all these years...I understand her thinking. Just in case she's out there reading this post...Hi Pam...I always wanted to have sex with you.

So am liking this new paradigm of using ganja only occasionally and with intense doses and focus. I can't do it as often as you though. You must have a highly experienced and bullet proof sensorium.

So Cheers to you Tang,
JohnDee
Cloud hidden Whereabouts unknown

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena,
Hey man...you have been an inspiration to me. And not just about cob curing. I love the descriptions of the highs you've been getting with your various sativas.

I've been undergoing a physical and mental transformation as a result of diet change, Because of injuries I received in a car wreck 25 years ago...I need surgery soon. Not afraid of it...but want to survive. So I've been doing everything the Doc asks of me. He said lose weight. I was 275 pounds a year ago...am now 190 through a modified protein sparing fast. I did the first bits mostly stoned...but felt so good even without it...I slowed up on the ganja...figuring to lower my tolerance.

Now, with the lower tolerances and the weight loss, the highs are spectacular. Trippy but not like a psychedelic. Moderate visuals but mostly mental.

My canna tool isn't cobs. I only have done three...which I posted here a few months back...White Widow that was a little too dry. Made a fair cob and they are aging now. So been using whole plant extract (QWET) made from three different Golden Tiger phenos I grew last winter (2019). I use olive oil to dissolve residua from the evap bowl and I had perhaps 100 ccs in a jar. One 3/4 full tablespoon down the hatch.

My first experience was done on a full fast and was extremely spiritual. I meditated and later watched some documentaries about the cosmos. I love to think about my place in the universe...and finally, I relaxed and drifted off to sleep.

My next experience was different. Am currently busy organizing and problem solving things in my life. I had a list of 5 problems that I wanted to solve. I ate the olive oil...took a nap and woke up stoned. Always like the fun of waking up into a nice stone. Takes a few moments to get your bearings...till you finally remember what's happening.

I meditated as the high deepened, and ended up inside a fuzzy sphere surrounded by the problems. I applied concentration to a point in the sphere and it would enlarge into a full blown idea and then, I applied the incredible creativity I was feeling. All problems solved...one at a time...typed the answer into my computer...eyes closed and back into the sphere.

Five elegant solutions as they unfolded around me. I had never used ganja as a problem solving tool before...and am pleased to have another tool in my mental toolbox.

I knew a gal back in my hippie days in the 60s. We called her Polyethylene Pam and she was Twiggy thin and always dressed to the hilt...usually in antique formalwear she bought in downtown Minneapolis...a great place to be in the 60s.

Pam would never make a decision unless stoned. She preferred LSD. Finally now, after all these years...I understand her thinking. Just in case she's out there reading this post...Hi Pam...I always wanted to have sex with you.

So am liking this new paradigm of using ganja only occasionally and with intense doses and focus. I can't do it as often as you though. You must have a highly experienced and bullet proof sensorium.

So Cheers to you Tang,
JohnDee
Cloud hidden Whereabouts unknown
Well thats a well written post Dr I agree with everything you say.
I have no problems in my life because like you I have solved every one while high its a great tool for problem solving for sure.
I use cannabis every day chewed so every day is different to the last. I look forward to each new dawn as I can create my own new day simply by choosing a different strain of cob they all have their own character which in turn effects mine.

Like a lot of older members I also loved and used LSD in my younger days the trips I take now on cobs are nothing like LSD much more kinder more emotional and euphoric.
The deeper stronger trips are crazy dreams inside my head its unreal the things I see and experience.

I have eaten cannabis many ways made oils, butter, baked cookies ect all work but all have different effects due to the different levels of extraction of different elements of the plant.
So far chewing the whole flower after fermenting curing (cobbing) is my favorite by far mostly for its ease of use just cut a piece off and chew it any time any place.

We have a great resource with this herb no matter how we choose to use it. I wish you great success in your life and hope your operation goes well one thing for sure is, I am sure you have the right medicine and knowledge to heal mentally, heal the mind and the rest follows.
Thank you for your great post I love sharing such stories its healing in its own way IMO.

DrDee

Thanks Tangwena,
Maybe some day I'll have a variety to choose from. Lots of sativa seeds still in the crisper.

One resolved issue is future grows. Going totally organic and will soon have a little outdoor space. Thinking a small greenhouse scrog. I have some Mango haze seeds I've wanted to grow ever since I got them...I'm hoping this summer.
Cheers,
JD

DrDee

Morning Tang,
My writing is always better first thing in the morning...later, I'm often too tired to concentrate well.

I was pondering your ability to take large doses more frequently, and still have profound highs...and was recalling back when I was doing larger doses daily as well.

Last year, when I grew the GT...I also had 5 CBD hemp plants going. Those were extracted to cannabudder and made into snickerdoodles. I threw in some Kali Mist cannabudder too...and over did it. So, at that point, .If I wanted the CBD...I had to get pretty stoned as well. I learned to run my life stoned...but none of the real eye opening experiences...like I had hoped.

But, as I thought, I remembered a breakthrough moment when my highs started taking on a life of their own.

I had heard through my older sister...that a guy we knew in High School, had passed away. So I looked up his obit and read about his life. He had become a news reporter in a small Minnesota town. He knew everyone and they all liked and respected him. He played guitar and was a good blues singer, He did that on weekends till near the end of his life.

I once dated his younger sister Jane...a really quiet,but beautiful girl. Before the date...Jane's brother Jim came to talk to me. You know the talk...man-to-man...a big brother protective of his little sister. I promised to treat her with respect and all was cool.

I took her to see the Who at the stadium in Fargo, North Dakota...that was my senior year and the Who's first US tour...1967. They played so loud...we ended up in the back balcony seats so we wouldn't go deaf. The empty seats around us were buzzing from the sound energy. When they played Eight Miles High, I was shivering from the intensity of it. They smashed all their guitars and burned the drumset at the end.

After getting quite stoned, I started thinking of Jane and Jim. My mind took over completely as I envisioned a life that could have been. Me and Jane married and happy. I was playing guitar back-up for Jim's blues band. An entire perfect life passed before my eyes. I was sad and ecstatic and a little weepy...as it all passed through me.

It was very much like the Star Trek episode when Jean Luc Picard's mind was co-opted by a probe and he lived an entire life; wife kids, a place in the community, old age...all in the matter of hours.

So that high...as best I can recall...was my first of the more profound experiences. And they didn't start happening until I dropped much of my fat. Cannibinoids are all fat soluble...and it only makes sense that skinny guys get more punch/dose. Tang...you must be a thin dude. Tell me so...to confirm my latest theory.

Gonna have to sign out for some weeks here...but will be in touch after...
Peace,
JD

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hi everybody,
Been following this thread for a while, awesome info ! I have yet to try the cob cure, and have only smoked a handful of time import buds that had gone through such a process.
So I grew one plant of Jamaican Nepal from ACE last season, with the aim to cob cure a part. Unfortunately, my plant was very late flowering, and due to going out of the country for a while, I didn't have time to cob it.
Has anybody tried to cob dried/cured buds by reintroducing moisture in it ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs ;)

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Dr Dee sorry to debunk your theory but I am not thin or fat more in the middle.
I think we all react differently to cannabis and require different amounts to reach the high we like so I cant help.
I only know from experience as some people I know only need small amounts 0.1 to 0.2g like myself while other need double or triple that amount.
I haven't smoked for about 8 years I think that makes a big difference as smoking seems to increase your tolerance.
I know people who have given up smoking to start chewing only cob or decarbed buds which work similarly and they report the doses needed getting smaller as they loose their tolerance built up from years of smoking.
But this is only anecdotal evidence not scientific by any means.
My friend Sola Logos takes very high doses compared to me but he still smokes or did until recently but enjoys the same results as I get on smaller doses its a chew it and see scenario but he did say it took 4 or 5 goes before he opened the gates to his mind fully if that helps. But once they are opened they stay that way ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi everybody,
Been following this thread for a while, awesome info ! I have yet to try the cob cure, and have only smoked a handful of time import buds that had gone through such a process.
So I grew one plant of Jamaican Nepal from ACE last season, with the aim to cob cure a part. Unfortunately, my plant was very late flowering, and due to going out of the country for a while, I didn't have time to cob it.
Has anybody tried to cob dried/cured buds by reintroducing moisture in it ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs ;)
Hi my friend I haven't and dont recommend it BUT Sweet Sue has a cob thread on 420 forum and some of her friends tried it and reported it worked and had enjoyable results I am not convinced though. I think once they get a good fresh buds cob result they would realize the difference.
If you do make some please post here so I can guide you through it. It takes a while to get the feel for this cure its not a one size fits all type of thing.
People I have guided through the process seem to get better results and pick up the technique a lot faster.
There is def an art to it its easy once you know how but many dont get past that first try if they stuff it up they just give up.
Its not for everyone or to everyones taste but once your hooked your on a pathway that opens up a whole new hobby to go along with your love of growing the plant.

Drunken Buddha

True, true,......I smoke very little and my typical cob dose is o.1 for being able to go to work, answer the phone with customers, and whatever else is required like fixing a networked printer that fails to print. Now that I'm sitting home in self-isolation (with the wife of course) I can take 0.2 or 0.3 and play with my day. The few days that I have taken 0.4 are very, very difficult to remember, though memorable...hahaha.....

Tangwena

Veteran
True, true,......I smoke very little and my typical cob dose is o.1 for being able to go to work, answer the phone with customers, and whatever else is required like fixing a networked printer that fails to print. Now that I'm sitting home in self-isolation (with the wife of course) I can take 0.2 or 0.3 and play with my day. The few days that I have taken 0.4 are very, very difficult to remember, though memorable...hahaha.....
Hi brother I'm in the same boat myself forced to stay home and work around the house on the right dose of the right cob its the only thing I want to do even the most mundane jobs become interesting and a joy to do.
Enjoy your break my friend and stay safe.

DrDee

Hi Guys,
Tang...I don't mind my theories being debunked. But my highs were becoming boring till I dropped 80 pounds...so for me, it's working. Or could be that I just generally feel so much better...that I'm appreciating my highs more. I shouldn't analyze so much...especially while stoned.

I'm isolated like everyone else. This did not surprise me at all. I'm a retired medical person and know that contagions spread so much easier with population density. And the worlds population has run amuck just within my lifetime. Not saying this isn't a bad virus and a scary situation...just wasn't a big surprise when it snowballed.

Getting stoned myself right now. Thai/Malawi infused olive oil. Taking 5 cc an hour until I get too stoned to remember to do it. lol

Be safely stoned everyone!
John

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Guys,
Tang...I don't mind my theories being debunked. But my highs were becoming boring till I dropped 80 pounds...so for me, it's working. Or could be that I just generally feel so much better...that I'm appreciating my highs more. I shouldn't analyze so much...especially while stoned.

I'm isolated like everyone else. This did not surprise me at all. I'm a retired medical person and know that contagions spread so much easier with population density. And the worlds population has run amuck just within my lifetime. Not saying this isn't a bad virus and a scary situation...just wasn't a big surprise when it snowballed.

Getting stoned myself right now. Thai/Malawi infused olive oil. Taking 5 cc an hour until I get too stoned to remember to do it. lol

Be safely stoned everyone!
John
Ha ha you will def get there my friend and yes who cares how we do it as long as we do.
Getting blitzed has never been easier in my case I think its old age and dementia ha ha.

Sforza

Veteran
This was my original method, but at the bottom of the page is an alternate method developed with some friends on this and other forums
Before sealing them in a vac bag I get the sweat started by wrapping the cobs loosely in a plastic bag in a warm/hot location, you should see the perspiration on the inside of the plastic bag and the cobs should feel wet/moist on the outside. Then vac seal the cobs in the vac bag.
I leave the cobs in the vac bag for between 1 and 3 weeks to sweat. When opened the smell should be a strong sickly sweet smell if the sweat was successful.
Then remove them and let them air dry in a cool dark place.
By the end of a week the outer skin is dry and stiff. The buds inside will have amalgamated to form a stick. This can then be stored for years in the usual way. The buds inside will need to be carved off and broken into rocks to be smoked the usual way.
The buds need to be dried to just dry on the outside but moist on the inside before compacting in the cob.

Tip: Once the cobs are cured dry them but not fully, so they are slightly moist in the centre, then store ina jar or vac seal them for long term storage. If you fully dry the cobs it stops any further curing. I have cobs vac sealed over 3 years old and they are still as good if not better than when first dried.
Below is some Malawi cob and buds cured this way plus the trichs after curing.[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=49641&pictureid=1214368&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58219&pictureid=1451856&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58219&pictureid=1461745&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

The trichs were clear and mostly cloudy before the cob cure

Since posting this a while ago some friends and I on another forum have developed a sure fire method to get good results.
You need a Yogurt maker $60 online, crockpot on minimum or any other regulated heat source heat mat ect
You make you cob as normal and vacuum seal it. I have used buds as fresh as 24hr after harvest through to smoke able dried.
Then put the sealed cob into the yogurt maker for 24hrs to 72hrs at 40c. You can go up to 60c or possibly even more but fermentation will be quicker.
Then remove the cob which will be wet and dry it to about 80% dry
Next re vacuum seal the semi dry cob for a month to further cold cure at 30c or room temp
After a month remove and dry to smoke able consistency
You can smoke it now but it will be very stony, if you reseal it for a further 2 months to age at room temp it will be the most potent and very clear.
You can vary the time in the yogurt maker even 48hrs is ok but the longer you sweat it for the darker the result. Darker cobs tend to be more narcotic but still very trippy
You can also vary the moisture content of the buds going into the cob in the first place to give differing results.
Its as simple as that and works every time as long as its vacuum sealed you will not get mold.

Thanks for including the updated method in your original post. I am going to have to try making another COB, now that I am growing again and have retired so no more drug tests at work and I will be able to sample my wares.

Latest posts

Latest posts