What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed is the only plant that has succeeded...

covert

A friend and I once debated about weed fom the context of a non smoker (he claims he is an ex-smoker) but I consider him a non smoker.

His argument was that cannabis was the only plant that had evolved to a point it's users became completely unconcerned about its highly addictive quality.

To the point they would swear on whatever was dear to them that it wasn't addictive or had negative properties at all.

He likened this to a fungus that succeeds by infiltrating an ant's brain and thereby using it to further its own reproductive aims.

He believes that cannabis is actually the ruler of the earth. That it’s ultimate aim is to grow freely everywhere around the world. That good men like him have been battling against the enslaved cannabis using masses who have become ensnared in the cannabis matrix.

Now I had to pause and when I saw it with the eye's of an alien pondering what is going on and making a documentary about it I could see what he was getting at.

Are we just mere ants whose brains a plant is controlling with its synthesised molecules?

Is it symbiosis?

Is he just plain wrong?

I had to say that I needed to think about it. Has anyone got a response to this argument? Is it an objective view?

I don't know. I just know it feels amazing to smoke it.....

EasyGoing

lol, your friend is a tard.

Cannabis isn't physically addictive. It's mentally addictive, but so is running.

Ruler of the Earth? You sure he doesn't think lizard aliens are the true ruler of the Earth? Please.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
outside of the fact that there is no psychical addicting mechanism there is a greater percentage of food people who suffer food "addiction" in our populous than those who are "addicted" to marijuana

from a standpoint of how it effects compulsion it more benign than modern foods

addiction is complex as there are several triggers some of which happen on a physical receptor level such as opiates and then become subject to a number of conditions that lead to unhealthy compulsion

compulsion is such that some people suffer it so badly they can get "addicted" to anything regardless of how innocent that behavior is

and then we have life condition which can force adaptive behaviors to compulsive levels.

suffer them all simultaneously and weed becomes a god send not a detriment and this is why the plant succeeds because it is so compatible with our physiology and helps us adapt equally regardless of phenotype

our evolution has been so hand in hand that our dna won't let us deny the value of the plant no matter how hard some of us try to demonize it

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want to ponder that thought more, check out the book BOTANY OF DESIRE.

Is the plant in control?
I think it’s a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
I smoke and eat everyday for at least 8 years, today I’m on day 5 without and I haven’t even thought about using since I attempted this break.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Is your friend Miley Cyrus per chance? She one of these motherfuckers who used to light up from dusk till dawn, then quit toking cause she realized she was smoking too much, now goes around telling other ppl to quit too, just cause she couldn't handle it. I don't like ppl like that. And I think weed will tell you when you've had enough. I smoked daily for 20 years or so, these days not so much, been high 5 or 6 times in 2018. It's not that addictive, some people are just wired that way. I have a pal who was a massive toker, drank a lot of coffee and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day. Then quit em all. Guess which one he said was the easiest habit to kick? Not to mention he's still addicted to beer and cheeseburgers, but 3 outta 5 ain't bad :) If you get a kick outta smoking weed, have at it.

herbgreen

Veteran
cannabis, opium poppies, tobacco, coca plant, tea, coffee

All these plants seem to have an evolutionary connection to humans that keep them propagated around the world....and in closets:biggrin:

I think cannabis is the one that ironically enough for the drug enforcement squares is actually uber medicinal in almost every way imaginable!

Its a "we help it" ..."It helps us" situation with cannabis

Some of the others are real killers and true addictions

One of my favorite topics actually!

I dont know about the mylar lined, hydroponic mother ship on its way to overgrow the human race?

cannabis and plants in general are friends of ours

Remember the twilight zone with telepathic alien who leaves a book with strange symbols that are eventually translated to read 'to serve man'

Its later revealed that its actually a 'cook book'

I dont think its quite like that but its very smart for us to be aware that this is a give and take

cannabis is using us to protect it and help it evolve

It helps us evolve spiritually and mentally and protects us by using it as a medicine

Its a theory anyway......:ying:

Mick

Veteran
A friend and I once debated about weed fom the context of a non smoker (he claims he is an ex-smoker) but I consider him a non smoker.

His argument was that cannabis was the only plant that had evolved to a point it's users became completely unconcerned about its highly addictive quality.

To the point they would swear on whatever was dear to them that it wasn't addictive or had negative properties at all.

He likened this to a fungus that succeeds by infiltrating an ant's brain and thereby using it to further its own reproductive aims.

He believes that cannabis is actually the ruler of the earth. That it’s ultimate aim is to grow freely everywhere around the world. That good men like him have been battling against the enslaved cannabis using masses who have become ensnared in the cannabis matrix.

Now I had to pause and when I saw it with the eye's of an alien pondering what is going on and making a documentary about it I could see what he was getting at.

Are we just mere ants whose brains a plant is controlling with its synthesised molecules?

Is it symbiosis?

Is he just plain wrong?

I had to say that I needed to think about it. Has anyone got a response to this argument? Is it an objective view?

I don't know. I just know it feels amazing to smoke it.....

Your post reminded me of a Joe Rogan interview with Robert Sapolsky, who's an expert on "symbiosis". They talk a lot about this and is a great listen.
When you consider that our bodies are 90% microbial and only 10% human, anything is possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obmt_PkIfBE&t=15s

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I very much agree there is a pervalent attitude that cannabis has no negative qualities, to the point where less consumption is never the answer, and often than not more is the best answer.

Going beyond the obvious "more burrito or more weed" scenario.

The answer there is both. Gumpian.

If you want to ponder that thought more, check out the book SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS.

Is the plant in control?
I think it’s a matter of perspective.

Botany of Desire.

I read that years ago. Last year it crept into an LSD trip and I almost wiped out my mums out of spite.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It can cause physical dependence, complete with withdrawal symptoms.
Harvard Medical School has many studies going back 20 years on this.
Physical addiction? No. Return to messed up, non-medicated, life with issues? Yep. And it can feel like physical issues.

As previously stated, it's as mentally addictive as Metroid, running, tennis, Dorkemon-go and all the other mental escape routines man has found to avoid their issues.

Feening for cannabis? Figure out which issue you're unaware of, the issue you did not know you were treating with cannabis. ;)

covert

What about Ghia plants ?

When it was a thing, there was Ghia everything.

I remember reading the manuals to my father's cars that were usually GL model Ford cars but there was indeed always that Ghia model.

We'd see the blank buttons in the console and dashboard and envied just a little bit the kids who were lucky enough to be sitting in one of those Ghia models and could see the buttons which did something cool.

EasyGoing

It can cause physical dependence, complete with withdrawal symptoms.
Harvard Medical School has many studies going back 20 years on this.

Got a link? Happened to be government funded?

Been smoking a long time, and I can go days on vacation without, and have zero effects. I guess I can only speak from personal experience then, and assume Harvard is correct. You know, the government also did studies on monkeys 100 years ago and they proved cannabis will cause severe mental retardation then death. Look it up. I would of course argue again, my personal experience doesn't reflect that study either.

soil margin

Veteran
If cannabis is the ruler of the Earth it's doing a pretty shitty job at it considering it's still highly illegal in the huge majority of countries. If I was ruling the Earth I'd probably make it legal for me to exist, but that's just me.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If cannabis is the ruler of the Earth it's doing a pretty shitty job at it considering it's still highly illegal in the huge majority of countries. If I was ruling the Earth I'd probably make it legal for me to exist, but that's just me.

Marijuana is the Aldobrandinis of the plant world.
It has to stay underground.

JK:laughing: