What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 13
So both the oils here I started with were opaque, goopy and very dark. Got off a friend for cheap.

I ran them both at the same time. I thin purged at 115 f and one of them stayed relatively clear. It stopped reacting at -29.9 so I flipped and repeated. (some parts are dark because I folded it over to fit my silicone container.) It is now hard rock candy.

The other oil was less willing to react at 115 degrees. It was waxy and opaque after thin purging. I used a heat gun and heated to 140-150 and whipped for about 2-3 mins... until it cooled down and became difficult to whip. I then turned my chamber up to 125 fpulled a -28 then -29 vac and let sit for about 2-3 hours. Got some nice honeycomb/crumble as seen in the 2nd pic. None stuck to the slick pad to scrape up either! Score

The color of both these oils was far worse to begin with so I am pleased w/ the final products in both cases.

Also I have tried two seperate times going for honeycomb at 140 f plus but had no success. All attempted samples ruined. If you are new to this and using a chamber instead of an oven, I recommend lower temps!

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 14

furrywall11

looking good DP. I had the same results @ 140...melted into a liquid that had no intention of turning into honeycomb.

GW does say that you can make shatter @ 115 for 60 minutes and I've had some success with that it's strain dependent.

looking good DP. I had the same results @ 140...melted into a liquid that had no intention of turning into honeycomb.

GW does say that you can make shatter @ 115 for 60 minutes and I've had some success with that it's strain dependent.

Ive had good success with this method. Not 60 minutes though. I do 115 (actual temps maybe more like 110 as i set my heatpad to 115) until no/little reaction at -29.5 and then flip and repeat. Depends on the oil but this one was done in a lil over an hour. Maybe 35% of the oils I get wax up in this process, but it is these that I then whip and make honeycomb.
I honestly prefer the honeycomb too. Easier to handle.

I have no clue how they are getting anything nice looking at sustained temps of 140+.

Last edited:
So here is an idea of the stuff I start with, Mother of Berrie Oil. Very rough form. With minimal efforts and the technique I've described I get consistent honeycomb.

(first two pics are starting material, last 3 are the final product (after thin film purge, short whip and 125f -25 - -29 HG vac for 3

This could have been shatter, but I forgot my Digital Heat Pad was set to 125 from last time (during thin film purge) and it started to wax up at that temp. When I see wax I get excited anyways because its an excuse to get whipping and make some crumble cookies!

Attachments

• IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I am harvesting my Green Poision plant today and she has some nanners, So i will get to blast a bunch of my own oil! I am curious to see what colors I'll get when I am in control of the starting material!

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 8
B

bigganjabud

So both the oils here I started with were opaque, goopy and very dark. Got off a friend for cheap.

I ran them both at the same time. I thin purged at 115 f and one of them stayed relatively clear. It stopped reacting at -29.9 so I flipped and repeated. (some parts are dark because I folded it over to fit my silicone container.) It is now hard rock candy.

The other oil was less willing to react at 115 degrees. It was waxy and opaque after thin purging. I used a heat gun and heated to 140-150 and whipped for about 2-3 mins... until it cooled down and became difficult to whip. I then turned my chamber up to 125 fpulled a -28 then -29 vac and let sit for about 2-3 hours. Got some nice honeycomb/crumble as seen in the 2nd pic. None stuck to the slick pad to scrape up either! Score

The color of both these oils was far worse to begin with so I am pleased w/ the final products in both cases.

Also I have tried two seperate times going for honeycomb at 140 f plus but had no success. All attempted samples ruined. If you are new to this and using a chamber instead of an oven, I recommend lower temps!

Loving the crumble lookin pic bro can't wait to see what return you get out of your green poison !!!!

furrywall11

damn brotarius, that GP looks great!! Last year I got to blast lbs of nug run. I paid my worker to crumble up colas 9 hours a day for a week straight...he could never get over the idea of crumbling nugs..had a wtf look on his face the whole time!! lol
but it was worth it...you can get this white peach colored honeycomb that is just insane

damn brotarius, that GP looks great!! Last year I got to blast lbs of nug run. I paid my worker to crumble up colas 9 hours a day for a week straight...he could never get over the idea of crumbling nugs..had a wtf look on his face the whole time!! lol
but it was worth it...you can get this white peach colored honeycomb that is just insane

Could you elaborate on crumble the nugs?

Dab Strudel

but like bro was saying..when you have good material its easy as...

View attachment 332690

View attachment 332691

View attachment 332692

4....ooops..

View attachment 332694

I mean 4...

View attachment 332693

Haha, I see what you do, Ive gotta try it that way. its so tough for me to find the vac point and I end up popping the muffin, then i get goo :( I know what you mean about getting goo when you use too high of heat, That means you didnt whip it long enough. whip it again and for a little longer. It sucks to do it twice because of all the shit you kill but its better than goo. Ill give that method a shot this week I got some Purple TW that I know wont set up proper the way I do it, Its worth trying a new method haha

Yea man. The lower temps seem to be more forgiving at the very least. I haven't had any batches ruined at 125 f 2-5 hours, and FurryW goes even lower and slower than I do...

So i got quite a good yield off that Green Poison from Sweet Seeds. Extremely crystally material, in fact most crystally I've seen in a very long time! it is curing now for blasting. Have some trim and popcorn quick drying for some runs I hope to start this weekend or early next week.

Here is the starting material, see the amber?

Attachments

• P1050605
    P1050605
    107.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9

Dab Strudel

So i got quite a good yield off that Green Poison from Sweet Seeds. Extremely crystally material, in fact most crystally I've seen in a very long time! it is curing now for blasting. Have some trim and popcorn quick drying for some runs I hope to start this weekend or early next week.

Here is the starting material, see the amber?

I want to run something by you... the process of curing is for some of the resin glands to over ripen and pop, producing a pungent smell. IMO youd be better off running after drying, say skip the cure fore yee are going to pop a small amount of glands in the process of vacuuming, why hurt it any more.. People forget that whats good for the goose isnt always good for the gander... Ask around and give my detail if folks dont agree before you take their word for it. Not everyone is as informed as they would like to think they are.

furrywall11

I'd have to agree. There's a sweet spot about a week after drying..wow..off-white peach..I've seen a slight reduction in quality after that. Which isn't to say you can't get amazing extracts two or even six months out.

Good to know guys! Thanks!
I want to be able to smoke/show off these nugs as well, thus the cure.
I have a good amount fast drying too that I will freeze and blast one sufficiently dry