What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED's too close?

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hello friends!

My first time posting in the infirmary! Ha!

Got a slight problem that I'm about 95% sure is the light being too intense, but just wanted to get a few other eyes on it. I've been seeing this the last few grows since I setup my new tent but it's only been this one strain, so it looks to be some kind of genetic thing because this plant is an S1 of that plant and it's doing it also...

Some details...

3 Gallon pots of Fresh Pro-Mix BX - RO Water - GH FloraNova - Nute mix PH'd to 6.3 - I've only watered her once when I transplanted her and used the "early grow" formula on the flora nova grow chart which includes, Grow, Rapid Start, Floralicious Plus & Cal Mag, So she's only had one mild feeding (450-600ppm) and looks super lush and healthy otherwise. No stunted growth or any other weirdness that I can see. I've raised the lights since then, and It doesn't appear that really new growth is doing it anymore, but it will take some time/growth too see. In previous runs, it usually stops on its own and never really causes any issues, it just looks bad.. The branched growth underneath doesn't have this issues, so yeah.. pretty sure its light intensity... It is super bright in there!

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After reading blynx's led thread I went crazy and did a run with like 40 15w screw in leds in a 2x4ft chamber and sunburned a few ladies. Mine looked similar to yours at first and developed extensive burn streaks pretty quickly. Pulled out the leds and popped my 400w hid back in and they flowered just fine. Still planning to try my screw in leds at some point though but will use a smaller number of bulbs and increase the height above canopy. Good luck they look pretty happy overall

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks for the response, brother! Yeah, I have 4 strips with 4x100w bulbs per strip. Well, actually one of them only has 3 because of my filter duct, but yeah.. 15 100 watters. The strip with only 3 is up much higher though, because i got couple of DWC buckets below it.... But still, It's probably little too hot for those babies. The genes inside cookies related stuff does not like intense light it seems... I'm learning this. That's also the reason you see some cookies super purple and others very green with only slight purpling.. light intensity!!

I've got them 16 inches above right now, but I might kick it up a couple more inches.

Thanks for chiming in and confirming!

Hey thanks for the response, brother! Yeah, I have 4 strips with 4x100w bulbs per strip. Well, actually one of them only has 3 because of my filter duct, but yeah.. 15 100 watters. The strip with only 3 is up much higher though, because i got couple of DWC buckets below it.... But still, It's probably little too hot for those babies. The genes inside cookies related stuff does not like intense light it seems... I'm learning this. That's also the reason you see some cookies super purple and others very green with only slight purpling.. light intensity!!

I've got them 16 inches above right now, but I might kick it up a couple more inches.

Thanks for chiming in and confirming!

Np bro I made the mistake of thinking leds could hover right above the canopy as so many pics seem to show but it did not work out too well haha. Never grown cookies before but smoked some in colorado that's some killer smoke good luck!:tiphat:

Sport Farmer

Veteran
What's interesting, is that the plant above it in the bottom photo is actually related to it but did not have the same reaction to the light. It droops like its over watered when the light is too intense. It's actually a good indicator for where to set your lights!

Thanks again for your response!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts