What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

quarter strength nutes..but cal mag?

Chrono2

so ive been giving my plants quarter strength nutes and today i noticed 3 (all in different tents oddly) showing signs of what i identify as cal and mag deficiency, ive been giving them quarter strength nutes and that includes the cal mag, obviously i upd the cal mag a little bit for today, but im wondering should i be giving them full strength cal mag always??(the cal mag recommends 1 ml / liter ive been using 5-6ml in a 20 litre batch of water)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cal mag is salt and nitrogen. Can you boost your nutes, add epsom (which is nothing but beneficial) and use some other non-nitrate/chloride based calcium supplement?

Cal mag is a rather poor quality product.

maimunji

Cal mag is salt and nitrogen. Can you boost your nutes, add epsom (which is nothing but beneficial) and use some other non-nitrate/chloride based calcium supplement?

Cal mag is a rather poor quality product.

Is there non nitrate calcium supplement? Gypsum? How good is this in coco? Any more info will be great.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Listening to DC is a great way to wander down the garden path to nowhere.

Quarter strength nutrients is near impossible to quantify without knowing the given strength and starting water qualities. EC is a universal measurement in mS/cm2.

What EC? pH? Frequency of watering? Pictures?

Chrono2

Listening to DC is a great way to wander down the garden path to nowhere.

Quarter strength nutrients is near impossible to quantify without knowing the given strength and starting water qualities. EC is a universal measurement in mS/cm2.

What EC? pH? Frequency of watering? Pictures?

dont know ec, but i was around 250 ppm with 3 part micro/gro/bloom + cal mag all 1/4 strength ( 5-6ml / 20 litre)

i upped it to about 7 ml of each and 350 ppm last night and watering everyday to 10% run off, sorry if this doesnt help much but basically what i need to know is should i be cutting back my cal mag at all? in proportion to my other nutes? not at all?

Chrono2

i can clearly identify its a mobile deficiency, it matches calcium and magnesium deficiencies, its certainly not just one deficiency, and like i said i have been cutting back my cal mag to 1/4 recommended so i wasnt surprised that it matched up to those two, but what i dont know is how do i prevent it in the future

I mean, lets not make this complicated. If your seeing cal/mag deficiency and are feeding at 1/4 bottle recommended strength, it stands to reason that you simply need to bump up your cal mag a little bit.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would raise the base to 500ppm and keep the CaMg where you have it.

How old are the plants? When using just micro and bloom with the head formula it comes out to around 600-700ppm or 1.2-1.4ec depending on start water. I’d say quit fucking with the cal mag period and just up your base to 1.0-1.2ec. If you do that and keep ph in check you will have plenty of cal and mag from just your base

Chrono2

How old are the plants? When using just micro and bloom with the head formula it comes out to around 600-700ppm or 1.2-1.4ec depending on start water. I’d say quit fucking with the cal mag period and just up your base to 1.0-1.2ec. If you do that and keep ph in check you will have plenty of cal and mag from just your base

they are about 25-35 days old (youngest - oldest) and my starting water is 6 ppm (RO water)

I assumed you were in coco...lol my bad. What are you using? People have great results with only the micro and bloom...have you heard of the head formula? I used it for years and years and had great consistent results. Only switched recently because I was given a shit ton of veg+bloom and I’m loving it. But yea at that age, in coco, you could easily be feeding 1.0 I’d even go 1.2

Chrono2

uped the calmag a little and uped the nutes as well and that seems to have fixed it for now, they got there weekly flush today and are def looking better and the UK cheese that had serious cal mag deficiency signs has stopped getting worse