What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help. 1st grow

PEIslandGrow

Hey everyone. I seem to have very bushy plants and am getting some brown tips on most leaves. I was feeding around 700 ppm but since I had high ppms in runoff I've backed off on the nutes a couple weeks ago and been feeding between 200ppm and 500ppm. I am using RO water and was using 5.8-6.0 ph but my runoff was 5.3ph and high ppms and the brown spots were starting. So lately I've been going 6.1-6.4ph and the runoff has been the same. Also I'm getting 100-200ppm. The plants seem stunted lately however. Today I moved my LED lights further away hoping it was associated with that. Nearly 3 feet away from the tops. I'm lost.

Attachments

• 20180309_193520.jpg
    20180309_193520.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180309_193624.jpg
    20180309_193624.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180309_193707.jpg
    20180309_193707.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180309_193740.jpg
    20180309_193740.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180309_193806.jpg
    20180309_193806.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 17

sticking

Looks healthy to me, nice bushy plants, just slight nute burn but no big deal. What LEDs are you using? 3 feet sounds much. Ive never grown coco but 6.4 is in the higher range, you shuld probably lower slightly but wait for someone with experience to answear that.

Miraculous Meds

Its likely salt build up from the medium drying out. Water more often and see if that doesn't clear it up. I like 600pm or 1 to 1.2ec, 5.8 to 6.2ph. If your run off is over 900, flush down to 700, with 500ppm feed water. Don't even worry or measure your run off ph, its not accurate for whats in the medium, and will lead you to trying to make ph corrections that will cause problems.

G

Gr33nSanta

Hey everyone. I seem to have very bushy plants and am getting some brown tips on most leaves. I was feeding around 700 ppm but since I had high ppms in runoff I've backed off on the nutes a couple weeks ago and been feeding between 200ppm and 500ppm. I am using RO water and was using 5.8-6.0 ph but my runoff was 5.3ph and high ppms and the brown spots were starting. So lately I've been going 6.1-6.4ph and the runoff has been the same. Also I'm getting 100-200ppm. The plants seem stunted lately however. Today I moved my LED lights further away hoping it was associated with that. Nearly 3 feet away from the tops. I'm lost.

you did the right thing, I always prefer to let plants grow to the light VS having them too close.

Look up supersoil recipe subcool, this is how I started growing organically years ago and I now make my own soil recipe using nothing but vermicompost and perlite but it takes all the guess work out, no ph-ing, no ppm-ing, water only, and great end product. The less food, the better, good luck my friend in this long journey, you can always checkout my journal in my signature to see how I roll, every body has their ways, be open to everyone s way and come up with your own growing style, again, good luck.

PEIslandGrow

Thanks. Someone told me I need epsom salt but I use Green Planet nutrients Pro-Cal and I don't see a magnesium deficiency. I water every day to run off and my runoff lately is 120ppm. Like I said I flushed them a couple weeks ago and have been going very light on nutes. The LED is the Meizhi 600w reflector series. The tips being burnt lately and short plants were making me think the light is too much.

Anyone have tips on what I can do about runoff after I put a scrog in? I won't be able to lift the pots out so kinda need to come up with ideas.

Miraculous Meds

Thanks. Someone told me I need epsom salt but I use Green Planet nutrients Pro-Cal and I don't see a magnesium deficiency. I water every day to run off and my runoff lately is 120ppm. Like I said I flushed them a couple weeks ago and have been going very light on nutes. The LED is the Meizhi 600w reflector series. The tips being burnt lately and short plants were making me think the light is too much.

Anyone have tips on what I can do about runoff after I put a scrog in? I won't be able to lift the pots out so kinda need to come up with ideas.

If your run off is only 200ppm, that's going to cause a large problem with cec. the medium naturally draws ca and mg, and releases K. Don't feed more ca and mg though, simply keep the medium wet and charged with 1.2ec nutrient, and they will have all the ca and mg needed, while the k stays where its at, because your keeping the medium wet with fresh well balanced nutrient water. When you flushed below 300 or 400 ppm you broke the bond of having enough ca and mg to displace the extra K in the coir. Now your going to see the results of K tox, which will show mg def, and several other things. Don't freak and do anything else except feed the correct strength, and keep them from not drying out and the cec banks will replenish in time.

Flood table with a drain to a bucket or tote to sump out or shop vac out in small amounts. That way you don't have to run plumbing if you don't want to. You can use saucers with risers. Cut a piece of the riser out so you can shop vac out the riser. If its going to be significant work, id plumb it, or make it easy to just use a sump pump to drain quickly.

Buddler

Veteran

OR go getto get some cheap totes from wally word and some old oven racks or what have you, put them on those now you can catch all your runoff and as above shop vac to empty or a lil aquarium pump.i use the short ones for more head room in the tent..:joint:

PEIslandGrow

I didn't buy a meter that does EC. I searched for charts and I got 600ppm for what you said. Made a feed today the recommended amounts to 3/4 strength and it tested as 612ppm and used GH ph up to 5.94ph.

My nutrients say to alternate feed with water. Lately I've been doing 400-500 alternating with 100-200ppm. Should I go back to ph'd water and alternate with 600ppm or feed the same every day?

Also noticed that most new growth is non symmetrical now. Time to flip?

The zyme caps are a bitch for coco. I have no ability to make 40L at once so I did math and broke em up into lines with my credit card lol

Attachments

• PSX_20180310_173829.jpg
    PSX_20180310_173829.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20180310_175009.jpg
    PSX_20180310_175009.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11

PEIslandGrow

you did the right thing, I always prefer to let plants grow to the light VS having them too close.

Look up supersoil recipe subcool, this is how I started growing organically years ago and I now make my own soil recipe using nothing but vermicompost and perlite but it takes all the guess work out, no ph-ing, no ppm-ing, water only, and great end product. The less food, the better, good luck my friend in this long journey, you can always checkout my journal in my signature to see how I roll, every body has their ways, be open to everyone s way and come up with your own growing style, again, good luck.

I have seen it and looked into Klackamas Coot's recipe or whatever his name is. I do want to go this route but have no way to cook it until summer. I live in eastern Canada. However I did pasteurize my coco in the oven because I saw larvae crawling in the GH cocotek after 3 days in seedlings. Treated with diatomaceous earth and haven't seen them since. :)

Miraculous Meds

Definitely feed 500 to 600 ppm every single time. You can get away with variations in between, but you will run a greater chance of breaking your cec. Cation exchange capability. Without at least 300 to 400 ppm of base hydro nutes, you will not have enough ca and mg to displace the k that will leach out of the medium without its cation balance. Hope that helps explain why too low nutrient or water only feeds can become problematic vs just feeding 500 to 600ppm all the time.

Latest posts

Latest posts