What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gene Traders Ludlow Mass Sunday Jan 14th

Don't overthink things at this point. Just stop fertilizing so much, you are over doing it. Feed, water, water is a good schedule in pots. Anything you add to the mix at this point will do more harm than good.

If things still look like a basket case in a day or two, completely flush out the pots with tons of water, and that should help stabilize the soil better. In pots keep the salt levels LOW.

Facelesdoll

You know its so sad when someone appreciated the delicatessen of flavor and the pioneership of great strains but the flower you want to see doesn't exist to you and neither are the genetics available of said strains. I am searching for the so too and some ma-ss, Indiana bubble, arcata wreck! I mean dang.... Forget sour. Would love it but can't find it and have to forget it. My outdoors did alright. Used some freebies, didn't keep track of strain names and lined the winners. Who has literature or links to proper outdoor garden requirements or soil amendment recipes? Thanks!

I harvested my outdoor plants yesterday and today, and they yielded quite a bit more than i was expecting. Trimming it by hand by myself is way too much work, so i was wondering if anyone has or knows of someone who has a good trimming machine because i will pay a fair price to have it run through a trimmer because it's so much easier than doing it by hand. Until i get enough money to buy a really nice trimming machine, it's really my only option. I've looked at some in the $150-$600 price range but most of them don't have any reviews or are too cheap and lack quality, but if someone has any experience with them i would appreciate it.

You know its so sad when someone appreciated the delicatessen of flavor and the pioneership of great strains but the flower you want to see doesn't exist to you and neither are the genetics available of said strains. I am searching for the so too and some ma-ss, Indiana bubble, arcata wreck! I mean dang.... Forget sour. Would love it but can't find it and have to forget it. My outdoors did alright. Used some freebies, didn't keep track of strain names and lined the winners. Who has literature or links to proper outdoor garden requirements or soil amendment recipes? Thanks!

You might not find the exact cuts you are looking for, but there are a lot of good genetics (clones and seed wise) at these events and to be had from other places.

I have yet to try any clone that is clearly better than all the others. I mean sure, i have my preferences like everyone else but there are so many good varieties to try and honestly sometimes i've been let down by strains that are supposed to be the bees knees and ended up enjoying lesser known cuts better. I've also grown phenos from seed that were as good as the elite cuts i've grown, so don't let the hype of a most of these clones get to you.

I got a clone that is a cross of Indiana BG and GSC at the last Gene Traders event, and i know there were tons of different seed strains and crosses there. If you go to one or two of these events, you're bound to find some stuff you really like man.

I just keep picking up clones and some seeds that i am interested in, growing them out and keeping the ones i like the best. That is why i would recommend doing. The more you try, the more likely you are to find something that suits your taste.

Facelesdoll

Don't get me wrong I have probably found seed strains just as good as clone only's just sad I have and likely will never get the honor of trying strawberry cough and a lot of the signature twerp strains that everyone should get to try before they die.

Don't get me wrong I have probably found seed strains just as good as clone only's just sad I have and likely will never get the honor of trying strawberry cough and a lot of the signature twerp strains that everyone should get to try before they die.

I get what you mean. There are some strains i would really like as well that i just can't seem to find and it can be frustrating sometimes. The main issue is that the industry in general is booming so there are so many new "strains of the week" coming out constantly that a lot of the great classic cuts get left behind and forgot about by a lot of people, especially newer growers who buy into the hype of every new strain.

A lot of the "classic" cuts like ECSD, Green Crack, Aloha WW, Strawberry Cough, SFV OG, Bubba Kush, Trainwreck, GDP, Urkle, etc (i could go on and on) are very hard to find. Honestly the amount of good cuts out there these days is overwhelming.

Alright, so i clearly messed up and made some big mistakes on my outdoor grow as mentioned earlier in the thread, but the outdoor grow is done now so i'm moving on/focusing on my indoor grow right now and i need some help.

As mentioned earlier, i use FF Ocean Forest mixed with some FF Happy Frog and a little bit of chunky perlite mainly and this time i don't want to mess it up/have deficiencies/toxicities/etc. so what should i use for nutrients?

Now one thing i just realized is that i put the plants in there "flowering" containers pretty early (like 3-4+ weeks before flowering) which i'm assuming means that the plants run out of the nutrients that are in the soil before/right around when flowering starts and then i have been feeding synthetic nutes (GH Flora Bloom, GH Flora Micro, GH Armor Si, GH KoolBloom in flowering, sometimes GH Floralicious Plus, GH CaliMagic or Epsom Salt and a few random things like blackstrap molasses, etc.).

I'm assuming what i should do is wait right until i'm about to flower to transplant into the flowering containers? That way they have nutes from the soil mix for atleast the first month or so of the flowering phase?

What i do after that is really what i need to know. Like what should i use for nutrients with that soil mixture and when. I know you guys have recommended using organic stuff but i'm still a little overwhelmed due to the sheer amount of different organic nutes/ammendments and would just like to have a solid but fairly simple "gameplan" this grow.

Basically i guess just tell me what you would personally use/recommend in this situation. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

P.S. what do you think about my soil mix? Should i just use plain ocean forest or is the 2:1 mixture of OF and Happy Frog ok to use? Should i add anything else to the mix? Like i know some people add dolomite lime or EWC's, etc. I noticed the dolomite lime seems to be pretty important according to some people and if so, how much should i add to my mix?

Thanks! And apologies for cluttering the thread and for the long rambling posts. Because of my tourettes/ocd/hyperactivity once i get typing i practically type a book lol.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Sent SI2 a pm. I've got a bowl trimmer he can use and am pretty close by. Never tried it on dry trim but it looks to work about the same as commercial jobs. I went back to bucking at harvest and doing the finish trim when breaking it out of jars after cure and storage. Everyone has their own way of getting the job done.

Yep, thanks Z. This is what i like about the icmag community. People helping other people out and i will make sure to give you something for your troubles and try to continue paying it forward.

BTW, this is random but i got a bunch of equipment from a guy on Facebook for like $75. The main things being a Raptor 6" AC hood, a Magnum XXXL 8" Gen 3 AC Hood and a Dominator XXXL 6" AC Hood. He even threw in an Intermatic T104 and an Intermatic T104R electromechanical timers and a bunch of other random things but anyways i have a problem:

When i talked to him, he said all i needed was the glass lens for the hoods, but it turns out they all are missing the entire glass frame assemblies which irritates me because they are pretty expensive, but on top of that they discontinued the Raptor 6" hood and the parts for it so i can't even find the one for the raptor, just the lens itself. I'm trying to see if Hydrofarm will replace it, but they want a proof of purchase or receipt which i don't have obviously. So i have 3 nice hoods that i can't even use until i get the frame assemblies which sucks.

I know it's probably unlikely but if someone has any of the frame assemblies for those hoods that they are willing to sell/trade let me know. I found the frame assembly for the Magnum for cheap, but even the cheapest shipping is $50.

Or if someone has the entire hoods they want to part with i might just do that. The Raptor 6 and 8" hoods and Magnum XXXL 6 or 8 inch Gen 3's are mainly what i'm looking for.

I'm looking into getting a used 1000W dimmable ballast to go with them too. My hydrofarm powerhouse 1000w magnetic has served me well for 13 years and is reliable as hell, but it's time to upgrade to a dimmable so i can save power, avoid hot starts when i get power outages, use any bulbs i want (i have to use MH conversion bulbs on my powerhouse), have a much lighter and smaller ballast with less heat, etc.

I don't know what you guys would recommend, but i've looked at the SolisTek matrix's, Nanolux OG's, Galaxy dimmables, Phantom II's, etc. I don't know which is best, but they all seem around the same price point. I was thinking of eventually getting a DE Gavita setup, but i know you need quite a bit of height and i don't know how much better they work compared to a good SE dimmable setup.

I think i need to get a new tent(s) eventually because the 4 x 4 i bought for cheap on amazon seems to cause issues with the plants, which makes me think it's maybe not "non-toxic" like they claim. The gorilla tents are nice, but expensive. I do like how they have the height extension options/other accessories and their quality, but are there other brands worth buying that aren't cheaply made?

Facelesdoll

I would consider using a half ratio of the ingredients list below.

I would consider using a half ratio of the ingredients list below.

Alright, so i clearly messed up and made some big mistakes on my outdoor grow as mentioned earlier in the thread, but the outdoor grow is done now so i'm moving on/focusing on my indoor grow right now and i need some help.

As mentioned earlier, i use FF Ocean Forest mixed with some FF Happy Frog and a little bit of chunky perlite mainly and this time i don't want to mess it up/have deficiencies/toxicities/etc. so what should i use for nutrients?

Now one thing i just realized is that i put the plants in there "flowering" containers pretty early (like 3-4+ weeks before flowering) which i'm assuming means that the plants run out of the nutrients that are in the soil before/right around when flowering starts and then i have been feeding synthetic nutes (GH Flora Bloom, GH Flora Micro, GH Armor Si, GH KoolBloom in flowering, sometimes GH Floralicious Plus, GH CaliMagic or Epsom Salt and a few random things like blackstrap molasses, etc.).

I'm assuming what i should do is wait right until i'm about to flower to transplant into the flowering containers? That way they have nutes from the soil mix for atleast the first month or so of the flowering phase?

What i do after that is really what i need to know. Like what should i use for nutrients with that soil mixture and when. I know you guys have recommended using organic stuff but i'm still a little overwhelmed due to the sheer amount of different organic nutes/ammendments and would just like to have a solid but fairly simple "gameplan" this grow.

Basically i guess just tell me what you would personally use/recommend in this situation. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

P.S. what do you think about my soil mix? Should i just use plain ocean forest or is the 2:1 mixture of OF and Happy Frog ok to use? Should i add anything else to the mix? Like i know some people add dolomite lime or EWC's, etc. I noticed the dolomite lime seems to be pretty important according to some people and if so, how much should i add to my mix?

Thanks! And apologies for cluttering the thread and for the long rambling posts. Because of my tourettes/ocd/hyperactivity once i get typing i practically type a book lol.

I would add 1/3 dose of tomatone ,rock dust, lime, etc as the instructions say but cut it in thirds.just my 2cents

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

I don't see why not, Dutch Passion still sells Strawberry Cough the original cut was Strawberry Fields out of Vermont, but I'm pretty sure Dutch Passion was the original company to release Strawberry Cough.

Sure some people say Dutch Passion sucks these days, but I hear other companies suck that are top notch IME. Definitely can't believe everything you hear, especially when there is so much money involved in seeds, I've definitely seen some shady shit over the years. Of course when you have hacks like Subfool putting down DJ Short and Dutch Passion you come to realize that it's all about the money for most also helps you realize that you can get pretty good weed from chucking pollen of one good strain to another without doing any real work and people will love you, like Subfool. :biggrin:

The flavor of the week thing gets me like how I have never gotten a GSC that actually tasted like cookies and really didn't taste very unique as I've had them flavors before in much older strains. Then you have Tangie which has been a flavor since way the fuck back, but DNA brought it back to the spotlight. Just recently seen some dude spend a lot of money on a cut of Lemon Tree, but I must say, lemony tasting weed is not a new thing at all.

Really seems more like old genetics are just being rebranded for the most part.

I don't see why not, Dutch Passion still sells Strawberry Cough the original cut was Strawberry Fields out of Vermont, but I'm pretty sure Dutch Passion was the original company to release Strawberry Cough.

Sure some people say Dutch Passion sucks these days, but I hear other companies suck that are top notch IME. Definitely can't believe everything you hear, especially when there is so much money involved in seeds, I've definitely seen some shady shit over the years. Of course when you have hacks like Subfool putting down DJ Short and Dutch Passion you come to realize that it's all about the money for most also helps you realize that you can get pretty good weed from chucking pollen of one good strain to another without doing any real work and people will love you, like Subfool. :biggrin:

The flavor of the week thing gets me like how I have never gotten a GSC that actually tasted like cookies and really didn't taste very unique as I've had them flavors before in much older strains. Then you have Tangie which has been a flavor since way the fuck back, but DNA brought it back to the spotlight. Just recently seen some dude spend a lot of money on a cut of Lemon Tree, but I must say, lemony tasting weed is not a new thing at all.

Really seems more like old genetics are just being rebranded for the most part.

Is Subcool's stuff really that bad? Of course the stock photos of his strains look great, and i've seen some good stuff grown from his stock and used in crosses and stuff, but stock photos obviously don't mean shit so i'd like to hear about the quality of his stuff.

At the most recent Gene Traders in Plymouth one of the booths were selling subcool's stuff and i was thinking about grabbing something of his but didn't. I ended up buying the last VIP bag they had instead and got Burning Man from Exotic Genetix, half-packs of Pre-98 Bubba Kush S1 and Mendocino Cookies Regular from Twenty20 Mendocino and lastly 5 reg seeds of "BDU" from someone named "Johnnydropaseed".

Anyone have any opinions on those companies? Exotic Genetix seems to be a bigger/more well known company and from the little i've seen, there stuff looks really good but it's always good to hear what other growers have to say. Twnety20 Mendocino's gear looks great from the pics they have on their IG, but i don't really know anything about the company.

Not trying to be a dick but is this thread for Gene trader events or personal grows? :tiphat:

This thread literally gets 0 traffic practically. If it bothers you that much, then why do you read it? No one posted a single thing about the last Gene Traders event until i did like a few days before hand. I had to hear about it from the guys at Plymouth County Growers less than a week before the event, because literally no one posted about it in here.

Basically this is the only "massachusetts/NE" traders/chat thread, and it's good to ask other MA growers for outdoor growing tips because obviously we get pretty specific weather here and the region is pretty unique.

Whatever, i'll stop posting if it bothers everyone, but so far only you two (and the other guy was waiting in the shadows with his opinion, and only jumped in because his master (you apparently) said something).

Basically, i've been trying to keep the thread alive so people don't forget about it and i DO post about the Gene Traders events when they are announced, so i don't get what the big deal is or why it bothers you.

EDIT: also, as you can see i'm not the only one posting about other stuff. Others (as well as me) have posted about genetics and other things not related to the Gene Traders events. It seems everyone is getting along fine,