What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis strains for insomnia?

mushroombrew

Veteran
Terpenes are not fully understood. The entourage effect. Much left to learn.

What we do know is CBN induces sleep. Mature flower will have more. Basically old material too. I have thought about degrading THC with heat/light. Ruins the high but does improve sleep.

I would stay away from Dutch crap. American west coast genetics are often couch lock. vs Cheese and UK cuts. Those UK heads like a sativa buzz.

Americans are way to stressed out from too many episodes of the Kardashians and cannot handle sativa a high lol! You must have to
be smashed out your mind to watch that crap. True OG=Sleep

Second question, who/what lead you to believe that letting broad leaves and BL Hybrids longer would give you that so linearly? It's a plant! She doesn't care what you think, she does what she wants/ she's wired to do biologically and for this conversation Chemically.

but it wont hurt, as most poeple pull weeks too early:dance013:

yes all the dutch are crap, so are the americans, so are the swiss everything in between, everything is crap, good now thats off my chest, whats good? :biggrin:

Rondon

For trying to get some sleep? Thats easy. Cataract Kush or L.a. Confidential from DNA Seeds for sure. Or the clone only LA Affie or Bubba Kush. Any of these 4 narco couchlock indicas will have you sawing logs in no time. These are the go to strains for sleep. My patients and I all agree. Heavy heavy shit.

G

Gr33nSanta

I am a good sleeper, typical pothead, the minute I lay my head on the pillow I am sleeping.

However, my partner has a hard time sleeping, she goes through phases. She has started to experiment with my pills I make with 2 females candida (medical marijuana seeds), both females out of 3 tested very high CBD and very low THC. So far it is promising, she is unsure that the pills help her fall asleep but they, for sure, help her sleep through the night once she is asleep.

For me, I can say that this cultivar has very potent effects against thc, I can go for months without recalling a dream but almost every single time I smoke her before bed time I have very vivid dreams, as vivid as if I had taken a break from smoking weed for days.

You see, if you are a chronic user, and you stop for a few days, the dreaming part of your brain becomes hyperactive and it makes for very surreal dreams. This is the simplest non scientific explanation but it seems to be true for most stoners.

If you agree and have had similar experiences please share!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I am a good sleeper, typical pothead, the minute I lay my head on the pillow I am sleeping.

However, my partner has a hard time sleeping, she goes through phases. She has started to experiment with my pills I make with 2 females candida (medical marijuana seeds), both females out of 3 tested very high CBD and very low THC. So far it is promising, she is unsure that the pills help her fall asleep but they, for sure, help her sleep through the night once she is asleep.

For me, I can say that this cultivar has very potent effects against thc, I can go for months without recalling a dream but almost every single time I smoke her before bed time I have very vivid dreams, as vivid as if I had taken a break from smoking weed for days.

You see, if you are a chronic user, and you stop for a few days, the dreaming part of your brain becomes hyperactive and it makes for very surreal dreams. This is the simplest non scientific explanation but it seems to be true for most stoners.

If you agree and have had similar experiences please share!

I haven't had any experience with CBD rich strains personally so I can't relate to whether or not they void out the side effects of THC for me but I can definitely agree that smoking does decrease my dream activity. The trade off is that I get to sleep easier, wake up less during the night, sleep longer and generally get a much better quality of sleep. I'm not sure if I'm dreaming but just don't remember it but taking a break definitely perks up the dream activity. Often times I have vivid nightmares and would rather not dream at all.

St. Phatty

My experience is that there is more to the effects of Cannabis than the "Indica = couchlock, Sativa = stimulant" concept.

I usually start the day with a Sat dom - but often smoke an Indica dom by the time I get around to the third puff/ mini-bowl.

At night, e.g. midnight snack time 10 AM to 3 PM, I often smoke a Sat-dom because it just plain works, in terms of helping me get back to sleep.

I think VARIETY is the main thing people need for their Cannabis supply.

JustSumTomatoes

My experience is that there is more to the effects of Cannabis than the "Indica = couchlock, Sativa = stimulant" concept.

I usually start the day with a Sat dom - but often smoke an Indica dom by the time I get around to the third puff/ mini-bowl.

At night, e.g. midnight snack time 10 AM to 3 PM, I often smoke a Sat-dom because it just plain works, in terms of helping me get back to sleep.

I think VARIETY is the main thing people need for their Cannabis supply.

Variety certainly is a nice thing to have. Does it even matter to you if it is Indica or Sativa or do you find that one tends to have certain effects vs the other? I've always preferred Indica hybrids but am considering growing some sativa as well just because a few have mentioned it helps with sleep for them better than Indicas.

St. Phatty

Variety certainly is a nice thing to have. Does it even matter to you if it is Indica or Sativa or do you find that one tends to have certain effects vs the other? I've always preferred Indica hybrids but am considering growing some sativa as well just because a few have mentioned it helps with sleep for them better than Indicas.

More than anything, I like one hit sh-t.

I only ever take one hit. That usually does the trick, smoking bud, not concentrate.

Personally I like a "full spectrum high", which combines mental stimulation with physical relaxation.

I find that Sativa-dom's can deliver both. Less sure about Indica-doms but I still smoke them.

Someday I'll post a picture of my Tupperware stack. With my Cannabis meds in it. Right now 3 of the Tupperware's are full of gifts from a neighbor. Mostly Sat-dom's but with one huge bud labelled Hindu Kush that is very skunky and I usually smoke it in the afternoon/ evening.

I remember once I was visiting a dispensary in Vancouver, talking with the owner for about an hour. Some guy came in with some killer bud he had bought there. Said it didn't get him high. But that was all he was smoking - One strain, night and day.

I didn't say anything, but I knew if I was in his situation, I'd get tired of that one strain too.

JustSumTomatoes

Whelp, just got home from a sleep study. Funny thing was I didn't sleep at all. So yeah, insomnia fucking blows. The nurse told me I was the first patient to never fall asleep at the clinic, though many others had claimed this and had fallen asleep at some point themselves. Had my whole head and face covered in sensors to monitor my brainwaves and wires attached to my chest and legs. The thing that drove me nuts was the wires and tubes in my nose to monitor breathing. Still have a bunch of sticky shit stuck in my hair.

So I guess it's back to the doc so he can sling more pharmaceuticals that don't work at me and preach to me the importance of good sleep and sleep habits. I've been without the herb for quite a while. I can hardly wait to start growing again.

Green Squall

Not canna related, but turn the heat way down. Works for me. Also don't cheap out on your pillow and rotate your mattress every 3 months or so.

Not canna related, but turn the heat way down. Works for me. Also don't cheap out on your pillow and rotate your mattress every 3 months or so.

I can't stress what Green squall said enough. Seriously, do some youtube research on pillow configurations for side sleepers, belly sleepers, back sleepers etc.

I personally ended up throwing out my matress and just use a bunch of pillows according to the pillow set ups I saw on youtube. Once I figured out how to set up the pillows I went from stomach sleeper to side sleeper and can sleep for longer than 4 hours without waking up.

After a week or two like 90% of my back pain went away too.

urkle. You can get urkle S1 from CSI humboldt. Same with Bubba S1. GPS has a strain called Hibernate (Shuteye x Stardawg). I have some in the vault, but haven't smoked it yet. That's supposed to be a sleepy strain. Good luck

I smoke indicas all day and never have trouble sleeping. I think I may be unique as I can smoke Indicas all day and not really get that tired.

Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

I can't stress what Green squall said enough. Seriously, do some youtube research on pillow configurations for side sleepers, belly sleepers, back sleepers etc.

I personally ended up throwing out my matress and just use a bunch of pillows according to the pillow set ups I saw on youtube. Once I figured out how to set up the pillows I went from stomach sleeper to side sleeper and can sleep for longer than 4 hours without waking up.

After a week or two like 90% of my back pain went away too.

I agree. Having the proper head/neck/back support is important for good sleep and all around health. I probably could use a mattress upgrade at this point as mine has seen better days but my problem is I just can't sleep regardless of environment. Oddly enough I get my best sleep when I'm camping outdoors on the hard ground.

R

Rox

an over ripe bud full of CBN normally sends off within 5mins of hitting the pilow:tiphat:

Rondon

Iam telling you...serious bidniss..Drink a good tall of glass papaya juice...mango...or some other pure tropical fruit juice. About 2 hours before you want to crash out. Twist up a fatty old school of LA.Confidential..Cataract Kush..LA Affie..or Bubba. Smoke the whole frikin doober or as much as you can. These 4 strains are very similar and are pure couchlock narco indicas. The fruit juice helps it really kick in the body. You will be sleeping..I mean OUT too..within 2 to 3 hours guaranteed if those strains you grew or acquired are the real deal and grown right. No joke. Works every time for my patients and I. A deep good healthy sleep. And some really cool dreams. You might wake up groggy as fuk though. With sort of a "weed hangover" if you will. I always set a timer on my stereo to turn off in a couple hours and play some nice Jazz like Miles Davis or a long version of Darkstar from the good ole Grateful Dead. Puts me to sawing logs within an hour or two after this ritual.

Latest posts

Latest posts