What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

traveling with pot

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
im planning a trip out of state and was wondering if it would be worth it to try and bring my own weed with me
i live in california and will be visiting the state of texas, traveling by air
im am getting mixed signals from friends of mine who travel frequently
/everything from there is nothing to worry about to they are going to throw your ass in jail
i plan on bringing a modest amount, say 15-20g or so
any input or experience is appreciated!

troutman

Seed Whore
By vehicle maybe. By air I would avoid moving any drugs.

I'm sure your friend can hook you up with a supplier there. :tiphat:

superx

Veteran
When travelling around Europe i would usually plug it or sometimes swallow it, i aint arriving with out it.
Not sure how the body scanners work in your part of the world, usually down to random profiling I believe.
I am not advising this is how you should go about it, its what I do..

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Safe travels pop's.....

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
When traveling by car I have a carbon filter bag.
It has a zipper with lock and keeps the stink in.
I put an ounce of my stinkiest in ziplock then in my carbon filter bag and zip it up. Can't smell a thing till you unzip it.
I'm sure that like everything else, that with alot of use it would eventually lose effectiveness. Just like a carbon filter in a grow, the carbon pores will get clogged.

But air travel is a whole different ballgame. Can't really beat the x-rays.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
We are legal here and although we have ("free pratique" across the country) up to 30g in public, you are not permitted to travel abroad with it!

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
After 2002, I never took something in a plane or over a border (except Netherlands), before always but mostly Hash.

Pop Rock, I don´t would take the risk on a flight to Texas. But I am not an American and don´t know the real rules. Is medical marijuhana legal in a plane?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
After 2002, I never took something in a plane or over a border (except Netherlands), before always but mostly Hash.

Pop Rock, I don´t would take the risk on a flight to Texas. But I am not an American and don´t know the real rules. Is medical marijuhana legal in a plane?
If I am not mistaken, carded patients are only carded for their state. There is a movement afoot to recognize OFO cards but to my knowledge, that is still very much a "pipe dream" at this time.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
When I went to the Looney bin a few years ago I stashed 2 cans of dip tobacco in a baggie up between my butt cheeks.

Amynamous

I think the new scanners show a lot. I wouldn’t risk it either.
What about wrapping it real well using lots of duct tape and sending it to yourself in one of those small priority mail boxes.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
When we went places where we needed a bit of weed ahead of time, we would make one of those gift baskets wrapped in plastic, and hide a little bit inside one of the chocolate or coffee containers. Then ship it to the hotel you will be staying at and call the hotel to let them know a package might arrive for you and they should hold it if it arrives before you do. Never had any problems in 20+ years.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
If you have a safe address in texas I'd mail it USP Priority Mail. If they happen to smell it because it wasn't packaged correctly, they aren't going to open.
They don't have the tests to see if it is cbd or THC, and they don't want to get sued for seizing legal hemp.
They definitely don't have the money or extra manpower right now with all going on in the USPS.
The joke is if you want to smuggle cocaine right now then just send it in a box that smells like cannabis. They won't look at, just send it along

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Phoque dudes! Do what you use to do! You know where the phoque to go, unless you have a selective pallet! Phoque we always had weed, regardless of where we were, even 1000 miles from home and, now all of a sudden it's a problem? Are you friggin serious?

TahoeTops

I straight out asked TSA what the rules were. I only asked agents inside CA airports. But during my travels, I asked about a dozen separate agents and none of their answers were exactly the same.

But from what I could surmise, TSA is not looking for drugs! If they see a large amount, they will refer to the local sheriff and you will have to talk with them. I have traveled many times with a quart size jar full with no issues. But I am flying within CA. I don't think getting on the plane, especially in a legal state, is the issue. It is landing in Texas, which is not a legal state.

Good Luck!

St. Phatty

Sometimes you can forward stuff to the Hotel where you'll be staying.

Just send a box with a computer that happens to have a computer with some pot in it.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
Texas, dude.
In short, its not California.

Better off mailing it to yourself.
I used to travel a lot for work. I flew out of one state (back then it wasn't even quasi-legal ANYwhere) landed in another state, picked up a company vehicle and traveled across the states, by car, from there.

I knew I was going to be away from home for months at a time, so, I bagged up a qp, unsealed, no less, and shipped it to the hotel.
The dude behind the desk could smell it, too.
He just smiled, handed me my parcel, and asked if he could stop by the room after his shift.
I, gladly. obliged. Cool dude that I still talk to decades later.

Weed is wonderful.

STAY SAFE!

-cap

Fixer

I put joints and carts in my shaving kit and carry it on with me. Everyone I've asked says if the TSA even notices they just keep it. I have friends who own a dispensary and they fly all the time with carts and edibles. Of course it you can buy it when you get there that's the safest.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Bring a supply of edibles. I never have any trouble bringing a bunch of cookies in the same bag as my Hardees breakfast. Goes right through Xray just fine. Drink is another story.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
I straight out asked TSA what the rules were. I only asked agents inside CA airports. But during my travels, I asked about a dozen separate agents and none of their answers were exactly the same.

But from what I could surmise, TSA is not looking for drugs! If they see a large amount, they will refer to the local sheriff and you will have to talk with them. I have traveled many times with a quart size jar full with no issues. But I am flying within CA. I don't think getting on the plane, especially in a legal state, is the issue. It is landing in Texas, which is not a legal state.

Good Luck!

i have a friend who travels all the time and this is exactly what he told me
the tsa are looking for weapons and arent interested in small amounts of drugs, especially weed

i will totally be bringing a bunch of candies too, like flylowgethigh said; i plan on bringing a food bag with some treats tucking in with a sandwich and chips

i agree with amynamous that the scanners are very sensitive and they would see anything i tried to secret on my person
even if they arent looks for drugs, they might not like me trying to sneak shit through the checkpoint
the next best thing is to put it on the tray with my other personal items in a bag of food

thanks again for all the helpful ideas and i appreciate everyone who has chimed in to help!