What's new

Male S1 Kumaoni

thedudefresco

Last year my female kumaoni produced a few seeds (7 total).

Since I did not have any males last year, I am assuming it is a "selfed seed" since the plant flowered for a long time.

I planted it, and have been expecting a female since I read online that selfed seeds are generally female.

This is looking like a male though.

Are Male s1 seeds uncommon?

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 25

djonkoman

Veteran
well, it might be a very male-like herm, but my bet would be on it not being S1 seeds at all, just some random pollen blowing around with the wind.

did you actually see any balls in that female kumaoni from last year?

if it was really a herm, I'd expect more than just 7 seeds, 7 seeds in an entire plant fits more with a little random pollen blowing around.
unfortunatly hard to say for sure, unless you can look at some easy to obsrerve recessive trait. for example with my duckfoot-leaved plants I can immediatly spot it when a seed came from such random pollen, as the plants growing from it will have normal leaves.
I've definitely observed (few) seeds in outdoor plants that were not pollinated by any of my own plants, as seen by the normal leaves on the plants growing out of the seeds.

thedudefresco

well, it might be a very male-like herm, but my bet would be on it not being S1 seeds at all, just some random pollen blowing around with the wind.

did you actually see any balls in that female kumaoni from last year?

if it was really a herm, I'd expect more than just 7 seeds, 7 seeds in an entire plant fits more with a little random pollen blowing around.
unfortunatly hard to say for sure, unless you can look at some easy to obsrerve recessive trait. for example with my duckfoot-leaved plants I can immediatly spot it when a seed came from such random pollen, as the plants growing from it will have normal leaves.
I've definitely observed (few) seeds in outdoor plants that were not pollinated by any of my own plants, as seen by the normal leaves on the plants growing out of the seeds.

Appreciate the response. Makes sense to me. The most recognizable trait this plant has (which it retained from last year's mother), is that it's stems are crunchy.
None of my other plants have this type of crunchy stem. I remember it from last year, too, since the stems on the mother plant were a lot more brittle when supercropping. So it's retained that but that doesn't help me. In veg it looked the same to me. Anyways, its up to the thunder gods, not me.

Does the pic look like a herm or a male to you??

Lmao ,TBH hear me out. I gave a fren a cutting of this plant. This was his first year growing and he killed all the feminized seeds due to being a newbie. I swooped in to the rescue with a few cuttings but this sativa cutting was the star and has grown the most in his garden since everything else is flowering and those ones really were pushing it by the time they had rooted enough for me to give them to him. My boi hits me up the other day with a little pic and we are both so proud of how far "she" has come. ATM, he is so stoked and thinks this one plant will make up for the failed from-seed grows. So the fact that this turns out to be a male sucks lol. He will have a few dwarfs and a male. ugh lol

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
My Kuamoni female last year turned out to be a hermaphrodite. Much worse then yours, male flowers popping up all over. She would have knocked up my entire garden, I would have had 1000s of seeds if I hadn't culled it. She was a giant, 17, 18 feet tall by the end of August. How long did your Kuamoni female take to finish?

It could have been a hermaphrodite or it could have been stray pollen on the wind. Stray pollen is less likely. You should be able to tell from the progeny if it's a true bred Kuamoni or a hybrid. The Kuamoni has that quick tropical type of growth and gets big in a hurry. Even with hybrid vigor some of the out crosses should max out at a shorter height and show a different growth pattern.

thedudefresco

My Kuamoni female last year turned out to be a hermaphrodite. Much worse then yours, male flowers popping up all over. She would have knocked up my entire garden, I would have had 1000s of seeds if I hadn't culled it. She was a giant, 17, 18 feet tall by the end of August. How long did your Kuamoni female take to finish?

It could have been a hermaphrodite or it could have been stray pollen on the wind. Stray pollen is less likely. You should be able to tell from the progeny if it's a true bred Kuamoni or a hybrid. The Kuamoni has that quick tropical type of growth and gets big in a hurry. Even with hybrid vigor some of the out crosses should max out at a shorter height and show a different growth pattern.

I pulled it yesterday.

Last year the kumaoni was like 12 feet tall man.

thedudefresco

Oh and to answer your question about finish time.

Was not until Early December that I harvested. Some may have harvested earlier, but not much.