What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ability to achieve these sorts of colors outdoors?

thedudefresco

Hi all,

I'm sure most of you have seen breeder/seedbank photos of colorful cannabis like this:

Krazy-Runtz.jpg

(source)

Generally speaking, is it only possible to achieve this sort of coloring indoors, where specific spectrums of light are utilized in a manner not possible outdoors?

Or am I mistaken?

I've grown purple strains outdoors which usually change hues as the days get a bit chillier, but there is a plethora of photos like the one I linked to above I see all the time where the coloring is just insane, especially on the leaves.

Here is another example:
url

Source: https://www.seedsman.com/en/alaskan-purple-feminised-seeds

I'm actually growing one of the above purple alaskan's which I received as a freebie from seedsman.

Any way to encourage this type of colouring outdoors? Or is this the sort of thing mainly with indoor grow environments?

Thanks all

Hi all,

I'm sure most of you have seen breeder/seedbank photos of colorful cannabis like this:

View Image

(source)

Generally speaking, is it only possible to achieve this sort of coloring indoors, where specific spectrums of light are utilized in a manner not possible outdoors?

Or am I mistaken?

I've grown purple strains outdoors which usually change hues as the days get a bit chillier, but there is a plethora of photos like the one I linked to above I see all the time where the coloring is just insane, especially on the leaves.

Here is another example: View Image
Source: https://www.seedsman.com/en/alaskan-purple-feminised-seeds

I'm actually growing one of the above purple alaskan's which I received as a freebie from seedsman.

Any way to encourage this type of colouring outdoors? Or is this the sort of thing mainly with indoor grow environments?

Thanks all

I always associated color changes and colorful plants more so with plants that are grown outdoors, rather than indoors....

....I feel the cold nights of the fall influence the colors of a plant more so than the different spectrum of light that indoor plants are exposed to.

In some outdoor environments, perhaps the intensity of the sunlight and all of the elements of the outdoors "dulls" the colors a bit where if the plant was in a super clean and easy going indoor environment the colors would be a bit more vibrant and "pop" more..(?)......but cool nights along with allowing the plant to use up a lot of the nitrogen/low N during flowering should reveal the plants full potential of colors.

From what I understand...if the plant/soil still has a lot of nitrogen through mid/late flowering then the colors may not change & pop as much as they would otherwise.

I grew a "Tangieland" outdoors a few years ago that had purples, pinks, and golds during late flowering. Not the most vibrant colors but they were there.

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
It's genetics and who cares if the leaf is purple you need the buds to be purple try some pck crosses you will get purple for sure even with super hot weather at week 3 it starts in the solid purple vbud pheno the leaf will stay green bud 100%purple