What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cat Ash Fertilizer

Hi all!

First of all, thanks to everyone in this subforum! I learned most of what I know about soils in here.

My cat died recently. I had her cremated. I now have her ashes. I just added 20mL of her ashes into my bubbling compost tea.

Are animal ashes ok as a fertilizer?

I called the company and they said they didn't preserve the corpse in formaldehyde or added anything and that it's safe to be used as fertilizer.

I read somewhere that human ashes have too much salt to be used as fertilizers and that they would easily harm plants, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks!

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Since the tea is brewing already try it and report back.

Great granpappy u190 (bless his heart) used to always tell me “there is more than one way to skin a cat.”

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do pet ashes make good fertilizer?
The answer is no; Cremation ashes may be harmful when placed in the soil or around trees or plants in high concentrations. This is because ashes contain high concentrations of calcium and increase pH levels in the soil. Too much calcium in the soil can quickly reduce the supply of nitrogen and may limit photosynthesis.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
my cat got hit by a car and I burried him super deep in a raised bed, I planted a single tomato over him a month later , I swear to god the thing over grew my 8 foot steak, still the tallest tomato plant I ever grew, miss you digger boy

Thanks everyone!

I applied the tea with the 20ml of cat ashes and the plants didn't seem to have any problem with it :)

She was less than 4Kg, so I'm not sure that the advice given for 70kg humans' ashes is applicable here. My guess is at this kind of low concentrations it wouldn't pose a threat to the plants. However, I see no reason to risk it, so I'll just spread it at very low concentrations over several grows, which will have the added benefit of giving me more Mrs. Whiskars buds!

thedudefresco

Do pet ashes make good fertilizer?
The answer is no; Cremation ashes may be harmful when placed in the soil or around trees or plants in high concentrations. This is because ashes contain high concentrations of calcium and increase pH levels in the soil. Too much calcium in the soil can quickly reduce the supply of nitrogen and may limit photosynthesis.

As a sole form of nutrients I agree with you, but in this case it seems OP is ceremonially trying to turn his beloved cat into new life by spreading some ashes to enrich the plant. I dont think it would hurt at all in small amounts.

Wood Ash is super alkaline and a common amendment. You just have to be careful about it. The Alkalinity in ash actually can dramatically increase flowering if it is timed correctly because it balances the soil ph and contains lots of potash.

Depending on op's soil, the addition of alkalinity late season could balance the ph.

The potassium in ash is pretty bioavailable but the alkaline effect of the ash can limit veg growth.
If op wants to be smart about it he could wait till flower and then apply a half cup or so of the ash around the base of the plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts